How Europeans treated First Nations

Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: How Europeans treated First Nations

Post by Leifer »

The sooner we "whities" accept that evererything is our fault and that Natives can't, in any way, be held responsible for their current situation....the sooner we can get on with life.
Truth and reconciliation *bleep*! We just need to hang our heads and "pay up suckas". :130:

To say anything else, will get you branded as a racist and vilified in our current progressive liberal society.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:FACT : The OP's post is what happened in California into Oregon and part of Wash.. But you knew that ,,, right ???

You can't get over the fact that not all FN are treaty, not all treaties are the same, the treaties were done so long ago before the white education was introduced to them, and just because you think you seen something somewhere that it's like that on every reserve or that all FN behave that way.

I think you miss read what I wrote. I do feel TREATY rights belong to all involved, not a select group of individuals that is my point. Do First Nations deserve to have those treaties respect, yes. IF I make a deal with you, I honor it.

In saying this most of what I'm seeing with the intent of this post is poor me. It would possibly get more respect if it was directed at Government and that too goes to their very own Government as I stated earlier and you know that too. IF you care not to admit it, oh well. I know it and so do most all who wish to accept reality.

Not sure which reserve you are from however, I have friends from West Kelowna, and not all there are being treated the same. There is in any Government unfairness. I would truly like to know where you are and do some research..maybe you are being fooled too.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

maryjane48 wrote:When do we get to talk about this, and get compensated for the murder and theft?
90% of N Americans do not even know that paid hunters used these tags as means of collecting bounty for killing human beings, for profit.
The fact remains that a government organized system of professional killers, was used to clear land.
Ethnic cleansing was used. Many of those displacements are known as trail of tears, kinda like the Bataan death march in WWII.
Natives were rounded up, herded like cattle, and moved off their land.
The active hunting and killing was common in many states.
In the late 1800's California did this professional paid killing on a grand scale, to clear the great Central Valley of Indians for farming. In Owens valley the natives were herded into Owens lake near Olancha and shot like ducks.
This murder for profit is not discussed, and its scope is not understood, because history of this is not discussed, acknowledged, or known by many.
This is true history.

Actually, I would hesitate to call it "true history." Yes, there could be a element of truth, but you're make sweeping generalizations without hard evidence to support them. Your title is "How Europeans Treated First Nations." You should change that to "How some Europeans Treated Some First Nations." You can't summarize hundreds of years of interaction with an inflammatory, one or two paragraph comment on a forum - the history is far more complicated and dynamic than that.

Fact is, First Nations people in Canada were not treated like they were in the US. You're referring to a situation in California that has nothing to do with Canada so don't turn it into a blanket condemnation of every European in North America who had some contact with a First Nations person.
Ccrider

Post by Ccrider »

Yes there are a lot of history books that speak of the atrocities that occurred during this time period. Despicable atrocities that were committed over and over again by "all" sides in the conflict. History can teach us a lot, but when we live in the past, it is hard to free ourselves of the conflict. The blame game never ceases, as is evident in this thread.

I keep hearing the phrase "we are all immigrants". This statement could not be farther from the truth. I am "not" an immigrant! Please stop telling me that I am an immigrant. I was born here, just like 80% of the rest of us.

As for the aboriginal people of Canada, they are not immigrants either. The difference between myself, and a person with aboriginal ancestry, is that they hold a privileged position in our society as "First Nations", whereas I am just a "Canadian". Totally unjust!
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Rider59 wrote:Do you know how FN tribes treated other FN tribes before the white man arrived? They had it good compared how they would be treated if one tribe conquered another tribe. Absolute butchery, slavery and rape.

Oh wait, we can't talk about that.

This is a very good, real point that is kept quiet, ignored and never acknowledged.
Yes, there is a horrible history documented on exactly what this posters states. Tribes wiped out other tribes for land, food, profit.
It would be nice if all people could accept their past faults, usually not our generation but many before us, and then we can all move on. Unfortunately there is never enough money or apologies that will be enough once those offerings start. No satisfaction will ever be reached.
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

The reality is, before the arrival of Europeans, North America was not a utopia where there was no starvation, disease, or warfare. People are people and there was greed, violence, and barbarism - even before the arrival of Europeans.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Leifer wrote:The sooner we "whities" accept that evererything is our fault and that Natives can't, in any way, be held responsible for their current situation....the sooner we can get on with life.
Truth and reconciliation *bleep*! We just need to hang our heads and "pay up suckas". :130:

To say anything else, will get you branded as a racist and vilified in our current progressive liberal society.

Exactly. First of all unfortunately everyone is racist. Indirect or direct....

Second like Leifer said...everyone has to accept responsibility....Fine...sorry....can that change what happened to people 130 years ago...nope....but we can move on.

Also another step of all this nonsense is the FN accepting assimilation. Yes they can have the background and culture like I do with my background, but i also accept Canada as my home with everyone else. Segregating yourselves into reserves and removing yourself from everyone else does not help.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Canada”