Pit bulls banned in Montreal

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Pit bulls banned in Montreal

Post by JLives »

hobbyguy wrote:Been thinking about this issue.

Maybe we should change the laws for all dogs. What got me thinking is the case in Surrey where two pitbulls mauled a couple, and diddly doo is being done.

As a dog owner I would be OK with this:

1. All dogs must be tattooed with a registration number, tied to the owner.
2. Change of ownership requires a "transfer document " (like used cars).
3. Tattoo number required to get the dog licensed, bigger fines for unlicensed.
4. Dog owners be automatically charged for medical system costs incurred if their dog attacks someone, vet bills if they attack another dog.
5. Make it explicit in the law that lost wages and other damages be the responsibility of the dog owner, and have a simplified court process for adjudication (automatic adjudication if claim submitted).
6. "First" offense dogs to be DNA tested at the owner's expense.

No breed discrimination there.

I would agree with all of this. #2 is particularly interesting, I hadn't considered that before. The only thing I would change is the tattoo to microchip, my girl is tattooed and it is now not readable.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Guru

Post by 1669 »

Another completely unprovoked pitbull attack. There should be no excuse for even 1 attack. These pitbulls should be put down.

“He said these dogs have no history and unless they had a history of biting another person in the past, only then, they’re able to ticket them… it looks like they’re not going to do anything,” he said.

The City of Surrey says it’s still investigating, but the dogs are now labelled dangerous and must be leashed/muzzled at all times.

The Sanghas say the breed should be deemed dangerous from the start, not after and attack, and they want the two dogs destroyed.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3013572/watch ... head-park/
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

hobbyguy wrote:Been thinking about this issue.

Maybe we should change the laws for all dogs. What got me thinking is the case in Surrey where two pitbulls mauled a couple, and diddly doo is being done.

As a dog owner I would be OK with this:

1. All dogs must be tattooed with a registration number, tied to the owner.
2. Change of ownership requires a "transfer document " (like used cars).
3. Tattoo number required to get the dog licensed, bigger fines for unlicensed.
4. Dog owners be automatically charged for medical system costs incurred if their dog attacks someone, vet bills if they attack another dog.
5. Make it explicit in the law that lost wages and other damages be the responsibility of the dog owner, and have a simplified court process for adjudication (automatic adjudication if claim submitted).
6. "First" offense dogs to be DNA tested at the owner's expense.

No breed discrimination there.

This is pretty much what JLives, Fancy and I have been saying in every BSL thread.

It would be important though to add a spay/neuter regulation as well in order to prevent backyard breeders from producing litters of mutts of questionable quality and temperament.
If you want to breed dogs, you must obtain a licence to do so.
( and low cost spay/neuter clinics would help the problem of strays and unwanted pups tremendously )

I have to agree about the tattoos - have never tattoo'd my dogs but have had other animals done and most become unreadable over time.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Probably microchips would be better.

Perhaps a requirement for insurance? Just like for cars? Not sure.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would like to see more incentive on the education side. I don't know how to set it up but it would be nice to have classes for new dog owners to learn basic training and what is expected of them as a dog owner. It's not always common sense and it helps with public safety.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

hobbyguy wrote:Probably microchips would be better.

Perhaps a requirement for insurance? Just like for cars? Not sure.

I'm not sure how insurance, as a requirement, would work. But it should be encouraged. I have coverage through house insurance (and have never been asked which breed I have). But, of course, it's different for renters, people in other living situations or homeless.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

FYI - from the Montreal website:
Guardians of dogs with a microchip must advise the microchip provider of any change to their contact information within 15 days of changing this information.
It's a start.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Make insurance mandatory, just like for cars. Then if someone gets injured, they are going to get compensated. I would probably have to pay a little extra because my dachshund is classified as aggressive by the "experts".
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's so much not being enforced right now and considering Montreal has an extremely low rate of licences being purchased, I have to wonder how insurance companies will go about ensuring compliance for those not on board (and it's not just the criminals who refuse to licence their pets).
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Easy peasey. Just like they do for car/boat insurance. No documents, no insurance. No insurance, no license.

Unlicensed dog = big fine. Automatic impound and fees.

Therefore, only responsible owners.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's only good if owners fess up to owning a dog.
Dog bites cost insurers millions of dollars each year. One insurer reported that they paid out $104 million resulting from 3,700 dog bite claims in 2013 in Canada and the U.S. Dog bites in Ontario alone cost $940,000. This number is typical of the insurer’s annual Ontario claims with the exception of 2012, which cost a record-breaking $2.4 million in insured losses.

https://www.insurancehotline.com/dogs-a ... insurance/
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

And that's why big penalties for unlicensed dogs.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There should be big fines to start with and doesn't address how insurance companies will coincide their policies with even licenced dogs.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

WE do not need all this bs, do not allow any dogs in the city. The city is not a place for big dogs, they get mean being penned etc. Dog owners in big cities are very selfish , they do not think of other people or of the dogs, or of all the crap that is left to stink up the place and cause diseases :200:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

By all means - start another thread. What you are suggesting has nothing to do with what is occurring and as you have been told before, Staffies are not classified as big dogs.

Return to “Canada”