Notley's delusions on carbon tax

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Notley's delusions on carbon tax

Post by Rwede »

New poll contradicts Notley's belief we back the NDP carbon tax

BY RICK BELL, CALGARY SUN
FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2016 03:13 PM MDT

Premier Notley should really get out more.

Earlier this week, the premier stood at Calgary's McDougall Centre singing the praises of the NDP carbon tax and somehow believing most of you actually backed this cash grab.

Few outside the NDP bubble agreed. Many have been loud about not agreeing.

But you still had to wonder who was right.

Now there's a poll by the well-respected ThinkHQ Public Affairs.

What a landscape of opposition. There is disapproval everywhere.

Most women disapprove. Most men disapprove. The old, the young and the middle-aged disapprove.

Those with little formal education disapprove. University grads disapprove.

All income groups disapprove. Even the folks getting rebate cheques from the government disapprove.

Here's a stunner.

In the poll, 40% of those who voted NDP in the last election disapprove.

So if an election were held today and people marked an X based on their view of the carbon tax many in the NDP would be almost certainly out the door.

The arithmetic couldn't get any clearer.

Almost two out of three Albertans disapprove of the NDP carbon tax. That's 63%, to be exact.

Almost half STRONGLY disapprove. That's 47% strongly shouting No.

Just 32% approve. Here's an important number.

Fewer than one in eight strongly approve.

These are the true believers.

Only 5% are unsure what they think.

snip

Of course, many individuals, opposition politicians and even an ink-stained columnist or two have brought up all the beefs.

The words fell on deaf ears plugged by ideology.

And let us remember, *removed* Premier Notley and her party DID NOT campaign on this carbon tax.

In fact, the NDP talked about how they would only raise taxes on the very highest earning Albertans.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/29/ne ... carbon-tax
Last edited by ferri on Oct 3rd, 2016, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Notley's delusions on carbon tax

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Just disgusting. This is why you just don't ever vote NDP.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As I've mentioned in another thread, as part of the Fed's approval LNG in BC the Province of BC agrees to increase the current Carbon Tax charged. BC Government has been hooked lined & sunked.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lng in bc is dead .
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Albertans can look forward to further deterioration in their economy as the NDP ratchets up government regulatory bureaucracy, imposes higher minimum wages on struggling businesses and introduces an unnecessary carbon tax, which will further erode any competitive advantage the province once enjoyed.

Nanny state governance, plus poor markets for beef, grains and energy have the potential to start an economic spiral that will take years, if not decades, to repair. If it's true that we get the government we deserve, Albertans must have been very naughty indeed.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
damager

Post by damager »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 2nd, 2016, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic / baiting.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I laugh when I see the whines about carbon tax. It doesn't even START to come in until 2017.

Alberta is in the boat of having very largely put all their eggs in one basket. Bitumen. That bet has, for the foreseeable future, just plain failed, as has how the Alberta PCs went about it.

It is a mix of making the province highly dependent on a single commodity, and poor government policy from the Redford crowd, back to Getty, that has created the current woes. That will ease a bit, but as the price of oil claws its way toward one that is livable for Alberta, other players could derail the future of bitumen production for Alberta in a heartbeat.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Revenue from Carbon tax on just gasoline & diesel sales in BC for 2015:

Brought into Provincial coffers just shy of $495,000,000

It is nice cash cow
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

GordonH wrote:Revenue from Carbon tax on just gasoline & diesel sales in BC for 2015:

Brought into Provincial coffers just shy of $495,000,000

It is nice cash cow

and that's all it is. Trying to sell it as any sort of positive to the environment is disingenuous and dishonest. Only the most gullible and naive would ever buy such nonsense.
Not afraid to say "It".
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

perhaps if industry, business, and the 1 percent didnt try so hard to dodge taxes there wouldnt be other ways thought up to collect them. especially from things that the 1 percent are the fondest in investing in.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually, the BC carbon tax has been shown to reduce consumption/output of GHG. It is part of the puzzle, and a part of the puzzle that the Albert oil and gas folks have been expecting, and have been prepared for quite some time.

The sour grapes gang conveniently forget that under Redford and the PCs, the producers were already paying a carbon tax...and the industry was expecting to pay more...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That's it exactly. Carbon taxes, more than anything else are a tool to get the public used to the idea that producing GHGs comes with a price. The fact that there is still an element that denies the effects of GHGs while wedging their fat behinds behind the wheels of their gas-guzzler for a three block drive to the grocery store is fast losing any measure of relevance in this debate. There will always be a degree of resistance for any measure that dips into our wallets, in this case the the magnitude of that resistance is directly proportional to the belief that our current lifestyle is having no effect on the environment.

The smart people are already working on reducing their carbon footprint, the rest are having another cigarette.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

The carbon tax has done far more to drive up the cost of food, the cost of building, maintaining and heating homes and businesses and schools and hospitals, the cost of delivering health care and education...well, the cost of everything... than it will ever, ever do to reduce pollution. The flyswatter smashes and crashes against everything in sight, and the flies continue to buzz on.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Canada”