Ottawa teacher sent home after cutting hair of 7-year old

ferri
Forum Administrator

Ottawa teacher sent home after cutting hair of 7-year old

Post by ferri »

Ottawa teacher sent home after cutting hair of 7-year-old boy with autism

An Ottawa teacher has been sent home after he was accused of cutting the hair of a seven-year-old student with autism at school without permission from the boy's mother.

Parent Miriam Brandon said she had been getting regular phone calls from her son Dominic's teacher for weeks.

more here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/te ... 14?cmp=rss
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
techrtr
Übergod

Re: Ottawa teacher sent home after cutting hair of 7-year ol

Post by techrtr »

Hate to say it, but the mom looks like a loser and if the kid's hair is making it difficult for him to learn (and he's already learning disabled), the mother should have done something about it. Instead, she wanted her son to be the cool "hippie" kid even though he probably has a stomach full of hair now. Some people are too stupid to have kids.
Last edited by techrtr on Mar 9th, 2017, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I find that disgusting and maybe the school boards should spend some more time educating their teachers on appropriate behaviour - bullying in the school is not just a kid thing.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

techrtr wrote:Hate to say it, but the mom looks like a loser and if the kid's hair is making it difficult for the already learning disabled kid to learn, the mother should have done something about it. Instead, she wanted her son to be the cool "hippie" kid even though he probably has a stomach full of hair now. Some people are too stupid to have kids.

It's not up to the teacher to cut someone's hair - that's not what they are paid to do.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Well, as the mother said "she'd been receiving calls from the teacher for weeks." She didn't want to do anything about it. Maybe the school should have just sent the kid home and let the mother home school him. Oh wait, she's too busy getting tattoos and smoking crack.

While I don't agree with the teacher cutting the kid's hair, the parent should have done something about it.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

techrtr wrote:Well, as the mother said "she'd been receiving calls from the teacher for weeks." She didn't want to do anything about it. Maybe the school should have just sent the kid home and let the mother home school him. Oh wait, she's too busy getting tattoos and smoking crack.

While I don't agree with the teacher cutting the kid's hair, the parent should have done something about it.

Weird, the article I read didn't say anything about tattoos or smoking crack.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

techrtr wrote:Well, as the mother said "she'd been receiving calls from the teacher for weeks." She didn't want to do anything about it. Maybe the school should have just sent the kid home and let the mother home school him. Oh wait, she's too busy getting tattoos and smoking crack.

She did do something about it - she chose to not cut her son's hair. This is her right as a parent. This teacher was way out of line!

And tattoos and crack??!?? Wow, not sure where you got that...?

:thumbsdown:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

There are really two issues here:

1. Was the boy's hair length an issue in terms of safety and/or the learning environment?

2. Should the teacher have cut the hair without the permission of the parent?

It's hard to know the answer to "1" without being there but it's easy to answer "2." That answer is no. A teacher can't cut a student's hair without permission of the parent.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

techrtr wrote:Well, as the mother said "she'd been receiving calls from the teacher for weeks." She didn't want to do anything about it. Maybe the school should have just sent the kid home and let the mother home school him......
The parent didn't need to do anything about it - her kid, hers and his choice. Lots of kids have shoulder length hair and have had for as long as I can remember. The school has no right to send a child home because of the length of their hair - ludicrous. Some teachers just don't have a clue as to how to deal with a situation until they've gone too far. What happened to keeping one's hands to themselves or does that only apply to the kids?
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I would be curious to know how the teacher would have handled it had it been a female student...surely there are lots of girls with long hair in that class.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I'm truly amazed at what some teachers think they can do.

Throwing students food away because THEY deem it as unhealthy...now cutting kids hair?

Really, now?

Maybe a few teachers need to have a few parents monitor their diets and hair styles.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What a few teachers have done to kids is appalling from duct taping kids heads to desk to throwing objects at them (never mind the obvious). How any of that is "educating" the children is beyond me.

Return to “Canada”