A carbon tax solves nothing

sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: A carbon tax solves nothing

Post by sooperphreek »

does anything a government does really have to solve anything? for instance - i dont seem to see that bill c-51 has ended terrorism or stopped people from signing up to be one. considering that fact - why should we accept it - and why was it even brought into play? not to mention that it will be a costly venture for all the spying we will be doing on canadian citizens. money that could be better spent elsewhere. yet - the people i see railing against a legislation from a government they dont approve of gets lambasted. while what the previous government did is accepted. i think this rankling from 2 particular apologists is shamelessly politically partisan in nature.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/china ... -1.3823786

cant use china as 3xcuse to pollute anymore
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's interesting to see the practical steps they're taking to address city air quality, including the centerpiece of the story, hydrogen.

They don't look at cradle to grave on any of the technologies they discuss, so here's some information about hydrogen you may find interesting:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a926/4199381/
Note that Bush championed this technology in the US.

There are more recent pieces analysing hydrogen as a fuel in the links in your story, but the chart in the Popular Mechanics piece, showing how different energy sources would provide the energy needed to produce hydrogen fuel, provides a lot of food for thought.

Your piece does not describe how the hydrogen used in China is being harvested. It would be interesting to know how much of it is coming from fossil fuels, how much of the energy used to "produce" it is coming from fossil fuel sources, how well the alternative energy sources are meeting the demand for energy to produce fossil fuels, and what consequences those technologies have for the environment.

Directing some of their resources to cleaning up the air in their cities is a very good thing, provided the methods they've chosen aren't contributing to bigger problems elsewhere. The piece doesn't mention how carbon tax fits into those methods.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

sooperphreek wrote:does anything a government does really have to solve anything? .

I guess not, because governments seldom solve any problems, they just create more problems.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”