This is how canada still treats firstnations

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: This is how canada still treats firstnations

Post by Ken7 »

driveangry wrote:1. There was no evidence given that she would be a " flight risk ".

2. Crown doesn't need a witness if they have enough evidence.

3. A " hostile " witness can do more damage to the crown's case and come across unreliable, so why create a "hostile" witness ??

4. Why not a hotel room with a female officer baby sitting. Clean her up, feed her, help her look respectable for court. Or is that just for the "white" witnesses ??

Why wasn't she given legal aid ? Where was victim services ??

WHERE WAS HER SUPPORT
???

No need to comment to your post. You have zero knowledge on what is required in the court of law or any court for that matter.

Oh and I should have mentioned chip on shoulder...wow. You sure are calling the kettle black.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 7th, 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post in all bold/color!
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 7th, 2017, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol ken7. so you cant produce case studies showing white female rape victims being out in remand before or during a trial . i see. well again 8 tried google and nadda.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

The idea that if this individual were allowed to be free (as per her rights) and not be jailed she would not show up for the hearing and thus no charges laid shows a lack of intelligence. Sorry to have to point this out.

Anything CAN happen while she is "free" awaiting the trial, she could pass away, develop a concusion - anything.

So the logic here is that if she is jailed and her freedom taken away she is guaranteed to then be available for the trial. But if allowed her freedom (as is her right) she will possibly not be available for the trial.

All in all, race or not - this is a mistake based in small minded procedures.

It is not humane - if it is the way of the law - it is wrong.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

What a terrible tragedy for this young woman.

There's too much to this to make assumptions based on what little we know.

Cardinal had initially attended that preliminary hearing without the force of subpoena, and there had been no issues around her failure to attend court when she was required to do so in the past. In short, she understood both the importance of her testimony and her obligation to attend court. Her only indiscretion, then, was her failure to testify effectively on her first day in court.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/angela-c ... -1.4148357
She was living on the streets, and although the author of the opinion piece has attributed her "failure to testify effectively on her first day in court" to panic, one wonders if there were other factors of concern to the court.

According to the advocate speaking on the radio yesterday, she begged to be allowed to stay with her mother (instead of in a cell), but her mother didn't know about the assault. This is so sad, and raises more questions.

When we don't know how much we don't know, it's pretty difficult to presume anything.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

rustled wrote:What a terrible tragedy for this young woman.

There's too much to this to make assumptions based on what little we know.

Cardinal had initially attended that preliminary hearing without the force of subpoena, and there had been no issues around her failure to attend court when she was required to do so in the past. In short, she understood both the importance of her testimony and her obligation to attend court. Her only indiscretion, then, was her failure to testify effectively on her first day in court.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/angela-c ... -1.4148357
She was living on the streets, and although the author of the opinion piece has attributed her "failure to testify effectively on her first day in court" to panic, one wonders if there were other factors of concern to the court.

According to the advocate speaking on the radio yesterday, she begged to be allowed to stay with her mother (instead of in a cell), but her mother didn't know about the assault. This is so sad, and raises more questions.

When we don't know how much we don't know, it's pretty difficult to presume anything.

So Cardinal — the victim, remember — was detained under section 545(1)(b), which allows a judge to detain a witness for up to eight days for "refus[ing] to answer the questions that are put to him."

It will be interesting to see if the investigation reviles the Judge made a error. There is likely much more that is not in the article circulated that yes you are correct, we do not know.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ken 7 wrote:
When challenged on fact of law. I stand up. As a retired Police Officer, I likely know the law more clearly than most here.
I also get tired of people bashing Police who when they do their job and are scrutinized just as they are in this case.

Do you think the Police were directed by Crown Counsel to locate and arrest this witness?

So therefore I am wondering, what is the solution in this case. Possibly I am missing something.

What seems to be your issue? Do you have a solution to this case?

IF they did not hold the victim, would the prosecution be able to move forth? IF the animal as I call it was not tried, what would your comments be to that?

What would the Justice system be then, I will suspect you will say a failure. Well let this guy walk and he might add numbers to missing indigenous woman which I would hate to see.

Once again the police are darned if they do and damned if they don't!
I gotta chime in Ken.
I don't care how much it costs, a rape victim should never spend 5 days jail detained.
Unacceptable for any race or creed. I hear your arguments and agree to a large degree, however, a victim should never ever spend time behind bars. That truly flies against what we stand for as a free society; the end doesn't always justify the means. And I feel that's your argument here.

Perhaps the equivalent of the mcnair unit here in Kelowna?

House arrest with stationed cop ?

Jail for the victim? Ridiculous.
And I may havE missed something, but dint see any cop bashing per se
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

What_the wrote:
I gotta chime in Ken.

I don't care how much it costs, a rape victim should never spend 5 days jail detained.
Unacceptable for any race or creed. I hear your arguments and agree to a large degree, however, a victim should never ever spend time behind bars. That truly flies against what we stand for as a free society; the end doesn't always justify the means. And I feel that's your argument here.

Perhaps the equivalent of the mcnair unit here in Kelowna?

House arrest with stationed cop ?

Jail for the victim? Ridiculous.
And I may havE missed something, but dint see any cop bashing per se

I just saw the story on TV news. There were a number of wrongdoings.

Even IF you can see past lodging the victim, what is this transporting her with the accused.

Talk about putting someone in a very difficult uncomfortable place. Never should one be put in that position.

I think there is going to be some policies made out of this screw up.

Return to “Canada”