Attack on Canadian mosque leaves 6 dead

Omnitheo
Guru

Attack on Canadian mosque leaves 6 dead

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/mont ... -1.3957686

Six men died in the shooting during evening prayers at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec (Islamic cultural centre of Quebec). Nineteen people were also wounded.

Police refuse to reveal any information about the men other than the fact they are in their late 20s or early 30s.

Police also said it's too early to know the motive, what charges may be laid or when they will appear in court.

Premier Philippe Couillard has described the shooting as a "murderous act directed at a specific community."
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Attack on Canadian mosque leaves 6 dead

Post by Omnitheo »

http://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2017/01/29/sta ... ity-quebec

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, issued the following statement today after hearing of the fatal shooting at the Centre culturel islamique de Québec located in the Ste-Foy neighbourhood of the city of Québec:

“It was with tremendous shock, sadness and anger that I heard of this evening’s tragic and fatal shooting at the Centre culturel islamique de Québec located in the Ste-Foy neighbourhood of the city of Québec.

“We condemn this terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of all those who have died, and we wish a speedy recovery to those who have been injured.

“While authorities are still investigating and details continue to be confirmed, it is heart-wrenching to see such senseless violence. Diversity is our strength, and religious tolerance is a value that we, as Canadians, hold dear.

“Muslim-Canadians are an important part of our national fabric, and these senseless acts have no place in our communities, cities and country. Canadian law enforcement agencies will protect the rights of all Canadians, and will make every effort to apprehend the perpetrators of this act and all acts of intolerance.

“Tonight, we grieve with the people of Ste-Foy and all Canadians.”
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-mosque-shooting-five-remain-in-critical-condition-following-attack
The two suspects in Sunday’s terror attacks on a mosque in Quebec City are Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir.

One of the suspects was arrested at the scene, while a second called 911 himself and was arrested around 9 p.m., just over an hour after the first 911 calls came in at 7:55 p.m., police said Monday morning during a news conference involving the Sûreté du Québec, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Quebec City police and Montreal police.

Quebec City police Insp. Denis Turcotte said the man who called 911 waited for officers to arrest him not long after the shooting at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec in Quebec City’s Ste-Foy neighbourhood.

“He was armed and spoke to us about his acts,” said Turcotte. “He seemed to want to co-operate….The suspect said he was waiting for the police to arrive.”
hail Satan y'all
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Latest updates on CBC say two have been arrested. No motive mentioned yet in that report.

In another article Trudeau is stated as referring to the incident and condemning it as as a terrorist attack.

What a terribly horrid tragedy!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

It is just a case of workplace violence as Islam is the religion of peace and presents no danger to any Canadians.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

So the two suspects are Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed el Khadir.
Bit of an odd couple there when you start thinking about motivation.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

jimmy4321 wrote:So the two suspects are Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed el Khadir.
Bit of an odd couple there when you start thinking about motivation.

Not really. ISIS has been radicalizing all kinds of people from all walks of life in Western countries. Doesn't matter if their name is Mohamed or Alexandre.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Sounds like Khadir was mistakenly arrested and was a witness and released, though this story is changing quickly.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I understand how things can be chaotic, but wow, to release the guys name, and then realize 12 hours after the shooting that he's a witness, not a suspect, seems like a huge police screw-up. Is there a second gunman out there somewhere?

My condolences to the families of the victims.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Is there any evidence that this is Islamic radicalization? Or is this just speculation.

i would caution against trying to politicize this tragedy
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

You have to wonder if Trump's actions and things he said during his campaign have emboldened some people to do this type of thing, especially in the US. I'm sure that there are lots of Trump supporters (e.g. the ones giving Nazi salutes at his rallies) who think that it's open season on minorities and that they have tacit approval from the President to do whatever they want.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

please this crap has been going on long before trump became in charge

its a miracle this has not happened before already
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

techrtr wrote:You have to wonder if Trump's actions and things he said during his campaign have emboldened some people to do this type of thing, especially in the US. I'm sure that there are lots of Trump supporters (e.g. the ones giving Nazi salutes at his rallies) who think that it's open season on minorities and that they have tacit approval from the President to do whatever they want.

You have to wonder if Trudeau's actions and things he said during his campaign have emboldened some people to do this type of thing, especially in Canada. I'm sure that there are lots of Trudeau supporters (e.g. the ones giving $5000 to speak to him) who think that it's open season on minorities and that they have tacit approval from the Prime Minister to do whatever they want.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:
techrtr wrote:You have to wonder if Trump's actions and things he said during his campaign have emboldened some people to do this type of thing, especially in the US. I'm sure that there are lots of Trump supporters (e.g. the ones giving Nazi salutes at his rallies) who think that it's open season on minorities and that they have tacit approval from the President to do whatever they want.

You have to wonder if Trudeau's actions and things he said during his campaign have emboldened some people to do this type of thing, especially in Canada. I'm sure that there are lots of Trudeau supporters (e.g. the ones giving $5000 to speak to him) who think that it's open season on minorities and that they have tacit approval from the Prime Minister to do whatever they want.

good point
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
i would caution against trying to politicize this tragedy

I would also caution against this too. We don't want to speculate on motives here and endanger any French Canadians by engaging in Franco-phobia. This fellow might be just been mentally disturbed and acting of his own volition.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”