Harper predicted a Netflix tax: Liberals bring it to life

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Harper predicted a Netflix tax: Liberals bring it to life

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Harper got this right too, despite the feigned outrage and absolute denials by Trudeau and his minions during the election that they would ever slap a tax on broadband.

More tax on the middle class, and those working hard to join it, courtesy of the Trudeau Liberals.

Liberal MPs to call for broadband Internet tax to fund Canadian media

DANIEL LEBLANC
OTTAWA
3 HOURS AGO
JUNE 14, 2017

A Liberal-dominated committee will be calling for a 5-per-cent tax on broadband Internet services to fund Canada's media industries, which are struggling to adapt to technological changes and evolving consumer habits, sources said.

The move would add hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues to the Canadian Media Fund, which already receives a levy on cable bills to finance the production of Canadian content. However, it would open up the government to accusations that it is once again raising taxes on consumers.

Liberal and opposition sources said the new levy is the central proposal in the majority report of the Canadian Heritage Committee of the House of Commons, which will be released on Thursday. The sources spoke on condition of anonymity as the report is not yet public.

The Heritage committee has spent more than a year studying Canada's media industry, in which companies are steadily losing advertising revenue and market shares to Facebook, Netflix, Google and other international giants.

Sources said MPs of all stripes acknowledged the shaky state of the industry, including the decline in local news coverage in communities across Canada. However, they disagreed on the solutions to the problems, with the Conservatives refusing to sign on to the majority report, sources said.

The Liberal proposal for a new levy would build on the current 5-per-cent charge on cable and satellite TV bills across the country, sources said.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/p ... ice=mobile
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Harper predicted a Netflix tax: Liberals bring it to lif

Post by fvkasm2x »

Don't they make enough money off advertising and government gifts?

ETA: Just saw that the idea was shot down

http://globalnews.ca/news/3530258/netfl ... m=Facebook
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Crickets
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This does not surprise me at all, once something becomes popular government will want their cut.
This will also happen once enough drivers move over to electric vehicles.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4161645

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has flatly rejected a controversial recommendation from a parliamentary committee calling for a five per cent tax on broadband internet services.

The new levy, included in a majority report of the Canadian Heritage committee released Thursday, was intended to boost a media sector struggling to adapt to technological changes and evolving consumer habits.

"We respect the independence of committees and Parliament and the work and the studies they do, but allow me to be clear: We're not raising taxes on the middle class, we're lowering them," he said during an event in Montreal. "We're not going to be raising taxes on the middle class through an internet broadband tax. That is not an idea we are taking on."

Internal Document Raises Possibility of Taxing Netflix and other internet services
Internet price hikes could be coming as Ottawa reviews cultural policy, critics warn
Trudeau said his Liberal government was elected on a promise to lower taxes for the middle class and raise them on the wealthiest one per cent.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol more like harper wanted a netflix tax . jt killed it :130:
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

[icon_lol2.gif]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

[icon_lol2.gif] "Deal with it."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Canada”