300,000 new immigants a year

fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: 300,000 new immigants a year

Post by fvkasm2x »

The number of immigrants is a non issue. It doesn't matter if it's 20,000 or 800,000.

What matters is the TYPE of immigrant coming in. If they are healthy, capable of gainful employment, willing to learn English (or French, I guess), educated, etc... and have something to provide the country, then they can come from wherever and will be an asset to the country.

If they're "refugee" types, then they might not have much to offer and be more of a drain than a benefit.

As you can guess, I'm all for the former and not a big fan of the latter.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The irony when people with a poor grasp of the English language like a comment suggesting immigrants be forced to learn English.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

it's an almost guaranteed entry if you can speak French provided you will go to a non French speaking area.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I have to agree with the sentiment that we should not be increasing immigration at this time.

Why?

1. As several have pointed out we have many domestic issues that have NOT been sorted.
2. The REAL unemployment numbers are much higher than the statistical average numbers quoted. Averages are very misleading (which is why politicians like them). The quality of employment has declined significantly over the past 2-3 decades. If instead we were looking at "underemployment" numbers and employment quality, then the trends would not look so good.
3. The trends of opportunity for many folks "left behind" by globalization are not good. We need to fix that first.
4. People need time to adjust to changes. There are many signs that some Canadians need more time to adjust.

I understand that the government wants immigration so that we do not wind up in the "Japan trap" due to demographic shifts. I can agree with that. However, unless they take concrete steps to address the other imbalances, it won't work out very well.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well said..
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Here's an update on one Syrian family living in Ontario. I wonder how the rest are doing.
mae
Fledgling

Post by mae »

I happened to catch this news story last evening. The family seems to be adjusting pretty nicely to their new way of life. The kids that are in school are doing well and seem quite happy. My concern is with the father who desperately needs work now that his year of financial support is coming to an end. They didn't mention what resources were available to him to help him find work or if anyone was working to assist him with the process. Hopefully some company or person in the area has seen the news story and can maybe offer him a job. The group of people trying to get the elderly parents here should be concentrating instead on getting this family in a financially stable position first. I would think the father is feeling quite desperate right now with 4 children to feed and his wife expecting their 5th.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#185105 --its about time some one knows whats going on
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

one of my relatives is teaching English to Syrian refugees right now. Her main comment is that they all smoke like chimneys. I asked "who is paying for all of their cigarettes?" I guess I already know the answer to that one.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

The Green Barbarian wrote:one of my relatives is teaching English to Syrian refugees right now. Her main comment is that they all smoke like chimneys. I asked "who is paying for all of their cigarettes?" I guess I already know the answer to that one.

ya we are
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Guess who's gonna pay for their lung cancer treatments as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That's not the half of it. The language barrier when it comes to healthcare overall, the homecare supports including O2 in-home, and all the home support workers from RNs to CHWs. It's more than one issue or treatment schedule. But I ask you, if we think like that for them, then why not for Canadians who smoked here all their lives, even with all the in English warnings?

Where do we draw a line? Immigrants have to quit, but no one else does?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

i heard a CBC radio program a while back where former immigrants and refugees explained how it had been for them. The Canadian government spent taxpayer dollars to get them here and to provide housing and living assistance. They then had 3 years to establish themselves in Canada. After that they were required to begin repaying some of the costs involved. They were grateful and happy to be here and worked hard to do just that. Now apparently that repayment plan has all been scrapped ... and the former immigrants/refugees don't think it's right.

...neither do i.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

sobrohusfat wrote:i heard a CBC radio program a while back where former immigrants and refugees explained how it had been for them. The Canadian government spent taxpayer dollars to get them here and to provide housing and living assistance. They then had 3 years to establish themselves in Canada. After that they were required to begin repaying some of the costs involved. They were grateful and happy to be here and worked hard to do just that. Now apparently that repayment plan has all been scrapped ... and the former immigrants/refugees don't think it's right.

...neither do i.

the repayment plan was a lie from the start
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Protesters in Toronto assemble in front of U.S. consulate drumming, chanting, holding signs
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/p ... -1.3967434

Thousands of people have gathered in downtown Toronto to protest against Islamophobia in front of the U.S. consulate, with similar demonstrations taking place across the country in Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver and across the Maritimes.

Organizers of the protest on Saturday say they want the Canadian government to condemn a controversial executive order by U.S. President Donald Trump that bans citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the U.S. That message was reflected on Saturday with protesters drumming, chanting and holding signs to show their opposition to Trump's policies.

-------------------* SNIPpalam Alakum *--------------------------

"Canada must end racist, anti-refugee, anti-black, Islamophobic exclusion of migrants and refugees," the post reads.

Organizers also said they want to repeal federal legislation that they believe targets Muslims, including the Zero Tolerance for Barbaric Cultural Practices Act, a 2015 law aimed at preventing forced marriage, polygamy and "honour killings."

------------------* SNIPpah Hu-ackbar *---------------------------

Police also said they detained a man on Saturday who was shouting at the protesters, but he will be released later in the day without being charged. He was being held at Toronto Police Service's 52 Division.

"We detained him for his own safety," Const. Victor Kwong said.

"...for his own safety..."

hmm - let that sink... way ...in

Since He and his ilk are the big bad nasty meanies, why would his safety ever have been in question?
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."

Return to “Canada”