Koran ripped up at Ontario School Board meeting

logicalview
Guru

Koran ripped up at Ontario School Board meeting

Post by logicalview »

Anti-Islam protesters ripped a Qur'an and walked over its torn pages during an Ontario school board meeting Wednesday evening, as they demanded that Muslim students be banned from praying at school.

At the meeting — held by Peel District School Board in Mississauga, Ont. — a group of enraged parents pressed the board to end religious accommodation. They presented a petition signed by 600 people that wants to stop students from gathering at school for about 15 minutes each Friday for Jummah prayers.

The meeting derailed when the school board, which must provide accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code, said they would not address the issue at this meeting.

A spokesman from the school board, Brian Woodland, told The Globe and Mail about 80 people attended the meeting and shouted some "fairly horrific" Islamophobic comments.

“I was actually deeply shaken by what I heard. I’m not sure I’ve ever in my life seen this level of hatred," he said.

In a Twitter video posted by a Vice News reporter Tamara Khandaker, protesters can be heard yelling across the room.

"Islam will kill you," a man shouts at one point.

Police eventually intervened, and the trustees proceeded with a closed-door meeting.

The Ontario government, which unanimously passed an anti-Islamophobia motion last month, spoke out against the hate speech Thursday.

"Ontario schools are places that must be beacons of equity and inclusivity. All students must feel that they belong in school and that they feel safe when they are there," Education Minister Mitzie Hunter said, according to CBC News.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/23 ... 68254.html
Not afraid to say "It".
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Koran ripped up at Ontario School Board meeting

Post by whatwhat »

Here is another part of the original article that I think would be helpful:

Clearing misconceptions

The Peel District School Board issued a fact sheet just hours before Wednesday's meeting in an effort to clear misconceptions about the weekly Jummah prayers. It highlighted that accommodations — for all religions — have been made for decades without issue.

It also clarified that religious accommodation does not equal promotion of religion.

"The Supreme Court of Canada has said that a secular state respects and accommodates religious differences, instead of trying to extinguish them," the fact sheet read.

Jummah prayers are usually conducted during lunch hours and do not disrupt classes, or cost the school money, the release added.
hail Satan y'all
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

everyone them idiots should be thrown in jail or deported to maro lago
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

These protesters are no better than the Muslim zealots they are complaining about.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As a kid 3 things all of a sudden stop happening:
1) morning prayer
2) singing God save the Queen
3) principal being able to use a strap, as punishment.

prayer can still be done as long as its not during class
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH wrote:As a kid 3 things all of a sudden stop happening:
1) morning prayer
2) singing God save the Queen
3) principal being able to use a strap, as punishment.

prayer can still be done as long as its not during class

i agree . if a kid sat in class and saod the rosary or a verse from exodus would this have happened to ? ihave always said people can have any faith they choose but keep it personal
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 2nd, 2017, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Deean
Fledgling

Post by Deean »

Product of M103?
Ccrider

Post by Ccrider »

These people have acted out against something that they feel is threatening their way of life, and they obviously feel very strongly about it. The news article states that 600 people signed the petition. Instead of labelling them all as racists, and turning a blind ear towards them, maybe someone should acknowledge that there may be more of a problem here than simple racism.

Why are people using the word "islamaphobia" as a derogatory term? The people that are protesting in Ontario are indeed suffering from islamaphobia, and for good reason. They have their eyes and ears open, and they are experiencing what it feels like to see your way of life slowly slipping away to a different culture, and religion. A backwards step to a society where women are treated like dogs, and non believers of Islam are labeled infidels and treated as non humans.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Ccrider wrote:These people have acted out against something that they feel is threatening their way of life, and they obviously feel very strongly about it. The news article states that 600 people signed the petition. Instead of labelling them all as racists, and turning a blind ear towards them, maybe someone should acknowledge that there may be more of a problem here than simple racism.

Why are people using the word "islamaphobia" as a derogatory term? The people that are protesting in Ontario are indeed suffering from islamaphobia, and for good reason. They have their eyes and ears open, and they are experiencing what it feels like to see your way of life slowly slipping away to a different culture, and religion. A backwards step to a society where women are treated like dogs, and non believers of Islam are labeled infidels and treated as non humans.

For one, I completely support banning all religious support and prayers in public schools.

However, I disagree with your point. I've lived and currently live among other people living their lives culturally far differently than I live mine, and it's never once impacted my way of life.

Muslims praying is not going to impact their way of life. Their opposition doesn't seem to be about how they choose to live their life, but rather how others choose to live theirs.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Ban all religion in all schools, in this country. There is no need for any religion in our schools, as this is a personal ideal.

The only place religion belongs is in the home. Your religion, your preference. It's a pretty simple concept.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:Ban all religion in all schools, in this country. There is no need for any religion in our schools, as this is a personal ideal.

The only place religion belongs is in the home. Your religion, your preference. It's a pretty simple concept.

Easy to say, harder to implement unless you want teachers to patrol school areas before/after school & during class breaks i.e lunchtime

Plus many of private schools have their roots in religion.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Here’s the link to the “RELIGIOUS ACCOMMODATION: KEY FACTS: Peel District School Board.”

(The italic caps don’t mean I’m yelling at you :D ).

With acknowledgment to whatwhat’s post, I’ve selected a few excerpts that seem to apply to some of the comments I’ve seen her so far. Others might find interest in the rest of the material.

http://www.peelschools.org/aboutus/equi ... 0Facts.pdf

<snip>

However, there was no ‘decision’ for trustees on Friday Prayer—religious accommodation is a legal requirement, and the Religious Accommodation Operating Procedure is administrative, not a board policy.

<snip>

Religious accommodation is for all faiths. Faith is personal, and the honouring of faith is different by faith, and by person. The board is required to accommodate based on personal faith practice, not in comparison with other faiths.

<snip>

The promotion of a faith is not the role of public schools, but religious accommodation is. According to the OHRC, “The duty to accommodate also is not negated simply because a person or organization thinks a belief or practice is unreasonable or objectionable, or because an organization operates in the secular public sphere. The Supreme Court of Canada has said that a secular state respects and accommodates religious differences, instead of trying to extinguish them.”

<snip>

By providing accommodation at the school, time away from the classroom is reduced and students have more time for in-class learning, which supports success.

<snip>

The Lord’s Prayer was previously practised by all students, including those who did not practise that faith. Friday Prayer, on the other hand, is not a board-mandated practice for all students and only impacts students who have individually requested that particular religious accommodation.

<snip>

Might as well have access to the same material that the people who attended the meeting had.

(Sorry, I forgot to add my opinion) It all makes sense to me.
Last edited by f/22 on Apr 4th, 2017, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Here’s the petition to go to the Director of the Peel District School Board.

However, by collecting 7,500 signatures, it looks like the group hopes to begin to influence all of Canada.

Immediate discontinuation of religious congregation and faith clubs in PDSB public schools
Religion Out Of Public Schools (ROOPS)

https://www.change.org/p/pdsb-director- ... ic-schools

<snip>

Mission of the Group:

Strive to keep religion, religious practices and influence of any faith group out of tax-payer funded public schooling system in Canada.

Vision of the Group:

Help our children attain high-quality education in public schools while eliminating the role and influence of religion and various faiths from our school system by working diligently with school boards, community members and various government departments in a democratic and civilized manner.

<snip>
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Here's a link to the 'Reasons for Signing' page.

https://www.change.org/p/pdsb-director- ... ition_show

Looks like the person from West Kelowna may not have been privy to the 'Key Facts.'

I'm signing because it is not right that only one religion is permitted to be practiced in public schools. Either allow ALL religions in the public schools or take ALL religions out of schools. This pandering and politically correct bs to one religion needs to stop. If these people need to prsy five times a day that bad, then maybe they should have their own private schools and practice their religion there where it would be accepted.

Same with the person from St. Albert, Alberta.

If there is no room for any other religion there is no room for Islam. Why should anyone have special treatment? Teach your kids the faith you wish them to learn on your own time and your own dime.

Return to “Canada”