24 Sussex Drive

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

24 Sussex Drive

Post by GordonH »

This is what happens when needed repairs are constantly put on the back burner, it ends up becoming huge bill.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3086119/repai ... 8m-report/

Choices are either have it done or leave it for the next PM to deal with.

Added later: Or bulldoze and start from scratch
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Veovis
Guru

Re: 24 Sussex Drive

Post by Veovis »

GordonH wrote:This is what happens when needed repairs are constantly put on the back burner, it ends up becoming huge bill.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3086119/repai ... 8m-report/

Choices are either have it done or leave it for the next PM to deal with.

Added later: Or bulldoze and start from scratch

Wouldn't it be cheaper to tear it down and build something new?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I do agree however with the kinda of money they're talking about , tear it down and build a modern home with the latest in efficiencies. Though not Trudeau as he'll never live it down.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

impo bulldoze it down, build a new house fitting for the head of state in Canada (respectful).
Have the plans/drawings including total cost, approved by All political Party agreement.

Just as Parliament Hill was & is needed, so does official residents of PM and the Leader of Opposition.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Well I am sure one of the reasons against tearing it down is the "history" of the building. It was built in 1898 (148 years old!) but wasn't used for PM residence until the 1950's.

It is sad that it wasn't upkept through the years, as it seems the last time it was really renovated was the 1950's. I am sure it is/was a beautiful building, and would be sad to see a part of Canadian heritage torn down but I can see the view point of just re-building as it would cost a lot to fix it up.
hail Satan y'all
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

whatwhat wrote:Well I am sure one of the reasons against tearing it down is the "history" of the building. It was built in 1898 (148 years old!) but wasn't used for PM residence until the 1950's.

It is sad that it wasn't upkept through the years, as it seems the last time it was really renovated was the 1950's. I am sure it is/was a beautiful building, and would be sad to see a part of Canadian heritage torn down but I can see the view point of just re-building as it would cost a lot to fix it up.

I understand the entire, save it for history, concept. However at some point it becomes silly. That and I'm not sure it needs a new guest wing and pool, but heck why not.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

whatwhat wrote:Well I am sure one of the reasons against tearing it down is the "history" of the building. It was built in 1898 (148 years old!) but wasn't used for PM residence until the 1950's.

Sorry, but you're lying. Global says it's 150 years old, and they are a much more reliable source than you! [icon_lol2.gif]

In all seriousness, I agree that the historical component is a big part of it. I suspect that building a new building like that would cost $40M anyway.
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 25th, 2016, 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Glacier wrote:Sorry, but you're lying. Global says it's 150 years old, and they are a much more reliable source than you! [icon_lol2.gif]

In all seriousness, I agree that the historical component is a big part of it. I suspect that building a new building like with would cost $40M anyway.

Lol even my math was wrong (math before coffee=bad idea), it is only 118 years old but still old as heck.
hail Satan y'all
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

whatwhat wrote:Lol even my math was wrong (math before coffee=bad idea), it is only 118 years old but still old as heck.

You're math is right... it was completed in 1868!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Glacier wrote:You're math is right... it was completed in 1868!

Oh there we go, apparently today is not my day lol. :)
hail Satan y'all
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Buckingham is due for £400 million in renos, so Sussex is a bargain!

Basically damned if you do, damned if you don't in this situation.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Reno it, for the $12mm and don't build the other buildings....just fix the pluming and electrical.

Building a new home scares the hell out of me.
I can see the feds starting with a budget of $100mm for the "White house north" and blowing it completely and it costing $250mm when its all said and done.

No way I trust the liberals with a vanity project of this nature.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hassel99 wrote:Reno it, for the $12mm and don't build the other buildings....just fix the pluming and electrical.

Building a new home scares the hell out of me.
I can see the feds starting with a budget of $100mm for the "White house north" and blowing it completely and it costing $250mm when its all said and done.

No way I trust the liberals with a vanity project of this nature.

That's why I posted it should be an All Party issue, not just 1. The decision on what will happen is up to National Capital Commission.

It was never built as PM official residents, it was wedding gift from a lumberman/MP to his bride.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

24 Sussex has no Canadian historical value. None. Sure, it's an old house, but it's no more special than the old house down the road. Knock it down and build a new one.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is idea:

Sell the property use that money to build PM residents on a part of the property at Rideau Hall. Since Rideau Hall is on a large piece of property.

Return to “Canada”