Hey Liberals, leave our internet alone!

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

On the heels of their carbon tax, the Liberals are now considering a new digital tax on everything.

That means paying more for streaming services like Netflix!

And it doesn’t stop there.

On taxing internet service providers (ISP’s), Liberal Heritage Minister Melanie Joly says it’s a conversation she will “be having with the Minister of Finance, Bill Morneau.”

Canadians already pay some of the highest internet rates in the world - but that isn’t stopping the Liberals from taking more money out of your pocket to pay for their own irresponsible spending.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Hey Liberals, leave our internet alone!

Post by Omnitheo »

Source?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
K_teela
Fledgling

Post by K_teela »

Legally there is already a sales tax payable on netflix. http://globalnews.ca/news/2156646/the-netflix-tax-is-already-here-but-you-might-not-be-paying-it/

However Netflix has no presence in Canada so the services are considered "made outside of Canada". We should technically be filling out a self-assessment form and send in the sales tax...however nobody does this and enforcing it would cost more than it would generate.

If you've ever had Shomi or Crave TV, you would have been paying sales tax already because they're Canadian based...and so far Netflix is just slipping through a loophole which results in a disadvantage for any other competition.

Why do you think Netflix should be exempt?

I don't see any source on the taxing of ISP's (are they really not paying taxes currently?) and until it's proven otherwise, it feels like another to mislead...but I'll brush on the topic anyways anyways.
Our high internet costs are unfortunately due to Telus/Bell/Shaw ect not having to compete...this is mainly the fault of the CRTC allowing for price collusion between the big companies, and having them block off any competition from ever reaching the surface. Canada pays some of the highest prices in the world for internet/cable/phone...nothign will be done about it since nobody puts pressure on the topic, since we're all too busy arguing about more important issues like Taxi rides.

Besides, netflix has slowly been increasing their prices year after year...and their subscription numbers have only been increasing. I hardly think a 5% tax on the top of it will dissuade anyone.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Forty-five cents a month. I guess I'm off to the poor house.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Just another reach into the pockets of working Canadians by a millionaire trust fund boy.

Although the dollar amount is small on this particular issue, all this stuff adds up.

Carbon tax: $2,569/year per family

TFSA cut: $350/year per family on a modest investment return, and that doubles after year 1 when the next $5,000 in space is lost to $700/year, triples in year 3 to $1,050/year, etc, and doesn't even account for lost investment compounding within the TFSA due to the tax being grabbed by Ottawa

CPP tax hike: $1,360/year per family

On principle, we're seeing the death of working Canadian families orchestrated by a millionaire who will never need to work another day in his life.

Although his cheerleaders keep defending his actions, hoping for a legal doobie some day, I have to wonder if they'll ever stop and check how much money is in their wallets when this is all said and done.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Disgusting!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Yep . Just the beginning. Money grab to impose and support more ' Canadian content' notion of what folks in la di da land of Ottawa land think is good for Canadians. No Big Brother ??
Last edited by Rosemary1 on Oct 27th, 2016, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Rwede wrote:Although his cheerleaders keep defending his actions, hoping for a legal doobie some day, I have to wonder if they'll ever stop and check how much money is in their wallets when this is all said and done.

So tax on Netflix somehow means Trudeau supporters are potheads? Please explain?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Joly was noncommital in the CTV interview on whether the government is looking at charging GST or HST on streaming services, or whether it plans to institute a new tax on Internet services.

She previously rejected a “Netflix tax” that would see streaming services hand over a share of their revenue for the creation of CanCon, but “the prospect of millions in new revenues may be too tempting to resist,” wrote Michael Geist, a University of Ottawa professor who runs a prominent blog on media and digital technology.

Geist says the government could alternately charge sales tax on streaming services from abroad, while funnelling money to CanCon from spectrum fees paid by domestic broadcasters — the solution he prefers.

But charging a tax on Internet service instead would make it “less affordable, expanding the digital divide by placing Internet connectivity beyond the financial reach of more low-income Canadians,” Geist wrote.

Some in the media industry have argued that Internet services should pay towards CanCon, since they provide access to media much like broadcasters do. But the Supreme Court of Canada rejected that argument in a 2012 case, saying Internet providers are not subject to rules for broadcasters.

Still, “Joly’s legislative overhaul could involve changing the law to allow for the imposition of new fees on Internet services,” Geist wrote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/17 ... 26688.html

So, Trudeau's financial backers in the traditional Canadian media industry want to make internet services less affordable, forcing low income Canadians to opt for traditional Canadian media sources.

Whodathunkit?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

fluffy wrote:Forty-five cents a month. I guess I'm off to the poor house.

Reminds me when I would go grocery shopping with my kids,,,,,,,, I would have to explain to them that all these 99 cent things they wanted added up to a lot of money.

At least my kids understood it.

Surprising the adults don't.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

driveangry wrote:At least my kids understood it.

Surprising the adults don't.

Oh I understand it just fine, I just don't see a few nickels a month as anything worth whining about. Prices are going up across the board. I just try and make more money. If some people put half the effort into making a couple of extra bucks on the side that they invest in crying about government their quality of life would improve dramatically.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

fluffy wrote:Oh I understand it just fine, I just don't see a few nickels a month as anything worth whining about. Prices are going up across the board. I just try and make more money. If some people put half the effort into making a couple of extra bucks on the side that they invest in crying about government their quality of life would improve dramatically.

If the Liberals would stop wasting money on entitlements and control their spending, there would be no need to find new ways to tax every little thing. People wouldn't have to worry about trying to make a few extra bucks to make ends meet and start enjoying life a little.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

driveangry wrote:If the Liberals would stop wasting money on entitlements and control their spending, there would be no need to find new ways to tax every little thing. People wouldn't have to worry about trying to make a few extra bucks to make ends meet and start enjoying life a little.

Well hey, if people can't afford a few extra bucks for their Netflix maybe they shouldn't have Netflix. Or just move somewhere cheaper right so they can afford to enjoy their life a little bit??

Isn't that what righties always tell the people who can't afford to live here? Just move!
hail Satan y'all
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

whatwhat wrote:Well hey, if people can't afford a few extra bucks for their Netflix maybe they shouldn't have Netflix. Or just move somewhere cheaper right so they can afford to enjoy their life a little bit??

Isn't that what righties always tell the people who can't afford to live here? Just move!

I believe people should live within their means, if that makes me a "righty" so be it.

Maybe the liberals should try it

Return to “Canada”