My generation

Jflem1983
Guru

My generation

Post by Jflem1983 »

So an old saying . Said to me many times. Everyone under 35 is pretty well useless. I'm 33 . I agree people my age today . Seem to be struggling compared to a generation ago. What do u all think of the under 35 theory
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: My generation

Post by Fancy »

I know too many that are doing quite well for themselves, work hard, and own their own homes so that theory doesn't work for me.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Every generation has there fair share of useless people.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

how old is Trudeau again?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Older generations often see the younger generation in a negative light. That was just as true when I was young as it is today. I think it probably has something to do with people being nostalgic for the past, rather than being a reflection of the present.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Merry wrote:Older generations often see the younger generation in a negative light. That was just as true when I was young as it is today. I think it probably has something to do with people being nostalgic for the past, rather than being a reflection of the present.

Absolutely. People tend to think of themselves very positively in the past, but if you compare younger self to current young people it's not that different.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.

~ Horace, circa. 20 BC.
Your bias suits you.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Sounds like this has been going on for a while lol
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

http://washingtonfeed.com/watch-what-ob ... tamps.html

Scroll down - It is a gal with colored hair titled "Ill never have a job."

Watch this video, cation in the last 30 seconds language may be offensive to some.

But in saying this I don't think we can group all or paint them all with the same brush. However, there seems to be a attitude that someone has instilled that these younger persons are entitled and shouldn't have to work.

The next 10 -15 years may be interesting when the parents of these people retire.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

What's wrong with coloured hair? Who doesn't have coloured hair these days? Nearly every woman out there has coloured hair. Heck even mine is to hide the greys.

Don't think it has much to do with jobs these days. Depends what you're doing though I guess.

And the generation thing is and always has been BS. There are people my age from all different perspectives and ideologies. To say I have anything in common with them other than age is a preposterous. Think back to your school days. Were there not cliques? jocks? Nerds? The swim team?

People are not all clones of each other, and even people growing up under similar circumstances are still their own individuals with their own beliefs.

Only those who are trying to demonize others paints everyone with such broad strokes.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Omnitheo wrote:What's wrong with coloured hair? Who doesn't have coloured hair these days? Nearly every woman out there has coloured hair. Heck even mine is to hide the greys.

Don't think it has much to do with jobs these days. Depends what you're doing though I guess.

Nothing and no one said there was anything wrong with coloured hair. I couldn't watch the whole thing and I certainly wouldn't hire that person based on obviously not wanting to work and not caring period.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Social media that's basically available to all makes things seem worse now.20+ yrs ago you could see these losers but rarely need to hear them.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Youtube also gives young people an additional outlet for philosophizing.

My generation used to do plenty of that, too.

Now, regarding the article-with-video Ken 7 posted here earlier.

http://washingtonfeed.com/watch-what-ob ... tamps.html

The girl in the video has a Youtube channel she calls “Moni Riot.”

And it looks like she might be a bit of a handful to parent.

But I think her self-examination is both brutal and honest for a young person today.

(Setting aside her outburst containing the offensive language near the end.)

In the main, I see where she discusses her generation’s challenges towards participating in our modern consumerist society at both ends.

She seems to desire neither to ‘work at a job for money’ nor to remain ‘addicted to buying stuff’ with any ‘free money’, should she receive it as an income.

As for her conservative critic in The Washington Feed article:

Conservative-capitalist Milton Friedman, in his 1962 book Capitalism and Freedom, first promoted the concept of a guaranteed basic income. He saw it as a means towards getting people out of the welfare trap by allowing them to participate in consumerism without having a job as well as to up, or subsidise their participation through choosing to work for 'extra'spending money.

And Moni’s philosophy seems to align with Friedman’s philosophy just as some of us 'non Marxists' wanted to align ours with it in our day.

A few of the other points she touchers on:

Fear in society.

Education.

Parenthood.

Her concept of a housewife.
. . .

So I think her video is certainly worthy of a thoughtful look considering this thread’s topic.

Return to “Canada”