Sick notes banned in Ont

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Sick notes banned in Ont

Post by maryjane48 »

Proposed labour legislation banning employers in Ontario from demanding sick notes when employees take time off from work will help contain illnesses and free up valuable appointment time with doctors, says a Toronto physician.
The new rules, slated to take effect in January, mandate that workers be entitled to 10 personal emergency leave days a year, two of which must be paid. It also bans employers from asking for doctor’s notes for workers who take fewer than the allotted days.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/end ... -1.3451531

we need this in bc :130:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Sick notes banned in ont

Post by GordonH »

Those who get paid sick time will more then likely take full advantage of this, those who don't have paid sick time. Have bills that don't care if you sick or not.

Heads up to idiots who just want a day off here & there..... don't be posting pictures (i.e on FB) of what you doing on those so called sick days.

Added: there is segment of the population that are lazy as :cuss: holes who have jobs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ontario is turning into California north. What a train wreck . 10 days off a year . Sick time . Must be nice .

Any job I ever had if you were sick you pretty well quit . Someone else would have to replace you.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

But how stupid is that though jflem? Puking, temperature above a 100º, shouldn't be on the job site because one becomes a danger to every one else because the focus isn't on the job.

We just got this "lecture" from the safety guy at work for our weekly safety meeting. Be responsible, get enough sleep, don't come to work hungover etc etc. Need your head in the game.

But not working means one loses their job. When I see a guy clearly ill I have no problem taking up his slack.

And oh, 10 days is extreme. When I was self employed (changed recently) of I didn't work I didn't get paid. 12 years, 3 vacations. When I was injured or sick had to suck it up. Lots of times over those years I just couldn't show up too however.

So ya must be nice.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

What_the wrote:But how stupid is that though jflem? Puking, temperature above a 100º, shouldn't be on the job site because one becomes a danger to every one else because the focus isn't on the job.

We just got this "lecture" from the safety guy at work for our weekly safety meeting. Be responsible, get enough sleep, don't come to work hungover etc etc. Need your head in the game.

But not working means one loses their job. When I see a guy clearly ill I have no problem taking up his slack.

And oh, 10 days is extreme. When I was self employed (changed recently) of I didn't work I didn't get paid. 12 years, 3 vacations. When I was injured or sick had to suck it up. Lots of times over those years I just couldn't show up too however.

So ya must be nice.

Maybe not fired . But if u can't work . The job needs to be filled . Have to be a good hand to keep you around longer than a few days if every one has to work short handed .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Jflem1983 wrote:Ontario is turning into California north. What a train wreck . 10 days off a year . Sick time . Must be nice .

From the article ... The new rules, slated to take effect in January, mandate that workers be entitled to 10 personal emergency leave days a year, two of which must be paid.

They aren't being paid for 10 emergency leave days which could cover anything from being sick to surgery to finding child care for a sick kid - they only get paid for 2.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

A couple of paid sick days is a good thing in my opinion. Sometimes you just need a day to get over all the other days and recharge the battery.

I used to get 5 or 6.Never took them. Couldn't bank them and wouldn't even if I could have.

The problem with illness and its effect on the workplace is that, like everything else in life, there is this group of assss hats who abuse the system and ruin it for everyone else.

I'm sorry, but just because you have the sniffles is not a reason to miss work. And just because you're not feeling 100%, and let's face it, who does most days, also isn't a reason to miss work and if you actually have a cold, does not mean that you're going to infect everyone around you unless you're all drinking from the same cup and swapping spit.

Too many softies out there who will take a day just because they had to reach for a tissue.

Suck it up. Rub some dirt in it and qwitcher whinin!!!!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Sick notes banned in Ont

Post by Jlabute »

I am all for some paid sick days since occassionally getting sick is inevitable. If you have 10 sick days and 10 vacation days it gives you a lot more buffer in case you have something serious. Of course, a lot of people will take advantage of this. Habitual offenders are often caught and let go. Many people have no sick time and use vacation time.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

I remember once my supervisor sent, me home do to being sick, and the boss a few days later asked for a doctors note. :200: Had the supervisor vouch for me.
I am seldom sick and more often then not, someone has to send my sick butt home before I will not be at work.

I know a few old co-workers that would abuse the sick days benefit, however the most would not. It would be nice to have few paid sick days, and do away with the doctor's note.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I think it's interesting that we've all missed the real point- that doctors are wasting time writing notes for anal employers to prove that the employee is a lazy sack of s##t instead of treating truly sick people. Like just above was said, we all know who performs at work and who doesn't.
I think most people pull their weight and if they're not at work there's probably a good reason for it.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

It really highlights how far behind we are in regards to labour laws and workers rights. Many European countries have had these same rights for over 50 years now.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Ontario is turning into California north. What a train wreck . 10 days off a year . Sick time . Must be nice .

Any job I ever had if you were sick you pretty well quit . Someone else would have to replace you.

When I worked in Europe - I had a friend who came here to work. After a year he had enough - he came back and I asked hi why he left Canada. He said it's simple - one should live to work, one shouldn't work to live.

Interestingly the blue collar workforce in Europe is still a very large part of the economy, yet they have more rights and it hasn't hurt their workforce one bit.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Dizzy1 wrote:

When I worked in Europe - I had a friend who came here to work. After a year he had enough - he came back and I asked hi why he left Canada. He said it's simple - one should live to work, one shouldn't work to live.

Interestingly the blue collar workforce in Europe is still a very large part of the economy, yet they have more rights and it hasn't hurt their workforce one bit.

Yrs Europe is different I lived in both Spain and Belgium as a youth . I'd have to agree euro trash is lazy . Dad was working 2 weeks in 2 weeks out . That was in the north sea drilling . In Canada we get half the time off and work twice as hard . I'm proud to be a solid western Canadian. I like watching lesser men whither under a modest work load . Work em hard I say . Or kick em out . No need to bring lazy ideals here . Gotta be tough to make it out west

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

mexi cali wrote:A couple of paid sick days is a good thing in my opinion. Sometimes you just need a day to get over all the other days and recharge the battery.

I used to get 5 or 6.Never took them. Couldn't bank them and wouldn't even if I could have.

The problem with illness and its effect on the workplace is that, like everything else in life, there is this group of assss hats who abuse the system and ruin it for everyone else.

I'm sorry, but just because you have the sniffles is not a reason to miss work. And just because you're not feeling 100%, and let's face it, who does most days, also isn't a reason to miss work and if you actually have a cold, does not mean that you're going to infect everyone around you unless you're all drinking from the same cup and swapping spit.

Too many softies out there who will take a day just because they had to reach for a tissue.

Suck it up. Rub some dirt in it and qwitcher whinin!!!!

i found the ones that abuse sick days are the ones you can fire for poor work effort . it goes hand in hand

Return to “Canada”