Troops Serving in Kuwait Lose Tax Break

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Troops Serving in Kuwait Lose Tax Break

Post by Treblehook »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/tro ... -1.3277313

One more perfect example of our "Pretty Boy" Prime Minister and his government turning his back on the men and women who serve this country by putting their lives on the line. So much for his election promises to look after our Military and Veterans. I was willing to give this guy a chance when he was elected, but it seems he spends like it grows on trees everywhere but where it counts. I am sick of it.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Troops Serving in Kuwait Lose Tax Break

Post by hobbyguy »

Read the article:

" Fifteen soldiers at Camp Arfijan, a base in Kuwait, lost the tax break in September, after the military downgraded the risk level. They fought to get it back, arguing that they faced no less danger or hardship than other soldiers stationed in the country.

But instead of restoring the tax break to Camp Arifjan’s soldiers, the military took the exemption away from the more than 300 soldiers stationed in Kuwait who will no longer be eligible as of June 1st, 2017."

http://www.fin.gc.ca/access/tt-it/designated-missions-designees-eng.asp

The military decides which operations are moderate or high risk. The minister of finance then adds or subtracts them from the list.

As far as I can tell, there is no current direct ISIS activity in Kuwait. The "action" is far to the north in Iraq and over into Syria.

At least that is what the search terms I used turned up.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Did you pick up on the suggestion that all other countries similarly deployed are getting tax exemptions from their governments?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The point is simple, if the military scores the posting as moderate or above risk, then the exemption applies.

The military brass apparently do not see the Kuwait posting as high risk. So no exemption.

There has to be some kind of standards applied. I can't judge the Kuwait situation. But hypothetically, if a navy person is posted to Pearl Harbor as a liaison, that would be low risk - so no exemption. Conversely, if someone is posted to Mosul operations, even as a cook, then the risk is high.

Not about to try and second guess the military assessment of risk. They are the ones on the ground in Kuwait. For all we know, the folks dropped from the exemption are quartermaster clerks. We just don't have enough info.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

hobbyguy wrote:The point is simple, if the military scores the posting as moderate or above risk, then the exemption applies.

The military brass apparently do not see the Kuwait posting as high risk. So no exemption.

There has to be some kind of standards applied. I can't judge the Kuwait situation. But hypothetically, if a navy person is posted to Pearl Harbor as a liaison, that would be low risk - so no exemption. Conversely, if someone is posted to Mosul operations, even as a cook, then the risk is high.

Not about to try and second guess the military assessment of risk. They are the ones on the ground in Kuwait. For all we know, the folks dropped from the exemption are quartermaster clerks. We just don't have enough info.

You and I don't agree on almost everything but I do agree with your post here.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Treblehook wrote:http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/troops-serving-in-kuwait-lose-major-tax-exemption-1.3277313

One more perfect example of our "Pretty Boy" Prime Minister and his government turning his back on the men and women who serve this country by putting their lives on the line. So much for his election promises to look after our Military and Veterans. I was willing to give this guy a chance when he was elected, but it seems he spends like it grows on trees everywhere but where it counts. I am sick of it.

did he not reopen va offices closed by harper?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Trudeau's disgusting treatment of our military men and women is already being discussed here
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=71114

Maybe this is how the budget will balance itself.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”