Employment situation after 1 year of Trudeau

K_teela
Fledgling

Employment situation after 1 year of Trudeau

Post by K_teela »

This is more of a response to a post I was going to reply to earlier, however I see it's since been removed by what I can only expect to be the regular dose of toxicity in these forums.

Anyways, the post was something about claiming that the sky is falling since some 23k full time jobs were lost last month.
Well what wasn't also mentioned (what a surprise) is that month also saw a gain of 67k part time jobs.

There has always been a natural ebb and flow to job rates...however it seems every time there's something slightly negative...we have memes from rebel"media" posted all over these forums.

However why don't we look at the bigger picture? The information is not hard to find, some are just willfully blind to it.

It's been about a year now, since Trudeau replaced Harper...and so far the figures look something like this:

Full time jobs are up 25.2k from this time last year.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/full-time-employment

Part time jobs are up 90.1k from this time last year.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/part-time-employment

Unemployment rate is down from 7.1% to 7.0% from this time last year.

I wholeheartedly apologize to anyone who finds themselves feeling offended or distraught by reading real life facts and statistics.

I understand these small gains hardly hold any significance overall, but things are hardly as bleak as the misinformants of these forums are attempting to portray with their memes.

Though the trend of full time jobs being lost to part time jobs will slowly continue no matter who is in government...we may see some short term gains due to stimulus however in the end jobs are being lost to several factors which mostly include people being replaced by technology/software, jobs being moved to countries with cheap labour/less regulation as well as the increasing trend of some larger corporations only hiring part time workers to avoid paying for certain benefits.
I see what you did

Re: Employment situation after 1 year of Trudeau

Post by I see what you did »

:popcorn:

this should get interesting
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I think that the OP's last paragraph is telling. It has become "the new normal" to see a constant erosion of our job markets. Along with that a steady erosion of real purchasing power.

This is largely driven by the "back half" of our "trade" deals. That is the largely undiscussed and unnoticed "Trojan Horse" in these deals. "We" cede huge power to sociopathic multinational corporations to do whatever they want. They then abuse the average citizen in every way they can, with everything from pension raiding schemes to tax avoidance to "buy and close" profitable facilities for market share and a few cents more profit per share and many more "schemes" like price fixing and hedge funds milking both stock markets and commodities markets.

I do not think the Trudeau government is on the right track in this regard. Slightly better than the Harper government, but not much.

It is time to really question the fundamental approach of our federal governments. Canada has everything going for it. Lots of space, farmland, water, a plethora of resources. It makes no sense whatsoever that we have a large proportion of our citizenry struggling economically.

And no, I don''t see the NDP offering any real solutions.

JT and crew promised to "build the economy from the middle out", but I see little real effort in that regard, instead I see CETA and TPP. Both of those will be bad for small business and bad for the average citizen. IF, as many believe (Sanders and Trump supporters) that NAFTA isn't working for the American citizenry, what makes us think that such deals will work for Canadians? Surely the Americans are in a better position than Canadians to benefit from NAFTA.

I have written to our local MP expressing the fact that while I don't mind "trade" deals, I am vehemently opposed to the foreign investment deals that go with them.

Do you really think that the Russian company that bought IPSCO cares about jobs in Saskatchewan? Or US Steel cares about jobs in Hamilton? etc. etc. etc. They are just milking profits and not investing in Canada.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*don't start that nonsense here. start your own thread in Bickering. thank you.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”