Retail's rise of machines

neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Retail's rise of machines

Post by neilsimon »

Sparki55 wrote:...
Robots can't reproduce my job, they are incapable of imagination.

In time, they will be better at it than you (or me). Don't count on any jobs being around forever.

Anyway, enjoy your day. Your arguments lack concrete sources and therefore I am unable to really get my point across to you since you choose to ignore facts. :130:

An easy to follow youtube video for those who don't get it yet:

The computer scientists and engineers will get there, sooner or later.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

neilsimon wrote:
Robots can't reproduce my job, they are incapable of imagination.

In time, they will be better at it than you (or me). Don't count on any jobs being around forever.

Machines will never be able to do random, non repetitive, creative tasks. Computers need to be programmed by scenario and they will never be able to be programmed for all situations. It would take a human to do this programming and we are not ever going to make something that complicated without huge issues. That video clip was terrible and only highlighted a few different types of jobs.

How will robots come to my home, *bleep* my plumbing, suggest a new faucet or hot water tank and then come back and replace it? They would have to make it up my driveway, knock on the door, come in, listen to my directions for where all the utilities are located, find scratched up old information on the old equipment to know what to replace it with, etc.. Step two; order it, pay for it, have it shipped, schedule a time to come back and do the work, carry the equipment and replacement parts inside carry out the work and give me the bill (which I may dispute if it is incorrect, and yes machines can make errors so it won't always be perfect billing). https://www.bostondynamics.com/ look up these guys, it costs millions of dollars to produce these robots that can barely jump over obstacles. Do you really believe that plumbing companies will spend millions of dollars on robots to do a job a human can do for $25 an hour.

My post is a big rant like and I apologize if its offending but I want to put an end to all this needles panic and the push towards a communist society. It's a load of :cuss: .

Not every job will be replaced and the videos idea of a work free society is crap. The bigger question is who will work and who wont if 25% or so of jobs are replaced. My tip is to educate yourself and get a good creative job and you will be fine in this lifetime.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol a a robot can do surgery. and your saying it cant do plumbing ? [icon_lol2.gif]
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

What is wrong with you people?

is it your intellect?

Are you too smart for your own good or for the good of others?

I think that's about right.

Humanity is on its way out.

TRANSGENDER FIRST - TRANSHUMAN SECOND - POST HUMAN THIRD

"Humans have rapidly decreasing-to-negative "Value Added" " ~ NASA
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Machines will never be able to do random, non repetitive, creative tasks. Computers need to be programmed by scenario and they will never be able to be programmed for all situations. It would take a human to do this programming and we are not ever going to make something that complicated without huge issues. That video clip was terrible and only highlighted a few different types of jobs.

Yes, it was aimed at people who aren't the most tech savvy. I suspect you aren't a computer expert and didn't quite understand the video. It was pointing out that even the tasks most people think computers can't do, they will eventually do. Computer experts, programmers, etc. will not program the computer to do the tasks, but rather to learn how to do the tasks. For the most difficult tasks, it is actually much easier to create a machine learning system and let it do all of the hard work. They are already doing this quite well. Most people think that creativity is a uniquely human thing, but it's not and some software is already pretty good at mimicking it. Personally, I don't think there is something special about any career which can't be done by a sufficiently advanced machine.

How will robots come to my home, *bleep* my plumbing, suggest a new faucet or hot water tank and then come back and replace it? They would have to make it up my driveway, knock on the door, come in, listen to my directions for where all the utilities are located, find scratched up old information on the old equipment to know what to replace it with, etc.. Step two; order it, pay for it, have it shipped, schedule a time to come back and do the work, carry the equipment and replacement parts inside carry out the work and give me the bill (which I may dispute if it is incorrect, and yes machines can make errors so it won't always be perfect billing). https://www.bostondynamics.com/ look up these guys, it costs millions of dollars to produce these robots that can barely jump over obstacles. Do you really believe that plumbing companies will spend millions of dollars on robots to do a job a human can do for $25 an hour.

Some jobs will take longer to replace than others. Part of the problem is that while we have a good idea as to which ones will be replaced first, we aren't certain about the more difficult ones. For instance, computer programming may take a decade or two, or a century, we just don't know, yet.

My post is a big rant like and I apologize if its offending but I want to put an end to all this needles panic and the push towards a communist society. It's a load of :cuss: .

Not every job will be replaced and the videos idea of a work free society is crap. The bigger question is who will work and who wont if 25% or so of jobs are replaced. My tip is to educate yourself and get a good creative job and you will be fine in this lifetime.

Maybe you will be fine. Kids of today will grow up in a world in which the many of the most in demand jobs will be obsolete in their lifetime. And the problem is that we still haven't mastered how to prepare people for a world in which they must change or become obsolete.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

https://www.reddit.com/r/BasicIncome/wiki/index

I learned more from starting off at the above link than what I've learned in this Castanet thread. (here, I've only learned that in the future, the Earth will be inhabited solely by plumbers)
Your bias suits you.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Those who think computers won't be able to replicate human creativity are sadly mistaken. We are just machines ourselves after all.

You can't stop the progress. automation is nothing new. Thousands of years ago we had oxen plowing fields instead of humans. We invented wind mills to grind grain for bread. It's just the natural progression. What we can do is find a way to adapt to it. If companies are no longer hiring people, and just using machines to create and serve everything, where does that profit go? What we could do is tax automation more. If companies are profiting off free work by machines, a bulk of that profit can go to the government who can help distribute it to the populace.

Unless you have another solution? Let's hear.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Omnitheo wrote:If companies are profiting off free work by machines, a bulk of that profit can go to the government who can help distribute it to the populace.

Well, companies are profiting right now off "free" work by machines - computers, trucks, vehicles, farm equipment - yet I don't think they're sending their profits to the govt.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Even Steven wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:If companies are profiting off free work by machines, a bulk of that profit can go to the government who can help distribute it to the populace.

Well, companies are profiting right now off "free" work by machines - computers, trucks, vehicles, farm equipment - yet I don't think they're sending their profits to the govt.

why would they and why should they
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

LTD wrote:why would they and why should they

Kind of my point.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

maryjane48 wrote:lol a a robot can do surgery. and your saying it cant do plumbing ? [icon_lol2.gif]

Sorry, they cannot. This is as far as robots can perform surgery; https://www.unitypoint.org/cedarrapids/services-how-does-it-work.aspx.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

neilsimon wrote:

Yes, it was aimed at people who aren't the most tech savvy. I suspect you aren't a computer expert and didn't quite understand the video. It was pointing out that even the tasks most people think computers can't do, they will eventually do. Computer experts, programmers, etc. will not program the computer to do the tasks, but rather to learn how to do the tasks. For the most difficult tasks, it is actually much easier to create a machine learning system and let it do all of the hard work. They are already doing this quite well. Most people think that creativity is a uniquely human thing, but it's not and some software is already pretty good at mimicking it. Personally, I don't think there is something special about any career which can't be done by a sufficiently advanced machine.

Some jobs will take longer to replace than others. Part of the problem is that while we have a good idea as to which ones will be replaced first, we aren't certain about the more difficult ones. For instance, computer programming may take a decade or two, or a century, we just don't know, yet.

Maybe you will be fine. Kids of today will grow up in a world in which the many of the most in demand jobs will be obsolete in their lifetime. And the problem is that we still haven't mastered how to prepare people for a world in which they must change or become obsolete.

:130:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Woodenhead wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/BasicIncome/wiki/index

I learned more from starting off at the above link than what I've learned in this Castanet thread. (here, I've only learned that in the future, the Earth will be inhabited solely by plumbers)

The following statements are directly from the article posted:

"Many wealthy people earn more from capital gains than income, so raising the level of capital gains tax is likely to produce a lot of revenue. Inheritance tax helps to fight the unfairness of people born to rich parents having a head start in life. And of course, simply raising income tax is always an option."

This states that basic income will be funded by rich people because it is unfair they control all the money which they took risks for and worked hard for. All their hard work passed onto someone who does't take risks or that works hard.

"So in certain circumstances, the central bank could print money and cover some of the cost of the basic income for the government, meaning that the government will be free to either cut taxes or increase spending to stimulate the economy without adding to its deficit."

Print money to give to people for basic income, this makes me laugh. Money will become worthless.
Example:
Let's say you live on an island where everyone loves candy. However, there's a limited supply of candy on the island, so when people trade candy for other items, the price is fairly stable. Over time, you save up 50 pounds of candy, which you can trade for a new car. Then, one day, a ship hits some rocks near the island, and its cargo of candy washes ashore. Suddenly, 30 tons of candy are lying on the beach, and anyone who wants candy can just walk to the beach and get some. Because the candy supply is far greater than the demand, your 50 pounds of candy is all but worthless.
Source: http://money.howstuffworks.com/currency9.htm

The idea of a basic income is great! Everyone has money to buy what they need. Problem is there is no way to fund it.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

No bias at all. :up:
Your bias suits you.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Automation in the workforce? Wow? Is this something new? I've never heard of this before. Scary

:laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Canada”