God keep our land

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

God keep our land

Post by TylerM4 »

Saw this letter to the editor yesterday which reminded me about my 6yo and how they sing the anthem at his school.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/18 ... ian-anthem

Long story short - I overheard my son singing the anthem and noticed he sang "Oh keep our land...." Turns out this is how it's sang at his school.

I must admit, I'm on the fence with regard to the "Should we change the words?" debate. I'm atheist, and if we were creating a new anthem I'd say "Keep god the heck out of it". But this isn't a new anthem is it? It's a piece of our history and as far as religious references go, they don't get much tamer. I guess I'm happy to leave well enough alone for now.

However, I do think it's a mistake for schools to change the words. Whether or not you agree with mentioning God in our anthem, that's how the anthem is currently written. I know we are trying to separate religion from the education system and I fully support that - but not at the expense of improper education like teaching the wrong words to the national anthem.

How do others feel?
Omnitheo
Guru

Re: God keep our land

Post by Omnitheo »

There was also that "in all thy Son's command" bit which was religious (though most people didn't understand that bit and thought it means "sons" as in only males) I remember some controversy regarding that and alternate lyrics a while back. Did anything happen with that?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... /o-canada/
It has changed in my lifetime and I sometimes still sing the previous lyrics.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, at least we still have the word "human". I am sure the left will come up with a way to not be human. Even the word mankind is being attacked which is non-sense.
Changing O-Canada gives the feeling of eroding tradition. The song reflects our founders and their values. It is a link to what being Canadian means. So as Idiocracy comes true, in 500 years do the chant lyrics become "oh yeah baby" rather than "o-Canada"?
Imagine there are people who hate the song oh-Canada in its original form. As we push towards all-inclusive language, we leave behind tradition and meaning. Instead of changing the anthem every 100 years, why not put out a new pop tune every week. Yet at the same time of being all-inclusive, a motion is being debated to protect just Muslims.
Last edited by Jlabute on Feb 16th, 2017, 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

People can sing it however they want but i think school employees which basically work for the government should teach and sing the official anthem.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Jlabute wrote:Well, at least we still have the word "human". I am sure the left will come up with a way to not be human.

Interesting statement. What does "The Left" have to do with this? Is separation of church and state a leftist thing? There's no reason for "God" in Canada's anthem. After all most of this nations history has occurred in an era where religion has been declining. We've been a secular nation from the start which built itself through law and human perseverance. Not through theology.

Tell me though, where in Canada's national anthem is the word "human" and why does the left want to remove this?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I've got two sides and I can't decide which side I fully support at this time.

On one hand, the anthem isn't that old - it's changed a few times since becoming the anthem of Canada. We also refuse religious saturation of government, so I wouldn't be against a lack of religious references in our anthem.

On the other hand, it's our anthem and we shouldn't have schools or other institutions making unauthorized changes or adjustments to it. It's our anthem as it is now, and changes to it have a due process, and that due process isn't a principal saying "change God to oh."

And this is coming from an atheist.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I'm an athiest and believe in women's rights.

It should still be "God keep our land" and "In all they son's command." It's part of history. I don't change the words to a song, just because time changes.

Some of the best song lyrics or movie lines are considered offensive or controversial today, but were hilarious, iconic or popular when they came out and I remember them as such. They don't hold any impact like a National Anthem, but the premise fits
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 16th, 2017, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

It won't be long and it will be " Allah keep our land".

Thanks JT.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't wander too far off topic please. Thanks.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

driveangry wrote:It won't be long and it will be " Allah keep our land".

Thanks JT.

The country won't be ours by then anyways.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Rider59 wrote:The country won't be ours by then anyways.

Really? "They're" (one can only assume you refer to Muslims) going to take "our" country?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 17th, 2017, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I'm not opposed to changing the National Anthem to make it more inclusive, but it's not up to individuals to make such changes. That privilege is our Government's, who are the only ones authorized to do so on our collective behalf.

I agree with the earlier comment, that schools and the like should be teaching the words of the official anthem, not words they think the anthem should include.

If my child were being taught the wrong words, I'd be complaining to the local school board.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Canada”