Retirees - why stay in Canada instead of going eleswhere?

Hermes
Fledgling

Re: Retirees - why stay in Canada instead of going eleswhere

Post by Hermes »

Walkabout24 wrote: "you live like a prince compared to the locals, but the locals are living in nippa huts and eating fish and rice three meals a day."

Yes and no. Or rather, maybe.

Depends what class of society and what country. Working poor might live in nipa huts in upcountry Cambodia, but university professors in Kuala Lumpur and Chiang Mai absolutely do not.

What he writes in once sense is correct though. And this is precisely what I did in 1989 and never got out of the habit... instead of becoming rich here it is easier to work moderately and be a tourist in Southeast or South Asia in the winter. Except Singapore (too expensive) and Dhaka (too crowded). Otherwise, it amazes me why anyone still pays $18 for a cable connector at the mall here when the same can be purchased at an electronics shop in small town Malaysia for $1.50. I am not exaggerating. This is an example from my own recent experience. Now, ten-year visas are available for India for CAD$175. Thailand (no longer a truly cheap place to sojourn) has free visas on arrival.

It amazes me how people complain about prices in BC yet they don't jump on a plane and deal with it in the most cost-effective way. In Japan savvy locals find it cheaper to fly to SEA and have a holiday there (even after airfare) than vacation domestically. It's just the way it is. A friend in Sacramento retired with his wife to Rosarito Beach, Baja because he rents an apartment at 1/10 the price of San Diego (maybe even Ysidro). I don't call such people traitors, I call them smart. They are doing what transnational corporations do, but are just little guys.
Last edited by Hermes on Apr 25th, 2017, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well where to begin . first canada is a realitvly free country. indescressions of a trivial nature in canada might get you a fine where as other cou tries you might end up dead . my personal feeling is i will never explore all of canada in a life time but i will try regardless of price :smt045
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

maryjane48 wrote:well where to begin . first canada is a realitvly free country. indescressions of a trivial nature in canada might get you a fine where as other cou tries you might end up dead . my personal feeling is i will never explore all of canada in a life time but i will try regardless of price :smt045

I too want to explore Canada more. I just can't afford to.

I find Canada too law and order and busybody for my liking. I like a little corruption, not on major things of course.

I am not trying to convert people into being world travellers. I wish you the best.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hermes wrote:I too want to explore Canada more. I just can't afford to.

I find Canada too law and order and busybody for my liking. I like a little corruption, not on major things of course.

I am not trying to convert people into being world travellers. I wish you the best.

That like saying someone is a little bit pregnant (either one is, or is not) , either you have corruption or you don't.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

GordonH wrote:
Hermes wrote:I too want to explore Canada more. I just can't afford to.

That like saying someone is a little bit pregnant (either one is, or is not) , either you have corruption or you don't.

Like everything in life, there is a spectrum. So, I respectfully disagree with you.

In many SEA countries (not Singapore) traffic violations can be discreetly and diplomatically dealt with by thoughtful considerations that are tangable (cash at the first level of contact). But in most of those countries you can't get away with murder, thankfully. Only top politicians do that.

And I also disagree with you in your analogy. You can be a little bit pregnant. A zygote is not a foetus.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Hermes wrote:
Smurf,

Thank you for your experienced opinion. Nice to hear of your successes.

Aside from the travel aspect why else do you go south? I have travelled for much of my life and being in a new place is not as important to me as it was before. Being in a *cheaper place* is though!

If you compare the cost of living are either of the following statements true?

It is cheaper/better value (please explain) to...

1. Be settled (e.g. monthly rental) in the USA versus Canada

I have never used monthly rental in Canada so can't comment for sure but the going rate in Yuma right now is $2,000.00 + Hydro or less for 6 months. Monthly is around $400.00 + electric. It can vary a lot depending on the amenities you want.
We find groceries much cheaper and a lot of cases better food for less money. Easily makes up for the exchange and then some. If you drink alcohol it is a lot cheaper and a few minutes drive to Mexico is much cheaper again. Drugs, teeth, eye glasses are much cheaper in Mexico. A bit of checking and you will find the best places to go. I got a complete set of false teeth about 8 years ago for $400.00 and they are still great. Life in general is much cheaper.

As far as daily camping rates they are a bit cheaper but I am not too sure as I said earlier we are careful to plan trips around our memberships. I don't know if you are familiar with it or not but our membership gets us into Holiday Park Resort between Kelowna and Vernon for $10.00 a night. I believe (don't quote me) they are about $70.00 or more regular. Yuma also looks after us well. The Center where I wood carve charges $32.00 from Oct 1st to Mar 31st and you can attend anything you want from carving, wood burning, painting, pottery, silver smithing and much more.

All in all we find it a great life

2. Be RVing (petrol and nightly rental prices) in USA versus Canada

Gasoline is much cheaper in the US even with the difference in the dollar. I just looked at Yuma's prices, Arco where I usually get my fuel is $2.15 us today. Doing the conversion using the exchange rate where I go (Western Union) that is $2.99 CDN.
At a $1.19 a litre in Vernon for 3.785 liters it comes out to less than $4.54 or a $1.55 less a gallon in Yuma. That makes a huge difference when I purchase 70 or 80 gallons at a time in the motorhome. I even notice the difference in our little Tracker when I come home. RV repairs, parts etc are cheaper. I can get most parts for the Tracker down there at reasonable prices. The garage I use even gives me a free car to drive while they work on my vehicle even if it's just a check up and oil change.

Hope that helps you. Oh and you will have to obey the laws similar to Canada.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
WalkAbout24

Post by WalkAbout24 »

For me the impetus to leave Canada is not financial, although I like that it’s cheaper, that’s a budgeting choice. If I wanted to, I could have a higher standard of living here than I do in Canada, it’s just a matter of paying more for what you want. There are expats here that have gorgeous mansions and servants, and enjoy their lives very much.

I enjoy the lower standard of living that I have here, because that’s the way I’m wired. I appreciate being wrapped in cotton wool in Canada, but also appreciate the freedom in SEA not to be. I can ride my motorbike like the locals do; sans helmet and wearing shorts and flip flops, and it’s my risk to take.

The corruption doesn’t affect expats much, and it can be a boon. A few pesos can make a fine go away or a document show up. Corruption works to your advantage when you have the money to pay.

Hermes, you are so right about the ladies though. I’m 53 and dating a stunningly beautiful 29 year old lawyer. Not only is she a better partner than I could find in the west, she is better than I could dream of.

In Canada I’m an over-the-hill 6, maybe a 7 when the light is right. In SEA I’m at least an 8.5 and a desirable mate for the local girls. It is common to see men in their late 60s and 70s dating girls that are in the 20’s, who are 9’s. The culture is different here. Just as a wealthy man is expected to drive a fancy car and live in a fancy house, he’s expected to have a lovely young partner, and the partner is very proud of her catch!

Everyone like different parts of SEA; I personally love Sri Lanka, Cambodia and the Philippines. Hong Kong and Singapore are too crowded for me, Thailand is more LO$ than LOS (Land of Smiles) these days, although they have great infrastructure so living there is easy. Vietnam is fantastic and I love the north, but wouldn't choose to live there; Laos is a treasure, but it lacks too many amenities and is only for the hardiest of westerners. Never been to India but it’s on my list, although again, the crowds put me off.

My favorite spot is The Philippines. They have the benefit of having the most beautiful women in the world, they speak English and are such a loving and friendly people. They’re also lazy as all get out, and will rob you blind if you let them, so it’s not all rainbows and BJs.

Many expats live here for under $1000 a month, so it does attract the lower echelons of western life, and that can be challenging for other expats and the locals. But others, like me, with a bigger budget, live very well for about 2/5ths of the cost of Canada. For that, I get 2/3rds of the standard of living. If I chose to spend a little more, I can get a higher standard of living here that I can afford in Canada (ocean front property, servants, personal driver and so on).

I find I can manage 6 months here, and then I need to return to Canada to get a change of pace, but others live here year round very happily.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yes there lots reasons travel the world . i studied ancient Egypt all through highschool and would love see the sights there but i also want to go yukon again and spend a summer month . or west coast of van island watch waves for week or 2 . and now having a grand daughter i kinda want show her around canada when young and if she wants travel world all power to her i say

Return to “Canada”