Walks on Forum Water

Trudeau sells out Canadian healthcare to Chinese

Post by Gone_Fishin »

No pledge to create new Canadian health care jobs in Chinese takeover

STEVEN CHASE
OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017 9:54PM EST
Last updated Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017 10:02PM EST

The Trudeau government came under fire on Wednesday for its decision to allow a Beijing conglomerate with ties to powerful families in China to gain a foothold in Canada’s health-care system despite a murky ownership structure.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau defended letting Anbang Insurance buy a retirement-home chain that is British Columbia’s highest-billing provider of assisted-living and residential-care services, saying it is part of his mandate to “create middle-class jobs, economic growth and long-term prosperity for Canadians.”

But the undertaking Anbang gave the federal government has no specific promises of new Canadian jobs, even though elder care is booming in Canada.

All the Chinese company has agreed to do is “maintain at least the current levels of full-time and part-time employees at facilities” operated by Vancouver-based Retirement Concepts, according to information provided to The Globe and Mail by the federal department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.

It has also promised not to close existing retirement homes and to “ensure a significant ongoing role for Canadians in the business” and to provide financing in the event of expansions.

Interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose led off Question Period on Wednesday by asking Mr. Trudeau how the Canadian government could green-light the Anbang takeover when the company has an opaque ownership structure that has frustrated U.S. regulators and last year was reported to have discouraged Wall Street’s Morgan Stanley from acting as an adviser to the firm.

“Can the Prime Minister please tell us exactly who owns Anbang Insurance,” Ms. Ambrose asked.

Mr. Trudeau ignored that question and defended the approval as good for the Canadian economy.

“We have a policy that allows us to draw in global investments to create jobs and opportunities for Canadians while at the same time ensuring that it is in Canadians’ benefit and the benefit of our country that we move forward in a thoughtful and responsible way. That is exactly what we did in this case.”

Anbang has faced repeated questions in the United States over who actually owns the giant firm and what ties it has to the Chinese state. The New York Times last year reported that 92 per cent of Anbang was held by firms fully or partly owned by relatives of Anbang’s chairman, Wu Xiaohui; or his wife, Zhuo Ran, the granddaughter of former Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping; or Chen Xiaolu, son of a famous People’s Liberation Army general.

On paper, a majority stake in Retirement Concepts – believed to exceed $1-billion in value – is being sold to a Chinese-owned company called Cedar Tree Investment Canada. That is the deal that federal officials in Ottawa announced they had approved this week. However, Cedar Tree is the company that Anbang is using to make the acquisition.

NDP health critic Don Davies called the Anbang deal a “foreign takeover of vital health-care and seniors facilities” in B.C., and asked the Liberals whether the purchase was ever discussed at one of their cash-for-access fundraisers.

Mr. Davies was referring to a Globe and Mail story that reported the host of a cash-for-access fundraiser in November, 2016, at which Mr. Trudeau was the main draw, later said he suggested the Prime Minister allow more Chinese investment in Canadian seniors’ care. There was no indication any specific deal or Chinese company was mentioned during the Vancouver event.

Full: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e34116476/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Trudeau sells out Canadian healthcare to Chinese

Post by GordonH »

Just out of curiosity are these facilities public or private, if they are run by either VCHA or FVA. Then yes that would be huge concern, but if they are private facilities whats the big deal..
Last edited by GordonH on Feb 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

It is sad that people are so worried about what Trump is doing that they ignore what is happening in their own country!
bold

Post by bold »

Trump is the new boogey man haven't you heard, even main stream media says so!

Look on the bright side, Canada is number one for a few things like NAFTA, this has allowed Canada the privilege of being the #1 country in the world for being sued, stand in the way of the corporations and the gov is sued for performance issues :biggrin:

Talking health care, I noticed Liberals have a shiny new carrot... MSP fees to be cut!

Didn't the Trudeau foundation receive some funds (pocket money) recently from Chinese?

Government selling out Canadian health care to Chinese, it is a possibility. Is this part of the red China take over?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

why is it ok to outsource laundry jobs but not this?

why is it ok for companies to privatly run healthcare now in bc for profit but not this?

isnt the idea to lower costs for canadians?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

https://thetyee.ca/News/2007/10/12/BeaconHillVilla/

this is the company that the chinese are taking part ownership of . i wonder if all the lawsuits have anything to do with the sell off?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

maryjane48 wrote:https://thetyee.ca/News/2007/10/12/BeaconHillVilla/

this is the company that the chinese are taking part ownership of . i wonder if all the lawsuits have anything to do with the sell off?

So a privately owned retirement home company, not owned by Island Health Authority. So whats the big deal.
Cottonwoods is the opposite to place that was sold, it is owned and operated by IHA.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Deean wrote:It is sad that people are so worried about what Trump is doing that they ignore what is happening in their own country!

Trump's quite the distraction for the weak minds of the left, that is true.

It's shameful and disgusting that the Chinese gave Trudeau $1 million and he's selling our country to them in return. This retirement home is funded by our tax dollars, and should be held locally so that our money stays here to help Canadian families. Letting the Chinese millionaires who gave Trudeau bribe money launder our tax dollars through this operation and then back to China is horrific.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

how many oil companies are in alberta that are non canadian and who allowed them to set up shop . who made bc new ferries ? why do you care what private compant does ? are you a communist ?
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Harper allowed half the oil sands to be sold the Chinese government Ms Ambrose. Look in the mirror before pointing fingers.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

madmudder wrote:Harper allowed half the oil sands to be sold the Chinese government Ms Ambrose. Look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

madmudder wrote:Harper allowed half the oil sands to be sold the Chinese government Ms Ambrose. Look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

Say it enough times and maybe even you'll believe it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Well, apparently Canada is about to enter into a free trade agreement with China. Why would we do that? China is on a war footing and they refuse to reign in their buddies in Pyongyang. I wouldn't be surprised if they hope North Korea nukes Japan or the west coast of North America, and then they can swoop in and finish the job.

If anything, we should restrict trade until China backs down and gets North Korea in line.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

techrtr wrote:Well, apparently Canada is about to enter into a free trade agreement with China. Why would we do that? China is on a war footing and they refuse to reign in their buddies in Pyongyang. I wouldn't be surprised if they hope North Korea nukes Japan or the west coast of North America, and then they can swoop in and finish the job.

If anything, we should restrict trade until China backs down and gets North Korea in line.

Why would Trudeau do that?

Because they slipped him $1,000,000 to do it.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Canada”