Pit bulls banned in Montreal

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Montreal's controversial pit bull ban is officially on the books after city council passed a bylaw on Tuesday following a heated debate on the issue.

Council voted 37-23 in favour of the bylaw, which includes a ban on new pit bull-type dogs as of next month and restrictions on those currently in the city.

The vote was the culmination of an emotionally-charged debate that has raged for months, with Mayor Denis Coderre insisting the law is balanced and was drafted with safety in mind following several attacks, including one last June that resulted in the death of a 55-year-old woman in her backyard.

Coderre suggested the vast majority of those opposed to the regulation were against it because it banned a specific type of dog.

"We're balanced enough to say that those who already have a dog will be able to keep them under conditions," he told council.

Coun. Anie Samson said bans exist in some 900 cities in 40 countries around the world. Some Quebec communities have recently adopted similar bans, while laws are already in force in several large Canadian cities outside the province.

Samson quoted Montreal statistics that suggest pit bull-type dogs accounted for nearly 38 per cent of dog bites in the past 21 months — 137 out of 426 reported cases.

The Quebec government is also considering provincial legislation regarding the dogs.

Full: http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/176 ... n-Montreal
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Pit bulls banned in Montreal

Post by JLives »

I hope they are fans of spending lots of cash with little to no results. Toronto is having a hell of a time with attacks lately and they have few pitbulls anymore since they were banned 11 years ago. http://globalnews.ca/news/2527882/toron ... than-ever/ If you want results you have to go after the owners, we're the ones responsible for the control of the dogs.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Pit bulls are like automatic weapons: no one needs one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Gone_Fishin wrote:Pit bulls are like automatic weapons: no one needs one.

That is your opinion. No one needs any dog. I just showed you statistics that pitbull bans have not been effective in our largest city. More attacks than ever with a small handful of geriatric pitbulls left in the city. Other breeds fill the void. Bad owners continue to be bad owners and continue to be unaccountable with breed bans. As the evidence shows.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

JLives wrote:That is your opinion. No one needs any dog.

I need mine. He's a solid hunting dog that helps feed my family with extreme skills in finding and retrieving game. Pitbulls are utterly useless in that regard. No one needs a pitbull except to feed their massive egos.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gone_Fishin wrote:I need mine. He's a solid hunting dog that helps feed my family with extreme skills in finding and retrieving game. Pitbulls are utterly useless in that regard. No one needs a pitbull except to feed their massive egos.
I don't need a dog to help feed my family. No one actually needs a dog in the sense to provide.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Gone_Fishin wrote:I need mine. He's a solid hunting dog that helps feed my family with extreme skills in finding and retrieving game. Pitbulls are utterly useless in that regard. No one needs a pitbull except to feed their massive egos.

APBT's are great hunting dogs actually. They are very well used down south, especially for hunting hogs and wild boars. I have even met some used for herding. They are a very versatile breed with their main goal being to please their owners. Mine were mainly used for conformation, weight pull and being good breed ambassadors outside of being loved family pets.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Pitbulls are utterly useless in that regard. No one needs a pitbull except to feed their massive egos.
You might want to google a little - it's very apparent how well pitbulls are utilized in the hunting community.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Overall pitbulls might not be a bad dog, but the people that get pitbulls are usually get then for a crappy reason of having an aggressive animal therefore since you can't regulate the people you regulate the animal.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Veovis wrote:Overall pitbulls might not be a bad dog, but the people that get pitbulls are usually get then for a crappy reason of having an aggressive animal therefore since you can't regulate the people you regulate the animal.

Of course you can regulate people. We have many laws for just that purpose. It just takes more thought and effort then blaming the dog we made, own and are responsible for. The vast majority of APBT owners are normal, everyday folk. "APBT sleeps on couch all day then goes for walk and then back to couch" doesn't make the news though. We are a professional family and law abiding citizens, we certainly didn't acquire our APBT's for nefarious purposes.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

JLives wrote:I just showed you statistics that pitbull bans have not been effective in our largest city.

I wonder about the disclaimer in that article regarding the severity of the bites.

The bites reflected in the data vary in seriousness:
“People are afraid that they are going to get a disease from being bitten by an animal, so it doesn’t have to be severe at all for them to go to the doctor,” Leiher explains.

All the stats I have read regarding severe attacks, attacks resulting in hospitalization or death of the victim, show that severe attacks attributed to pit-bulls and pit-bull-like breeds often outnumber all other breeds combined.

I agree that the problem often lays with the owners and not the dogs, but when you have one particular breed type that always ends up in the forefront when it comes to maiming/fatal attacks is it not the prudent thing to do to remove that breed from the equation as best you can?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I don't dispute the fact that pit-bulls garner the lion's share of attention, the question here is whether or not that attention is deserved. There is a shortage of reliable dog bite statistics in Canada, for the most part we depend largely on trends revealed in American statistics.

A big part of the appeal of pit-bull type breeds is their "tough-guy" reputation, and that in itself tends to attract irresponsible owners.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

JLives wrote:Of course you can regulate people. We have many laws for just that purpose. It just takes more thought and effort then blaming the dog we made, own and are responsible for. The vast majority of APBT owners are normal, everyday folk. "APBT sleeps on couch all day then goes for walk and then back to couch" doesn't make the news though. We are a professional family and law abiding citizens, we certainly didn't acquire our APBT's for nefarious purposes.

Oddly, you want to regulate my firearms of choice rather than me, saying that I shouldn't be allowed to own a semi or an AR, irrespective of whether I'm a good or bad firearms owner.

However, you don't want your dog regulated, saying we should regulate people instead.

Please explain why you have an apparent hypocrisy in your statements.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

excellent question Rwede...
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Replying to subject line

GOOD!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Canada”