Vince Li, given absolute discharge

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Vince Li, given absolute discharge

Post by Barney Google »

CBC News:
Federal Tory leader concerned about release of Vince Li

Will Baker, formerly known as Vince Li, was found not criminally responsible for killing Tim McLean

"...Rona Ambrose says in a Facebook post that the release of Will Baker — who was formerly Vince Li — doesn't seem right and that Justin Trudeau must put the rights of victims first.

Baker was found not criminally responsible in the killing of Tim McLean in the summer of 2008 due to schizophrenia and has been granted more freedom and privileges every year at hearings by a Criminal Code Review Board.

The board's decision on Friday means he will no longer be subject to any conditions or monitoring to ensure he takes his medication.

Bus Beheading Review 20150223
Vince Li, now known as Will Baker, was found not criminally responsible in the killing of Tim McLean in the summer of 2008 due to schizophrenia. (John Woods/Canadian Press)

Ambrose says in her post that "now Li is a free man" and that he'll "be living not too far away from Tim McLean's mother
."..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3978761

As in most cases of this nature...I feel terrible for the families of the victims.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Walking Wounded wrote:maryjane48 wrote:
you willing to pull trigger yourself ?
Just give me the chance to put one of these useless pieces of *bleep* off the street and I hope there is one of the useless Parole Board people in front. Angry, you damn right.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

I don't support incarceration as punishment. It's for rehabilitation.

Perhaps that's what you don't support, but Google the definition of the word "prison" and you'll find it most certainly IS meant as a means of punishment. Nowhere does any definition mention the word "rehabilitation".

This man has been treated and is no longer a danger to the public. I would sit next to him with no hesitation[/i]]

Yeah but would you sit beside him on a bus? I wouldn't.

I believe this man should still have his medications monitored. As well, should another dreadful incident occur I believe the authorities that allowed him to not have to abide by any rules be accountable.
kques
Fledgling

Post by kques »

JLives wrote:I don't support incarceration as punishment. It's for rehabilitation. This man has been treated and is no longer a danger to the public. I would sit next to him with no hesitation.

Better you than me, I like my head. If he's off his Meds when you sit next to him and he chops your head off don't worry we'll be sure to let the board know they made a mistake by setting him free.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

JLives wrote:I don't support incarceration as punishment. It's for rehabilitation. This man has been treated and is no longer a danger to the public. I would sit next to him with no hesitation.

Knowing it takes more effort to kill someone by cutting their head off, compared to shooting or stabbing them (none of them are any way someone should lose their life by).

Since no one will be enforcing this person to take those very important meds, it's my opinion he is ticking time bomb. Which may or may not go off. Does the risk out weight alternative, time will tell.

If someone does end up being another victim, that blood is on the hands of those who released Vince.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

kques wrote:Better you than me, I like my head. If he's off his Meds when you sit next to him and he chops your head off don't worry we'll be sure to let the board know they made a mistake by setting him free.

I don't understand why people keep saying "if he's off his meds". The article stated that he had untreated schizophrenia, so he wasn't even on medication in the first place. So it isn't like he has a history of being non-medication compliant. They found out he had a mental illness, put him on medication and he obviously has been compliant with his medication for 9 years.

Just because someone has a mental illness doesn't mean they are going to be non-medication complaint.

But with saying that I am not sure what medication he is on, but there are some medications for schizophrenia that require bi-weekly blood work, and some require bi-weekly injection of the medication. While I understand why he was discharged, I would also think it would be important to have mandatory medication check ins with consequences if he failed same.
hail Satan y'all
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I've worked with many who have Schizophrenia, this individual will function at a acceptable level and fit into the culture he lives in well. The sad part is, if he goes off his medication he will be heard of again. We had several that we great, then they would remove themselves from medication and down hill they went.

Hopefully, this individual will realize when he is need of psychiatric attention like the ones I knew realized they were falling. You won't want to sit next to him if he returns to his past mental condition as you too could be the victim of the voice!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I am still stunned to this day why the police didn't just shoot him ???
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Most here are missing the point.

Fact - he was found NOT GUILTY by reason of a mental defect (agree or disagree)

Fact - he had been released with certain conditions (that had ALREADY happened)

Fact - (The new fact) - He has applied for an ABSOLUTE DISCHARGE and received it. Meaning any record accessed about this guy will not indicate he was charged with killing someone. With respect to this charge it WILL NOT show up on any police record system.

My opinion... What is the great pressing need for his criminal record to be hidden from the police ? What good does that serve. Yes, in some eyes he is inocent and should be free to live amoung us, but why go that last step and have his record hidden even from the police ????
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

W105 wrote:I am still stunned to this day why the police didn't just shoot him ???

Why would they shoot him? It's not like they were on scene outside the bus watching some dude get beheaded.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Too many instances those with these medical conditions stop taking their medications for one reason or another and reoffend. That's the scary part.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think it's crazy to let him out without anyone monitoring his meds, however one thing stands out with him that is different from most other murderers or serial killers who also blame mental illness or plead "insanity." Every other one I can recall tried to hide their crime, meaning they still had a sense of right and wrong, and knew what they were doing was wrong. Li never tried to hide his crime, nor did he attempt to escape immediately after the crime giving me the impression in his head he had no idea that what he was doing was wrong at the time. Not defending him and I feel horrible for the family of the victim, but I guess the question would be can someone actually plead "temporary insanity" and justifiably be innocent?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

my5cents wrote:
Fact - (The new fact) - He has applied for an ABSOLUTE DISCHARGE and received it. Meaning any record accessed about this guy will not indicate he was charged with killing someone. With respect to this charge it WILL NOT show up on any police record system.

My opinion... What is the great pressing need for his criminal record to be hidden from the police ? What good does that serve. Yes, in some eyes he is inocent and should be free to live amoung us, but why go that last step and have his record hidden even from the police ????

I agree completely 5cents!!

If there is an incident in the future involving Li the police should have access to his records.

I'm also not happy his name got changed seemingly to blend in without raising community concern.

People who live near him, knowing of his history could alert authorities to changes in his behaviours that might indicate

he was not taking his medications and thereby avoiding future incidences.

He might have been found not guilty but he did in fact, brutally murder someone and he's living in the same

Community as his victims family.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I know FreeRights, like wth ?? he had the time to eat this poor young man's eyes and heart and the police just stood there and watched him ???

and I bet you if one of those passengers tried to take one of the officers weapons to shoot the guy themselves, the police would have shot them in an instant..

complete udder epic fail on the police officers on that horrific day

and btw, who told his doctors that those voices stopped ?? oh yeah, he did...
kques
Fledgling

Post by kques »

my5cents wrote:Most here are missing the point.

Fact - he was found NOT GUILTY by reason of a mental defect (agree or disagree)

Fact - he had been released with certain conditions (that had ALREADY happened)

The point is he has been completely discharged. No one is checking on him anymore. He can choose to take his meds or not. He has been allowed to change his name ( to protect HIS rights ) and has NO criminal record. He can get a job as a Sunday School teacher now or start up his own day care and nobody will be the wiser. It's CANADA people that's how we roll. Human life has little or no value to our judicial system. This monster should be monitored for life not let "completely"off the hook 8 year later but that would mean some burocrat would have to earn their ridiculous salary. If he re-offends and murders someone else "NOBODY" will be held responsible, that just the way it is. Time for our own 2nd amendment and the right to bear arms.!!!

Return to “Canada”