Canadian Human Smuggler or Family Humanitarian

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Canadian Human Smuggler or Family Humanitarian

Post by Barney Google »

Thought I'd give this it's own special thread.

Maybe this is worth discussing on it's own...

CBC:
Identity of asylum seekers key to trying Michelle Omoruyi as human smuggler: lawyer

"...Legal definition of human smuggling doesn't apply to helping family members, says defence attorney

Prosecutors will have to prove that Michelle Omoruyi, the Regina woman recently charged with human smuggling, was not providing humanitarian-type aid to asylum seekers or trying to help members of her family, says a Vancouver lawyer.

Omoruyi was charged last week with one count of human smuggling under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and one count of conspiracy to commit human smuggling....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon ... -1.4081205

CBC:
Regina woman charged with human smuggling after 9 asylum seekers intercepted at border
"...Michelle Omoruyi, 43, arrested after 4-month police investigation..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4075498
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Canadian Human Smuggler or Family Humanitarian

Post by Barney Google »

I stated this on another thread...

It wont surprise me if part of the defense will be that the defendant was just doing what Canada's PM has suggested...

"Welcoming refugees and asylum seekers to Canada".

There's that pesky tidbit of information though that suggested there was a considerable amount of cash in a

residence associated with the defendant.

As well, prior to it being taken down, on the alleged smuggler/humanitarian's FB page there were photos of her

along with children (possibly her own) taken in what looked to be some place in Africa.

In one report, the refugees/asylum seekers/smuggled humans were detained but were then released.

So where were they released to?

What's happening with them?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canadian Human Smuggler or Family Humanitarian

Post by maryjane48 »

smuggler . only a american would i consider a refugee possibly . she isnt our border service so even if intention was g9id it still a crime . on flipside im ok with our govt vetting who ever and deciding who can apply .

Return to “Canada”