Trudeau drops electoral reform

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Trudeau drops electoral reform

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Does this surprise anybody?

Ok - so now the next time a Conservative gets elected with a 39% popular vote, just like Harper did, and then Trudeau did in 2015, can all of the panicky idiots shut their cake-holes about electoral reform???? Trudeau farted in a glove for you guys, and that fart has moved on.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is abandoning his long-held promise to change the way Canadians vote in federal elections.

In a mandate letter for newly appointed Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould, Trudeau makes it clear that electoral reform — once top of mind for the Liberal government — is no longer on the agenda.

"Changing the electoral system will not be in your mandate," the prime minister writes in the letter, released Wednesday.

A variety of consultations across the country have shown that Canadians are not clamouring for a change in the way they choose their federal government, the letter continues. It also rules out the possibility of a national referendum.

"A clear preference for a new electoral system, let alone a consensus, has not emerged," Trudeau writes. "Furthermore, without a clear preference or a clear question, a referendum would not be in Canada's interest."

Trudeau repeatedly promised — both as a campaigning Liberal leader and as prime minister in a speech from the throne — to get rid of the current first-past-the-post voting system in time for the 2019 federal election.

The Liberals have since given themselves some wiggle room, saying they would not go ahead without the widespread support of Canadians.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Trudeau drops electoral reform

Post by Rwede »

Well, there goes a billion or two to test the waters.

I guess Trudeau just couldn't sneak in a system that would ensure Liberal victories when Canadians demanded, to Justin's horror, a referendum.

Good job Canada, you thwarted his attempt to subjugate the democratic voting process that has served us for 150 years.

PM drops reform promise

The Canadian Press - Feb 1, 2017 / 10:11 am | Story

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is abandoning his long-held promise to change the way Canadians vote in federal elections.

In a mandate letter for newly appointed Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould, Trudeau makes it clear that electoral reform — once top of mind for the Liberal government — is no longer on the agenda.

"Changing the electoral system will not be in your mandate," the prime minister writes in the letter, released Wednesday.

A variety of consultations across the country have shown that Canadians are not clamouring for a change in the way they choose their federal government, the letter continues. It also rules out the possibility of a national referendum.

"A clear preference for a new electoral system, let alone a consensus, has not emerged," Trudeau writes. "Furthermore, without a clear preference or a clear question, a referendum would not be in Canada's interest."

Trudeau repeatedly promised — both as a campaigning Liberal leader and as prime minister in a speech from the throne — to get rid of the current first-past-the-post voting system in time for the 2019 federal election.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#187609
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Rwede wrote:Well, there goes a billion or two to test the waters.

I guess Trudeau just couldn't sneak in a system that would ensure Liberal victories when Canadians demanded, to Justin's horror, a referendum.

Yes, I knew that was the death knell for any reforms. Justin having to pander to the great unwashed in a referendum just wouldn't be palatable to the Laurentian elite.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

When Justin blurted out that he didn't want a referendum because referendums are bad things, I knew that he had no interest in accepting what the majority of Canada wanted.

Trudeau recalled saying to Renzi, "Referendums are bad things to happen." He added popular votes “give people a chance to lash out at institutions — and they might.”

“Many of the people … who propose that absolutely we need a referendum, well, they know that the fact is that referendums are a pretty good way of not getting any electoral reform,” he said at the time.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

While I generally support the greater openness and transparency of the current government when compared to the previous government that does not mean I blindly support all the actions of the current government. I have recently written the Prime Minister and my MP and other local MP's protesting two thing. Yesterday the letters concerned the possibility of a tax on Health Benefits. Today I wrote about the course change regarding electoral reform.

In Question Period today Prime Minister Trudeau seemed to walk away from taxing Health Care Benefits. I hope that is true. However, he clearly pointed out, in answers to other questions, that Electoral Reform was now off the table. He used the excuse that the on-line survey clearly indicated that Canadains had no desire for electoral reform.

This survey was poorly designed. It was not designed to provide a clear "mandate" for how electoral reform should take place. It was designed as a "sampler" of ideas. While at this point a referendum is not the way to proceed, a Royal Commission on Electoral Reform is the way to proceed. The Commission, in a similar way to the Romanow Health Commission, could evaluate changes to the electoral system and make recommendations.

This is a long term, but very thorough process. It has several advantages. It would remove it as a political hot potatoe. It would be a way for the Government to "fulfill a campaign promise," and it would mean that detailed recommendations could be in place for the next election. At that point a clear election issue or a referendum question could be presented to the electorate.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-electoral-reform-mandate-1.3961736
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Very unfortunate. Not unexpected sadly. My disbelief on this campaign promise is why I voted NDP while many I knew who were green or NDP voted Liberal in this election simply to ensure that their next vote would go unwasted. He's not going to fool them the same way twice.

I doubt he'll be out any time soon, but i doubt the liberals will have the same power after the next election.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Pretty sad when one can make many promises as part of a campaign and then just toss them aside once elected. If an elected official can change their mind on commitments after the fact, voters should be able to change their minds on who they voted for. It doesn't seem there's any accountability or way to hold their feet to the fire.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

This is disappointing absolutely. It was definitely one of the key points I was hoping that the Liberal government would follow through on.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Angry Tom goes after the light-weight JT today...um ah um ah...um ah...um...ah....

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Cyber attacks? What about attacks on truth, Mr Speaker?

I love it! Well done, Angry Tom!
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Angry Tom goes after the light-weight JT today...um ah um ah...um ah...um...ah....

JT is a complete f ing moron who needs to crawl back under his rock and stay there.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Rwede wrote:Cyber attacks? What about attacks on truth, Mr Speaker?

Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Justin Trudeau is the Hillary Clinton of Canada.

The Liberals are like Tim Hortons. A giant corporation that serves you crap while telling you how great they are - and they know you'll keep coming back no matter what. You'll stand in line for 10 minutes for lukewarm fish tasting coffee, the dumb *bleep* Canadian that you are.

Same old same old. Working for the corporations and big business interests while talking that "I feel your pain" liberal jive. They talk the talk but when it comes down to it they are the same party as the Conservatives.

This has got to be the biggest miscalculation Justin Trudeau has made to date. I know many people who were going to vote NDP or Green and held their nose and voted Liberal because of their pledge to get rid of FPTP. I seriously doubt Justin's chances of reelection based on this move.

Not like there is a giant populus movement a' brewin in society as of late. Nothing to fear eh Justin?
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Finally, Trudeau does something that makes sense.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

If you disagree with changing the electoral system, fine.

Justin Trudeau was elected on the promise that things would be changing. That is the issue. He is a lying old school politician with a new haircut. Can't expect much for the working class from a person who as a child ordered adults around.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “Canada”