The PC Police are shutting down tenured professors now

Glacier
The Pilgrim

The PC Police are shutting down tenured professors now

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The PC Police are shutting down tenured professors now

Post by Merry »

The politically correct movement has a lot in common with those who burned books in Nazi Germany. Both groups tried to silence all who disagree with them.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Still reviewing materials on this subject this morning, but here’s where the rubber met the road for the U of T in its original source:

“Some students have reported being the target of violent threats, including threats of assault, injury and death against them individually and as members of the trans community.”

https://www.scribd.com/document/3286644 ... -18Oct2016
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Still reviewing, but most interesting to me so far, along with the opportunity to help fund Dr. Peterson's research, was his mention that he may give his supporters an opportunity to take part in his project(s), (Ezra Levant: Let’s Support Prof. Jordan Peterson’s Research).

[icon_lol2.gif] Now looking back at what I've just written, I wonder if Jordan Peterson prefers Doctor or Professor when students correspond to him--one of the first rules of (PC) etiquette that university students are usually required to learn--dither-dither.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Sorry, it looks like a lot of people may be trying to catch up by also reviewing the material Glacier posted.

And I'm still reviewing Glacier's material (and other), but so far from the third video he-she-zie-zhe posted, one of Jordan’s areas of study, ‘The Psychology of Political Ideology,’ may directly interest some of the people who post here. So maybe they would like to get involved with some of his research (as above) should the opportunity arise.

For instance, here’s a link to his paper:

Ideological Reactivity: Political Conservatism and Brain Responsivity to Emotional and Neutral Stimuli

http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... al_Stimuli
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Done!

From Glacier’s third video.

John Carpay delivers a nice lecture. Including this list of does:

<snip>

1—What to do about the situation?

Exercise your free expression rights . . ..

Do not be intimidated by the name calling . . ..

If you self-censor you are giving ground to the enemies of freedom . . ..

Make a commitment that it’s better to die standing than it is to live on your knees . . ..

2—Come to the aid of others whose freedoms are threatened.

Makes a huge difference: especially if it’s someone you disagree with . . ..

3—Sign our petition . . ..

4—Support the groups that are defending the free society.

5—When you, yourself are in a situation where your fundamental freedoms are being violated: whether it’s your freedom of expression, your freedom of conscience of religion, or freedom of association, stand your ground. Do not be intimidated . ..

<snip>

But if you really want to rock, get into Peterson’s lecture.

Here’s a sample:

<snip>

Post-modernism doesn’t have a shred of gratitude, and there’s something wrong with a person who doesn’t have any gratitude, especially when they live in what so far is the best of all possible worlds. And so if you’re not grateful, your driven by resentment . . .. Resentment, arrogance, and deceit, there’s an evil triad for you. And if you’re bitter about everything that’s around you despite that fact that you’re bathed in wealth then there’s something absolutely wrong with you . . ..

<snip>

Thanks for posting your material Glacier.

As Gad Saad says, “ . . . weigh in . . ..”

So, over to you, the initiator. Or to anybody else.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Sorry, Merry, I do get carried away.

People post such interesting stuff here . . ..
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Merry wrote:The politically correct movement has a lot in common with those who burned books in Nazi Germany. Both groups tried to silence all who disagree with them.

wrong . trying to compare nazis to people against discrimination bigotry and racism highlights to things .

first you have no clue what the nazi stood for or what they tried to accomish and lastly i think its clear you with you could call people names based on color faith or sexual identity :smt045
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I also am against discrimination, racism and bigotry maryjane. But disagreeing with the "politically correct" movement does not make me, or anyone else, bigots or racists.

I have friends who are gay, have socialized with friends of theirs who are trans gender, and don't have any problem with folks who have sexual preferences different to my own. BUT, while I defend their right to be called whichever sex they personally identify with, I think coming up with a politically correct third pronoun is ridiculous. Because there are only two biological human sexes, not three. Consequently I would not be comfortable using the term invented by the politically correct crowd. And I am entitled to that opinion, just as you are entitled not to share it. Trying to silence those we disagree with IS reminiscent of tactics used by totalitarian regimes, and has no place in a democratic society.

This Professor disagreeing with a certain form of political correctness is NOT a sign that he is some sort of a bigot; just as it is not a sign that I am a bigot. Freedom of speech and thought is sometimes a messy thing, but it needs to be preserved and guarded from those who would try to take it away from us.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

maryjane48 wrote:wrong . trying to compare nazis to people against discrimination bigotry and racism highlights to things .

first you have no clue what the nazi stood for or what they tried to accomish and lastly i think its clear you with you could call people names based on color faith or sexual identity :smt045

Clue.
Merry wrote: . . . Both groups tried to silence all who disagree with them.

And please provide evidence to show how the rest would be clear?

It seems to me Merry aligns pretty good with Peterson's video in Conrad Black's article that Glacier posted as part of the OP.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... hate-crime
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Thanks for the 'like' Merry and now Smurf.

:eyeroll: Ha, ha, ha, here I am again.

This is a blessed excerpt from the last video Glacier posted.

It’s about seven minutes long. But I think it’s a fantastic message for people to consider.

In short, interacting here on any level should be treated an opportunity to learn and improve ourselves and one another.

On reviewing this video before I posted it, it sure changed my attitude.

For instance, Glacier can post a sting of stuff as an OP here and maybe never comment on it, because it turns out that it actually is a personal statement / comment that others can learn from if they wish.
Last edited by f/22 on Apr 9th, 2017, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Merry wrote:The politically correct movement has a lot in common with those who burned books in Nazi Germany. Both groups tried to silence all who disagree with them.

Sorry Merry, thats not right or true imo. The only people that burn books are those that aren't interested in truth, literature, education; the beauty of the written word.

The only thing that separates *bleep* sapien (I actually have to add that word into my phones dictionary; telling) from the animal kingdom is the difference between a grunt and works of man. Which I'll remind is the fact we're here debating and not grunting with a stick.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

You tube videos? Are they? Another means for someone to have a voice? I'm guilty,I post here for multitudes to read, but for crying out loud, which video should I submit to bolster my agenda?

And to be honest and to the point. If I can't persuade a person to indulge and pique an interest inside a few minutes.... wind bag.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i look at it this way . the pc movment hasnt stopped me from voicing a opinion or how i deal with people i might not understand or agree with . and if it made me think before talking or writing something then i feel im the better for it .

so i will ask a simple question. what does the pc movment prevent you from doing or saying ?
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

What_the wrote:
The only thing that separates *bleep* sapien (I actually have to add that word into my phones dictionary; telling) from the animal kingdom is the difference between a grunt and works of man. Which I'll remind is the fact we're here debating and not grunting with a stick.

What_the wrote:
And to be honest and to the point. If I can't persuade a person to indulge and pique an interest inside a few minutes.... wind bag.

So does that mean you think grunts and sticks are better than 'the works of man' (for instance Aristotle's modes of persuasiion --ethos, pathos, and logos) to use in terms of persuasive debate?

Last edited by f/22 on Apr 8th, 2017, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”