Canada vs Trump tariffs

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Canada vs trump tarrifs

Post by The Green Barbarian »

JLives wrote:I think the US government needs a reminder that they're not the super awesomenest of everything and we work best when we work together. Cut them off and sell our lumber to other markets.

yes, let's just wave a magic wand. That's how business works.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Even Steven wrote:
JLives wrote:I think the US government needs a reminder that they're not the super awesomenest of everything and we work best when we work together. Cut them off and sell our lumber to other markets.

Our lumber isn't competitive in other markets.

Source, please. I tried to find a source confirming your statement, and couldn't. (Although I couldn't find one disproving it, either.)
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Green Barbarian wrote:yes, let's just wave a magic wand. That's how business works.

Or have your trade minister work out a deal in a new market with heavy demand. That's how business works. The loser here will be US builders and consumers. Canada will be just fine. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-c ... SKBN17R1VZ

Breaking news right now, Trump is signing an EO to withdraw from NAFTA. http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/26/politics/ ... index.html
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Canada vs Trump tariffs

Post by Merry »

We shouldn't be surprised, because that's the way people like Trump operate. Scare your opponent into submission.

The fact is that the U.S. would never have got into NAFTA in the first place if there wasn't something in it for them. So I find it hard to believe they would so quickly walk away. Far more likely that all this manufactured public anger at it's trading partners, and threats to leave NAFTA, are merely negotiating tactics designed to intimidate their weaker trading partners (i.e. Canada and Mexico).

Trump may well sign the EO, but only as a bargaining chip in the upcoming talks aimed at renegotiating a new trade deal. One which, if Trump is to be believed, will be very favourable to the U.S. but less so for Canada. Which begs the question, why would Canada sign a trade deal that is not a good deal for our own country? Maybe it's time for Canada to rethink having a free trade deal with the U.S. and revert back to what was in place in the pre NAFTA days. After all, things weren't all that bad before NAFTA. In fact some folks (particularly those whose jobs have moved to Mexico) think we were better off under the old system.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

OldIslander wrote:
Even Steven wrote:
Our lumber isn't competitive in other markets.

Source, please. I tried to find a source confirming your statement, and couldn't. (Although I couldn't find one disproving it, either.)

Last night on CHBC, don't know who he was, but a representative of Gorman's, stated that they already export to 30 countries and as a result even though a tariff will hurt, they aren't too worried.

That would seem to indicate that our lumber is competitive in other markets.

With all the 24/7 news on networks like CNN, where everything Trump does, or tries to do, is examined and debunked, anyone think it strange that none (that I've heard) of the US news has reminded/pointed out that the US has done this soft wood tariff thing 4 times before and lost all 4 times ?

I think the milk thing is a different story. Time we let the market decide the price.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Anyone remember the steel tariffs that Bush imposed?

At any rate, this doesn't change much for us in the long run.
Your bias suits you.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Woodenhead wrote:Anyone remember the steel tariffs that Bush imposed?

At any rate, this doesn't change much for us in the long run.

20% +/- tariff, plus an anti dumping fee, on $5.6 Billion ? The most recent dispute, 15 years ago, resulted in 15,000 workers layed off, sounds pretty note worthy.

I agree, in the long run, probably like the other 4 times, it will be proven that the government doesn't subsidize the forest industry. But in the mean time, the US will take and retain a phenomenal amount of money from our lumber industry and many workers will be looking for work.

I like the idea of expanding our export market.

Trump is a dangerous person, and Americans are VERY ill-informed as a group. Hell, isn't the fact that Trump is president, proof of that ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

my5cents wrote:I agree, in the long run, probably like the other 4 times, it will be proven that the government doesn't subsidize the forest industry.

Yep, all I'm saying. More of the same. Meanwhile, there's the China FTA. I'm curious how/if all this trumpitude will effect that.
Your bias suits you.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Trump is onto something with negotiating these deals to better his country; the end goal should be to have everything produced in the USA for the USA. The global economy, shipping everything around the world is very destructive and not in the public's best interest.

A country should produce all it can on their own and only import what cannot be harvested or produced on its land. Canada would be self sufficient with electricity (hydro), lumber, oil & gas, etc. Items Canada cannot produce efficiently such as bananas can then be imported.

The result would be a fair cost for product as it was produced with all the regulations Canada is subjected to. Importing goods from a country with lower regulations on environment (China) will take away from the ability to produce the same goods in Canada at a competitive cost. I know this first hand with the small companies I help operate in Canada. Most of our raw product is sourced from other parts of the world as Canada is simply not competitive, and then our product is sold around the world. While our products would cost more if made in Canada I see an opportunity in job creation for a country that can support themselves.

Canada would have a more stable economy if not driven from outside sources. Look at what one leader can do to jobs in Canada.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Sparki55 wrote:Trump is onto something with negotiating these deals to better his country; the end goal should be to have everything produced in the USA for the USA. The global economy, shipping everything around the world is very destructive and not in the public's best interest.

A country should produce all it can on their own and only import what cannot be harvested or produced on its land. Canada would be self sufficient with electricity (hydro), lumber, oil & gas, etc. Items Canada cannot produce efficiently such as bananas can then be imported.

The result would be a fair cost for product as it was produced with all the regulations Canada is subjected to. Importing goods from a country with lower regulations on environment (China) will take away from the ability to produce the same goods in Canada at a competitive cost. I know this first hand with the small companies I help operate in Canada. Most of our raw product is sourced from other parts of the world as Canada is simply not competitive, and then our product is sold around the world. While our products would cost more if made in Canada I see an opportunity in job creation for a country that can support themselves.

Canada would have a more stable economy if not driven from outside sources. Look at what one leader can do to jobs in Canada.

Trump is a complete utter buffoon.

The only way to achieve your goal of buying Canadian for anything that we could possibly produce ourselves would be import duties, or outright bans on imports.

We would then be subject to retaliation from the countries that we have prevented from exporting to us, thus we couldn't sell our exports to them.

We would have a real stable economy, completely flat.

But, we'd have lots or our own wood to build stuff with.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... 88?cmp=rss

"Now that softwood negotiations are at an impasse...we are free to make this change," she said.

"Dirty thermal coal is terrible for the environment. It acidifies our oceans, it speeds up climate change... We're in a unique position to stop that."

In a letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Clark says,"For years, American thermal coal exports through Canada have been increasing due to a shortage of U.S. port capacity."

"By eliminating thermal coal shipments from British Columbia ports, we can open up additional capacity for metallurgical coal that is used to make long-lasting steel, not burned to produce short-term electricity."

Gods I hate when I agree with her lol.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

my5cents wrote:Trump is a complete utter buffoon.

The only way to achieve your goal of buying Canadian for anything that we could possibly produce ourselves would be import duties, or outright bans on imports.

We would then be subject to retaliation from the countries that we have prevented from exporting to us, thus we couldn't sell our exports to them.

We would have a real stable economy, completely flat.

But, we'd have lots or our own wood to build stuff with.

The only thing a flat economy is bad for is owners of large corporations. Instead our politicians listen to these owners and open up trade doors to use slave labour in other countries to produce a majority of the clothes you wear and products you use. Canada's raw resources are shipped halfway around the world to be refined into products the Canadian population buys back and corporations fill their pockets.

I'd appreciate a flat economy. Possibly Canada could spend time on important issues such as health care and education as opposed to what is happening in the rest of the world.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Sparki55 wrote:The only thing a flat economy is bad for is owners of large corporations. Instead our politicians listen to these owners and open up trade doors to use slave labour in other countries to produce a majority of the clothes you wear and products you use. Canada's raw resources are shipped halfway around the world to be refined into products the Canadian population buys back and corporations fill their pockets.

I'd appreciate a flat economy. Possibly Canada could spend time on important issues such as health care and education as opposed to what is happening in the rest of the world.

I don't think any problems we have with our health care and education involves a lack of time to spend on the problem.

If we tariff or ban imports, other countries will retaliate and will tariff or ban our exports, so you are going to pay for the health care and education with ?????

So these cloths and products we use..... we Canadians are going to make. How much are we going to pay the assembly line workers ? So, Canada should go back to a manufacturing based economy vs a high tech natural resource exporter ?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

my5cents wrote:I don't think any problems we have with our health care and education involves a lack of time to spend on the problem.

If we tariff or ban imports, other countries will retaliate and will tariff or ban our exports, so you are going to pay for the health care and education with ?????

So these cloths and products we use..... we Canadians are going to make. How much are we going to pay the assembly line workers ? So, Canada should go back to a manufacturing based economy vs a high tech natural resource exporter ?

I appreciate your view on other countries following suit and retaliating with the same bans and tariffs, that makes sense. I also agree canada should continue to promote high tech industry, however we should not be a natural resource exporter and instead refine our own resources.

The question you posed about how Canada will pay for health care and education seems odd. Do you assume that other countries are currently paying for our care with free trade?

Paying the assembly line workers a fair wage may increase the end user cost of some items. If you think the cost will be way off the chart I urge you to look at how much cost is materials and how much is labour. You will be surprised to find the cost only inflates for products on average by about 25% for consumer electronics and clothing.

What will happen when all of the world has the same standard of living and jobs start to move back home as there is no incentive to move work to these countries? The only reason importing goods into Canada happens is due to the fact of inequality between the two countries standard of living.

If Canada is unable to support our own healthcare, manufacturing, etc as I think you are hinting at, are you not worried we are not viable for long term stability?

Return to “Canada”