Profits VS Savings

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Profits VS Savings

Post by Even Steven »

Smurf wrote:I have seen business's make a good go of it with happy employees and good customer service. I would actually list Kal Tire and Walmart in that bunch.

I like Kal Tire, they do provide a great service and have happy employees. They also charge A LOT for their service.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Smurf wrote:I admit I shop at Walmart and Superstore but I prefer not to most of the time. I guess I am lucky that I can afford to have a choice.

Costco is a good place. I hear they treat their employees nicely and are also a profitable company (I actually own some of their stock). But you can't ask Loblaws to be like Costco since they're in different businesses and are not comparable.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Smurf wrote:So what you are actually saying is that greed controls how these companies treat their customers and employees. You have to admit that is a sad situation. Wouldn't it be nice if somehow we could get to a place where investors, customers and employees could all be treated fairly.

Yes, it would be nice. And greed does control a lot of how these companies are run, can't really deny that. You should watch the movie "the Big Short" sometime. The ratings agencies were giving out AAA ratings on bonds they knew were complete dirt. But they couldn't give out less than a AAA because they would lose business. Steve Carell's character in the movie says to the rating agency person: "You can afford to make less, so make less". A lot of companies could afford to make less. Walmart could afford to make less too, and pay their employees more. There is no perfect system.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree Kal tire is on the high end but I like their service. I like dealing with happy employees as I feel I get better service which is important to me, especially with things like my vehicles. I also like Costco, especially their pharmacy which is well priced.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
kques
Fledgling

Post by kques »

I read just last week that the major banks are hoping to increase their automation by up to 70% over the next few years causing a reduction in the workforce of up to 30%. Just don't know where all these people will find new jobs. Nothing against bank tellers but I'm sure someone who has been doing that for 10 or 15 years won't be able to just retrain and become a tech expert. I guess the US might be hiring some farm workers (ooops, that's another thread)
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

kques wrote:Just don't know where all these people will find new jobs.

There are always new jobs being created and jobs going the way of the Dodo bird. At some point we had lamp lighters, ice cutters, barbers, milkmen, pin setters at bowling alleys, switchboard operators, etc. They all had jobs, and their jobs disappeared. They all found new jobs. That's called evolution of the marketplace.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Are you saying we shouldn't be miffed about all the jobs we are loosing to China and elsewhere because there will always be new ones.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Smurf wrote:Are you saying we shouldn't be miffed about all the jobs we are loosing to China and elsewhere because there will always be new ones.

We're shipping bank tellers jobs to China?
kques
Fledgling

Post by kques »

Even Steven wrote:
kques wrote:Just don't know where all these people will find new jobs.

There are always new jobs being created and jobs going the way of the Dodo bird. At some point we had lamp lighters, ice cutters, barbers, milkmen, pin setters at bowling alleys, switchboard operators, etc. They all had jobs, and their jobs disappeared. They all found new jobs. That's called evolution of the marketplace.

Lol.. yea there were probably a handful of lamp lighters and 30% of the banking industry is thousands and thousands of people so that's the same. [icon_lol2.gif]
kques
Fledgling

Post by kques »

I hate to be the purveyor of doom and gloom but winter is coming. With personal debt accumulating at record levels and this "extreme" corporate greed putting profits above all else and filling their pockets while sending employees to the unemployment line, something has to give and it will, history shows it will, tic toc..
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

GordonH wrote:Every company that has shareholders, those shareholders want biggest return they can get. So answer your question, profits are never big enough.

Anyone & everyone who invests looking for best return on their investment, is essential wanting companies to have ever bigger profits.

You are correct, funny thing is it's good business to show profit. Sadly, at the hands of 3rd world countries and the sweat shops they run there.

However, chances are the one who started this thread likely doesn't buy only CANADIAN made as you can't anymore due to lack of support and low profit margins.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Even Steven wrote:

We're shipping bank tellers jobs to China?

No but we are loosing jobs there. Is loosing jobs to layoff any different than sending them overseas. It is usually to make more profits and causes the same disruption in peoples lives. The companies will claim it is to stay competitive but is almost always end up with a large increase in profits. No more job is no more job no matter how it happens.

I have to agree it is getting harder and harder to find made in Canada and more expensive but when I see the quality of a lot of the trash that is coming in over the docks it is usually worth the hunt and the cost.

krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

According to the Conference Board of Canada, the telecom sector has been bringing in about $7 billion annually in profit over the past five years. These companies have the money to hire Canadians at a fair wage, but they prefer to add to their profit margin by sending jobs offshore. Telus pays its entry-level workers in the Philippines between $278 and $348 a month, which is less than a fifth of the full-time minimum wage in Ontario. Additionally, employment regulations in these countries are generally weak and the right to collective bargaining flimsy at best.

Just one example..
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I read an interesting article about a year ago. Wish I could find it.

Basically saying that TFSA hasn't worked out as government had intended. The intention was for lower and middle income families to benefit. But statistics show it's mostly being used by higher income and wealthy folks.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Worked for a large Canadian transportation company for 38 years and in its well over 100 plus years of existence it NEVER lost a nickel. I remember many years ago sitting in on one of the companies "raw, raw" lectures from management and hearing how tough it is to run such a company and the expenses incurred to keep it running in a profitable fashion. I absolutely agreed with everything stated until it came to the part about what the company makes at the end of the day. As mentioned earlier, this company MAKES money EVERY year. The example that was given to us was........."in 1993 we had a profit of $875 MILLION, BUT........in 1994 our profit was ONLY $675 MILLION.........we LOST $200 MILLION". The key word here is LOST, even though a huge profit was made, it was less than the year before.

The bottom line here is that if a company does not EXCEED previous years profit, they see it as a loss.........what they want are RECORD PROFITS EVERY YEAR or they are failing to satisfy the share holders. This is PURE GREED........never satisfied with success........"we have to wring out more at any cost".

Return to “Canada”