Cdn minorities need to do more to 'fit in'...

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Cdn minorities need to do more to 'fit in'...

Post by Barney Google »

What say you, oh Forum Followers...

...do minorities in Canada need to do more to 'fit in' as

recent polls suggest we think they do?

If so what do they need to do to 'fit in'?

Or do Canadians 'need to get over ourselves' and just let folks do what they want?

Or...'polls, schmolls' they mean nothing and should be given no credence.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Cdn minorities need to do more to 'fit in'...

Post by jimmy4321 »

I see nothing wrong with that statement as it's to everyones benefit. Needless to say it opens more doors to learn the language and try to understand whats important to the majority.
Doesn't mean they can't celebrate their own culture.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

As old and tired as it sounds, when in Rome. I have laways felt this way when it comes to immigration.

Canada seems to lead the world in Gumby rules wherever minorities and refugees/immigrants etc are concerned.

I am not saying that those wishing to be here need to leave everything about their heritage behind. Religion is sacred and needs to be respected but so are our customs and heritage yet it seems that it doesn't take long for new folks to figure out that we don't like making waves and we wind up having debates about others rights while our own seem to get swept away.

It is all about respect. This is an English (yes, I said it) (actually, that ties in nicely with this topic doesn't it? You know, minorities withi our own borders making rules that affect the entire country? Nes pas?) speaking country by and large so learning how to effectively speak our language should be a priority.

No where on the planet could I go and demand that customs and religious considerations be altered to suit my needs so why do we seem to be so willing to bend?

We have the space so come one, come all but show us the respect and gratitude we deserve and allow us to be Canadians and all that means. Don't screw with us. Please.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

And will you feel the same when us born and bred Canadians become the minority?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Canadians didn't do much to "fit in" back in the day, so why should the new generation of Canadians?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I believe on the average many minorities should try to fit in more than they do. I have no problem with them bringing their culture etc. but it does become a problem when they try to force it on us. If it is something we want we will accept it but if it is totally against our principals it should never be accepted. Basically they should accept our culture which I believe is accepted as one of the better in the world and not try to change it to one they left for good reason.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Smurf wrote:I believe on the average many minorities should try to fit in more than they do. I have no problem with them bringing their culture etc. but it does become a problem when they try to force it on us. If it is something we want we will accept it but if it is totally against our principals it should never be accepted. Basically they should accept our culture which I believe is accepted as one of the better in the world and not try to change it to one they left for good reason.

Pretty much this.

When I travel overseas and I see the typical white foreigner yelling in English and being brash and inconsiderate, I am always disgusted. You're in another country. Assimilate and adapt.

The same is said for people who come here from other countries... be it Russia, Nigeria, Syria, Japan or anywhere. If you don't like the way we do things here, don't come.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Even Steven wrote:Canadians didn't do much to "fit in" back in the day, so why should the new generation of Canadians?

Wow, you win the ambiguity award.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Please, feel free to say less.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Please, feel free to say less.

When settlers arrived to Canada, they didn't quite fit into with Natives and did whatever they want.

Now that other settlers moving in, you want them no to change anything.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Even Steven wrote:When settlers arrived to Canada, they didn't quite fit into with Natives and did whatever they want.

So we should just ignore it all and hope they do to us what the people did then? There is a percentage of the immigrants that feel that way, small but true.

Personally I would like to continue to build a current and unified country than have the idea that "takeover" must occur.

There is a difference between no change and small changes to adjust to a new environment and live in harmony while retaining your history.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

TreeGuy wrote:And will you feel the same when us born and bred Canadians become the minority?

But, as immigrants become citizens and they have children who are "born and bred" here, they will simply add to the majority.
It will be difficult to have immigrants and non-citizens being a greater population than citizens.

Or, do you mean identifiable minorities....non-white? And I am not trying to bait or suggest anything other than I believe you are viewing born and bred as equaling white which is a view that is inconsistent with reality.

Looking at our own area, there are born and bred Japanese, Chinese and Indian people whose families have been here many decades longer than most people on this board. Yet, they would easily be lumped into a group of new immigrants. That would be a bit of a weird feeling for them, don't you think?
Where do we cut off the "born and bred"? Are the Oliver and Osoyoos Portuguese folks born and bred?

Will our mayor in Kelowna ever be considered born and bred? Even though he is more born and bred than most in Kelowna.
You and 71 others Like this post
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Canada is a democratic country, not a religious cult.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

When settlers arrived to Canada, they didn't quite fit into with Natives and did whatever they want.

Seriously? We are talking about todays world. Please don't dredge up the past yet again. we are talking about todays culture and todays challenges.

Return to “Canada”