Rightwing sen defends residential schools

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Rightwing sen defends residential schools

Post by maryjane48 »

http://glbn.ca/RIyH2E

just when you think the rightwing might be making progress . boom . we get this :smt045
techrtr
Übergod

Re: Rightwing sen defends residential schools

Post by techrtr »

She's going to get crucified for what she's saying but she's not necessarily wrong. The people who created the Residential Schools weren't evil - I'm sure their intentions were good. A lot of those kids were probably removed from horrendous poverty and abuse. They were given a good education that they would never have otherwise received. It's probably not a stretch to say that the Residential School program saved a lot of lives. Now, the people who actually liked being in Residential School will probably never admit it because they'd be ostracized if they did.

Let's face it, a lot of the rich kids shipped off to boarding schools in England over the years probably didn't much like it either.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

techrtr wrote:She's going to get crucified for what she's saying but she's not necessarily wrong. The people who created the Residential Schools weren't evil - I'm sure their intentions were good. A lot of those kids were probably removed from horrendous poverty and abuse. They were given a good education that they would never have otherwise received. It's probably not a stretch to say that the Residential School program saved a lot of lives. Now, the people who actually liked being in Residential School will probably never admit it because they'd be ostracized if they did.

Let's face it, a lot of the rich kids shipped off to boarding schools in England over the years probably didn't much like it either.

well first there was zero good to come of residential schools and you have what proof that first nations abused their kids before the europeans showed up ?

a practice at these what you call good schools was if a native kids became sick was to not put much effort into keeping the kid alive and when the kid diesd just bury them out back like someones pet mouse had died .

when the churches first started doing this they thought they would convert that savages to christianity, thats it .
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Though there are likely some positives that did happen through the residential school program, and the intentions were good, the application was just terrible, and in hind sight though you may want to note some positives it would just be best to not try as it is akin to asking "what about all the GOOD things Hitler did".....ya still rather overshadowed by the rest of it, and should not be attempted.

Ya, she's going to get roasted for sure.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

maryjane48 wrote:
techrtr wrote:She's going to get crucified for what she's saying but she's not necessarily wrong. The people who created the Residential Schools weren't evil - I'm sure their intentions were good. A lot of those kids were probably removed from horrendous poverty and abuse. They were given a good education that they would never have otherwise received. It's probably not a stretch to say that the Residential School program saved a lot of lives. Now, the people who actually liked being in Residential School will probably never admit it because they'd be ostracized if they did.

well first there was zero good to come of residential schools and you have what proof that first nations abused their kids before the europeans showed up ?

a practice at these what you call good schools was if a native kids became sick was to not put much effort into keeping the kid alive and when the kid diesd just bury them out back like someones pet mouse had died .

when the churches first started doing this they thought they would convert that savages to christianity, thats it .

You're making some very sweeping generalizations that you can't support. How can you possibly say that zero good came out of Residential Schools? Have you interviewed every person who spent time there? Were you there?

And where did the "you have what proof that first nations abused their kids before the europeans showed up" come from? I didn't bring that up. However, since you did bring it up, there probably were instances of child abuse before the arrival of Europeans. Even in prehistoric times there were probably sociopaths and people with psychological problems who were abusive. They were people after all, and people are capable of incredible goodness and also incredible evil. North America was no perfect utopia before the arrival of Europeans. There was slavery, warfare, famine, and pestilence. We like to gloss things over to make it look like nothing that the Europeans brought was good but that simply isn't true.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea i did go to one as a non native in prince george as the catholic run school was a residential school in college heights . the principal was a type of guy who would tell the natives if they misbehaved that they had a evil snake inside of them that needed to be ripped out of them . as one example.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/John+Fu ... story.html
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:yea i did go to one as a non native in prince george as the catholic run school was a residential school in college heights . the principal was a type of guy who would tell the natives if they misbehaved that they had a evil snake inside of them that needed to be ripped out of them . as one example.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/John+Fu ... story.html

DID you hear him say it , or is this another one of you stretched truths. :smt045
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I agree with most of this, although I'd change "a lot" to "some". And I look back on my own childhood, living in poverty (by our first-world standards), and know for sure I'd rather be raised by my parents, so there is that. In my experience, children don't really see poverty the way teens and adults do.

Interestingly, some parents saw the residential schools as a good opportunity for their children (much as parents do now when they send their children to boarding schools and summer camps.) What happened at some of the schools was absolutely inexcusable, but there's no rational reason to believe every residential school was evil. I think the Hitler analogy fails there. I'm sure not all residential schools shared the same philosophy, just as Hitler's philosophy was not applied in every country in Europe while he was in power.

A couple of decades back, someone pointed out the differences between conditions on various First Nations reserves where different religions were the primary missionaries. The same seems to hold true for the different residential schools. While some religions did, horrifyingly, try to beat their own beliefs into the children, others were far more adaptive and integrating. How many? It would be interesting to know.

What a shame we can't talk about any of this without being labeled "racist", and without having people misconstrue our acknowledgement of the good work done by genuinely caring people to mean we're in any way excusing the horrors done by others.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

rustled wrote:

I agree with most of this, although I'd change "a lot" to "some". And I look back on my own childhood, living in poverty (by our first-world standards), and know for sure I'd rather be raised by my parents, so there is that. In my experience, children don't really see poverty the way teens and adults do.

Interestingly, some parents saw the residential schools as a good opportunity for their children (much as parents do now when they send their children to boarding schools and summer camps.) What happened at some of the schools was absolutely inexcusable, but there's no rational reason to believe every residential school was evil. I think the Hitler analogy fails there. I'm sure not all residential schools shared the same philosophy, just as Hitler's philosophy was not applied in every country in Europe while he was in power.

A couple of decades back, someone pointed out the differences between conditions on various First Nations reserves where different religions were the primary missionaries. The same seems to hold true for the different residential schools. While some religions did, horrifyingly, try to beat their own beliefs into the children, others were far more adaptive and integrating. How many? It would be interesting to know.

What a shame we can't talk about any of this without being labeled "racist", and without having people misconstrue our acknowledgement of the good work done by genuinely caring people to mean we're in any way excusing the horrors done by others.

Excellent comment.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I was a child prisoner at a school very much similar to the native residential schools . We were beaten and treated as garbage . It was in the name of the company of the cross . Had ties to the diocese in Edmonton. Anyways . Having lived thru the hell that was that place
Also knowing the native schools were likely worse in most cases and by most standards. I challenge anyone to point to any good that could have come from these schools . The ppl who were running the school I went to . Founded the wild rose party . These cult like groups have political power . Before my day it was talked of in open how the school mission was to raise a western canadian wasp leader to save canada from the evil liberals.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jflem1983 wrote:I was a child prisoner at a school very much similar to the native residential schools . We were beaten and treated as garbage . It was in the name of the company of the cross . Had ties to the diocese in Edmonton. Anyways . Having lived thru the hell that was that place
Also knowing the native schools were likely worse in most cases and by most standards. I challenge anyone to point to any good that could have come from these schools . The ppl who were running the school I went to . Founded the wild rose party . These cult like groups have political power . Before my day it was talked of in open how the school mission was to raise a western canadian wasp leader to save canada from the evil liberals.

I'm sorry for your pain. I can see why your experience would outweigh the good of any children having gotten an education and the language skills geared to helping them succeed in an increasingly westernized culture.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ya we learned how to survive in an increasingly hostile world . That isn't the point . The little good is outweighed by the bad in these cases . Native kids go to regular school now and do just fine at it
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

if there was so much good why the winning lawsuit against govt of canada and churches ? and have any of you residential school lovers ever actualy read the lawsuit ? i didnt think so
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yes alfred i did hear it because the psyco tried it on me
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

maryjane48 wrote:if there was so much good why the winning lawsuit against govt of canada and churches ? and have any of you residential school lovers ever actualy read the lawsuit ? i didnt think so

It's entirely possible for rational people to see that not all residential schools were the same, that they weren't all staffed by cruel and uncaring people. It's beyond bizarre that for some, this equates to being a "residential school lover", but I suppose that's the world many people actually live in: you have to either love or hate, there's no middle ground, no room for seeing the good where you've chosen to see only bad. This sounds to me like an affliction shared by the worst of the people running the residential schools. Just sayin'.

Return to “Canada”