Pipeline spill on nativeland

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Pipeline spill on nativeland

Post by Barney Google »

This might appear a bit off topic but I think it's important to keep in mind where some of these Big Oil companies as based in.

For instance, where is Shell based? How many pipelines are in that country?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I am definitely in favour of pipelines. We have to remember they are evolving as fast as tankers as are methods of discovering leaks. Also if we are worried about pollution as a whole think of the pollution for those tanker trucks to haul that oil from say Alberta to Texas. Not only that think of the trucks it would take to get the amount of oil a pipeline could get down there in just one day. You would have to have a steady line of heavy polluting trucks running 24 hours a day partly due volume and partly due to distance. On top of that think of keeping up the highways under all those loads. Cost, pollution, accidents, you name it. Trains would probably be better than trucks but I still do not believe they are an honest solution to pipelines.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Information and a related interesting map showing the oil/gas related pipelines in The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. Due to the tiny size of the countries they actually have away more than North America has or ever will have. I actually thought it was kind of amazing looking at them all.

http://www.theodora.com/pipelines/germa ... s.html#map
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Sadly Ken7 you hit on a very good point, the trouble being it goes both ways and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I doubt there are any of these groups that aren't financed by one side or the other and therefore have a tendency to be at least a bit biased. Having said that I believe also that most of the people doing it probably believe in what they are doing and are doing their best to get the information out there. I am not talking about the radicals whom we see away too much of.

Gypsylady
Fledgling

Post by Gypsylady »

why say a spill on native land, a spill is a spill , it is not whose land it is on. is their land more import :smt045 ant then mine?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Gypsylady wrote:why say a spill on native land, a spill is a spill , it is not whose land it is on. is their land more import :smt045 ant then mine?

AND it is more like a "leak" than a spill. Those terms don't make for good headlines though.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Gypsylady wrote:why say a spill on native land, a spill is a spill , it is not whose land it is on. is their land more import :smt045 ant then mine?

does yours have pipeline on it?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

It's rather interesting that Keystone XL will add 0.03% in overall distance to existing North American pipelines.

0.03%. That's worth all the hullabaloo?

Or is it just a project chosen by the radical left wing eco-nuts as one from which they can raise significant donations?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

If the pipelines are not built, they just cut the pipe into varying lengths,
put wheels under them, and send them out on rail and road.

The oil is going to flow regardless !
Last edited by dirtybiker on Jan 28th, 2017, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

A professional colleague of my in the States sent me this map...

US pipeline map.jpg
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rwede wrote:It's rather interesting that Keystone XL will add 0.03% in overall distance to existing North American pipelines.

0.03%. That's worth all the hullabaloo?

Or is it just a project chosen by the radical left wing eco-nuts as one from which they can raise significant donations?

um so the american ranchers that do not want more pipelines on their ranches are leftists enviro nuts ? so you calling half of alberta leftists enviro nuts ? why are ranchers leftist enviro nuts ?
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

Off Topic Personal attack.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Feb 4th, 2017, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Canada”