How much is enough, Public Service Employees Union?

How much is enough, Public Service Employees Union?

Postby Gone_Fishin » Jun 9th, 2017, 8:32 am

So, these guys are very close to going on strike. Yes, these guys who make $35 an hour ringing six-packs of beer through the till. Do you think they deserve more, given the skillset required for the job, and the comparable wages paid for that job in the private sector?

When you're dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult for the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.
Gone_Fishin
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1990 posts

Re: How much is enough, Public Service Employees Union?

Postby Merry » Jun 9th, 2017, 8:46 am

I have to agree that it is very difficult to have sympathy for folks who are asking for more when they are already very well compensated for what they do. But it's not just liquor store employees who have their hands out; almost every employee, regardless of income level, feels they deserve an annual increase. This applies to managers, all the way down to those at the "bottom". The amount they earn has nothing to do with their belief that they're "entitled" to an annual increase.

How do we change that kind of thinking? I don't know, but I do know that it is a reality.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 3482 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 9th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Yeah, that seems pretty high for a clerk!

Union clerks at Interior Health (whom I'd argue have a more difficult job requiring more skills) make something on the order of $20/hr.

https://careers.roomtogrowbc.com/ViewPo ... -0-13--0-0
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 771 posts

Postby Bleach » Jun 9th, 2017, 12:09 pm

From what I hear, ONT is expensive as hell to live in. It can cost $20 to take the HWY if you have to use it to get to work. rent is around $1200+ for 1 bedroom, 2 if your lucky. $30H wage might, be like a $14/15 wage in kelowna. you can survive but no more.
Bleach
Fledgling

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Jun 9th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Bleach wrote:From what I hear, ONT is expensive as hell to live in. It can cost $20 to take the HWY if you have to use it to get to work. rent is around $1200+ for 1 bedroom, 2 if your lucky. $30H wage might, be like a $14/15 wage in kelowna. you can survive but no more.

Sounds like they need to lower wages to curb the cost of living in Ontario. It's a good thing that we in BC are not stupidly raising the minimum wage as it's clear this just leads to dramatic inflation and general suffering.
Pierre Trudeau was an epic disaster for Canada. Like father like son.
The Green Barbarian
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 10359 posts

Postby JagXKR » Jun 9th, 2017, 3:57 pm

https://opseu.org/information/find-your ... -agreement
click on LCBO
Wages start on page 80 are 35 pages of different job titles and levels. Their benefits are awesome. Hard to cry poor when you get every benefit under the sun plus a high wage. Remember that not all live in the GTA and there are numerous job postings for Hickville Ont type towns. Not very high cost of living there, except maybe for the hydro which is ridiculous.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Board Meister

Liked in: 364 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jun 9th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Try Googling Treasury Board collective agreements for some of the Federal agreements. Caution: viewing these salary amounts may cause unhealthy blood pressure increases and uncontrolled ranting.
bob vernon
Übergod

Liked in: 857 posts

Return to Canada