Trump and GOP want to tax Canada

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Trump and GOP want to tax Canada

Post by maryjane48 »

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/14150538

10 percent tax on all non oil products ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Trump and gop want to tax canada

Post by maryjane48 »

lol i didnt think any of the candian trumpets would comment on this ,be tough to defend a american over canadian jobs and familys :smt045
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

The issue of tariffs is huge in the news these days with the auto industry waiting to see what happens.

Trump is very much "pro usa" in that he wants everything made there and if it isn't then he wants to go after companies that make things outside the US and sell to the Americans.

Most Canadians would agree that this is a serious risk to our economy as they are our biggest trading partner.

However, just look at how our government is looking into a "netflix tax"

"With the federal budget just weeks away, a document has surfaced showing the Liberal government has been studying whether to enforce sales taxes on foreign firms that sell digital services through the web to Canadians."

So we in essence would be doing exactly the same thing.

2017 will be an interesting year.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

a tax 9n netflix wont cause canadians to lose jobs . if trump goes ahead with it there no reason for ford or gm to stay in canada .tens of thousands jobs lost and there a4e canadians on this forum cheering trump on . in any other time they would be traitors and thrown in jail.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 17th, 2017, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 17th, 2017, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 17th, 2017, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I am all for Trump taxing imported goods, and think that Canada should do the same.
It might encourage some manufactures to actually stay here rather than pack up and move to wherever it's cheapest.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

stuphoto wrote:I am all for Trump taxing imported goods, and think that Canada should do the same.
It might encourage some manufactures to actually stay here rather than pack up and move to wherever it's cheapest.

Agreed. It's ridiculous to think that free trade could possibly help a country like Canada or the USA. Wage gaps in third world countries cause huge imbalances. I would never blame a business for moving jobs out of Canada; how else would they stay competitive with all the crap coming into the country? Sure things might cost a little more to have made in Canada, but there would be an influx in jobs. The only thing a more protective trading boarder would do is drop our exports as other countries wouldn't want our more expensive goods, which would annoy large global companies.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

stuphoto wrote:I am all for Trump taxing imported goods, and think that Canada should do the same.

ok but if trump starts causing canadians to lose jobs then what ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

oh really spark . you for or against unions ? the thing is these companies wont magically move back north america and in fact the gop will never pass a bill stopping american companies from doing that . they started it .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

maryjane48 wrote:oh really spark . you for or against unions ? the thing is these companies wont magically move back north america and in fact the gop will never pass a bill stopping american companies from doing that . they started it .

I am unsure what unions have to do with this; to provide you with an answer, I am for and against unions. It's a touchy subject as they provide help for honest people in the workforce while also protecting people I would say abuse union power.

Doesn't matter if companies move back. If there is a tax on their goods coming in that would equate to the cost to be made in Canada, new companies will emerge with Canadian jobs.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Trump and GOP want to tax Canada

Post by maryjane48 »

well facts are if trump goes protectionist one of 2 things will happen as far as canada is concerned . ine is canada gets bunch of manufacturing jobs as some companies might say screw you trump or canada loses jobs and americans start paying alot more .
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

maryjane48 wrote:well facts are if trump goes protectionist one of 2 things will happen as far as canada is concerned . ine is canada gets bunch of manufacturing jobs as some companies might say screw you trump or canada loses jobs and americans start paying alot more .

I do not understand your logic. If the US creates laws to become a more protectionist country Canada will not gain jobs. It will cost too much to import Canadian goods and therefore jobs would return to the US. If the US moves to protectionism cost of some goods will go up, but not by much, eg. electronics, cars, mass produced items. More jobs will be created to produce all the items that were imported before.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

an apple phone made in china now costs what ? 700 give ir take . you really think apple is going to take a loss to move manufacturing back to usa ? lmao . that phone will go from 700 to 1400 .

Return to “Canada”