Rear-Back up car CAMS required on all new cars by 2018

ogopogodude
Fledgling

Rear-Back up car CAMS required on all new cars by 2018

Post by ogopogodude »

Marc Garneau (Transport Canada) announced the other day that ALL NEW vehicles manufactured that are to be used on Canada's roadways MUST be equipped with rear back up cameras (to reduce chances of running over toddler's etc).

This is WONDERFUL news. Finally..! (.. I would appreciate if somebody would put a link to this announcement as I am not as efficient at doing so)

Now, if only legislation could be enacted to require all new cars to have incorporated a forward (and even also rear) facing looping memory car dash cams THEN roadways of Canada would be amazingly safe.

Lawyers would be screaming "STOP THIS NONSENSE" as ambiguity and cloudiness of at-fault claims would certainly take a slice out of there wallet. But imagine how our insurance rates would literally plummet, or certainly decrease, due to fewer accidents and such.
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Rear-Back up car CAMS required on all new cars by 2018

Post by Atomoa »

I have almost been backed into multiple times this summer I believe in part due to massive SUV drivers relying on their camera and not realizing the corner of their bumper is about to crush my drivers side door.

So, less shoulder checking?

Great.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ogopogodude wrote:
Now, if only legislation could be enacted to require all new cars to have incorporated a forward (and even also rear) facing looping memory car dash cams THEN roadways of Canada would be amazingly safe.

How would a forward facing cam make our road ways amazingly safe?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My car has one of these and the only thing I find it helpful for is backing into a parking spot. There is not enough side view to be helpful backing out of a spot and doesn't stop the idiots in a parking lot of continuing to walk behind when you are moving. If you are staring at the screen then you will not see anything approaching from the sides. As far as helping with hitting a child it takes forever for my camera to start first thing in the morning. I am backed out of the garage and started forward before it even kicks in. It does start faster after you drive for awhile.

The only thing that will be perfectly safe is 360 degree sensing with auto braking.

As for making the roads safer the only thing that will help that is to remove humans from the driver seat!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ogopogodude wrote:But imagine how our insurance rates would literally plummet, or certainly decrease, due to fewer accidents and such.

Surely, you don't mean ICBC? LMAO - lower our premiums :spitcoffee:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The rates would probably increase because now they will have to replace 2 cameras in every crash!
ogopogodude
Fledgling

Post by ogopogodude »

[/quote]
How would a forward facing cam make our road ways amazingly safe?[/quote]

I could make a very verbose answer, ... but in two words: "Hawthorne Effect"
ogopogodude
Fledgling

Post by ogopogodude »

For example: When one is in an elevator, ... one rarely picks one's nose and eats it. Because they KNOW there is a camera up in the corner.

Sorry for being crude, ..
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Dumbing down the operation of a motor vehicle.
-Vehicles that parallel park themselves.
-Systems to prevent you from rearending vehicles.
-Systems that prevent you from dangerous lane changes.
-backup cams

Talk about enabling these people who don't pay attention while driving,texting,grooming,feeding etc. Making a vehicle idiot proof only means idiots will be driving them.
Can't beat them join them i guess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ogopogodude wrote:

How would a forward facing cam make our road ways amazingly safe?[/quote]

I could make a very verbose answer, ... but in two words: "Hawthorne Effect"[/quote]

The idiots are on camera all the time and it hasn't stopped them yet.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

ogopogodude wrote:For example: When one is in an elevator, ... one rarely picks one's nose and eats it. Because they KNOW there is a camera up in the corner.

Sorry for being crude, ..

Many commercial vehicles have these types of systems, their driving patterns haven't changed. Neither will the driving patterns of Average Joe. Good thought tho.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Personally, I think it's a little over the top.

1 step at a time. The concern is backing over people/children. Those rear proximity sensors/alerts are much more effective at doing this than a camera.

I have a camera on a full sized pickup, and like others - I rarely look at it. Perhaps a quick glance to see if anything is there that I didn't see, but mirrors and windows are much more useful and the proximity sensors alert me to anything being close. The only time I'm glad I have the camera is when I'm hooking up the trailer - really nice to be able to see the ball and hitch to back up to the perfect spot.

Return to “Canada”