Trick or Treating restrictions for kids

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Trick or Treating restrictions for kids

Post by Rosemary1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#178945

Article raised some thoughts on subject of Halloween in this day and age, especially trick or treating

Kids getting junk treats that must be inspected to ensure they are safe and untampered. Maybe door to door trick or treating has outlasted its time? . Some communities organize Halloween night events for younger children where they can dress up, play games and get a few treats in a safe environment. That may be the best alternative. Maybe its time to do away with door to door trick or treating or restrict it to children 11 and under accompanied by an adult before 7:30 pm?

Maybe older children /teens/adults should not be marauding streets after dark if their face is covered by a mask?
Deean
Fledgling

Re: Trick or Treating restrictions for kids

Post by Deean »

When I was a kid, we went trick or treating until the age of 12. I cannot remember any adults or teens dressing up. We did carve a pumpkin but nobody decorated their yard. We went door to door in our own neighborhood. Usually, we were home by 8. Now we have teens and older coming to the door up until 10 pm. I think its time to give it over to the little ones again.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

We have some restrictions here. They can have the Oh Henry bars and the Crispy Crunch, but darned if they're getting any of my Coffee Crisps.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

If someone wants to put in the time and effort to actually dress up and go door to door I will gladly hand out candy. I don't care if they are 1 or 99. There is such few activities for youth to do in Kelowna, and if a teenager wants to spend an evening going trick or treating with their friends/family who am I to squish their bubble!
hail Satan y'all
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Nothing has changed since I was a kid, including the risks.

My parents inspected our candy, and confiscated anything that was suspicious or subject to "Parent Tax".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If they want to knock on my door they will get candy. I don't care what their age is. Any leftovers my Wife will eat anyway and she doesn't need them and I shouldn't being Diabetic.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 25th, 2016, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 25th, 2016, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hail Satan y'all
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 25th, 2016, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

whatwhat wrote:If someone wants to put in the time and effort to actually dress up and go door to door I will gladly hand out candy. I don't care if they are 1 or 99. There is such few activities for youth to do in Kelowna, and if a teenager wants to spend an evening going trick or treating with their friends/family who am I to squish their bubble!

Whether or not there are other things to do, this is creative and harmless fun. We have very few teens in our neighbourhood, and I sure don't mind them popping by. So far, they've always been good sports on the years when I've run low too early and there are still little ones coming, or if I've already run out.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lights out - no treats left or no one home works well (so far).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Canada”