Natives owe Johnson an apology

zzontar
Guru

Natives owe Johnson an apology

Post by zzontar »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199879

Gov. Gen. David Johnston apologized publicly Monday for referring to Indigenous Peoples as immigrants

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -genetics/

Nearly one-third of Native American genes come from west Eurasian people linked to the Middle East and Europe, rather than entirely from East Asians as previously thought, according to a newly sequenced genome.

I really don't understand why he has to apologize anymore than I understand how by this logic, everyone here in the future will be able to say they are native as their ancestors could also be claimed as originally being from here. I never realized that an immigration background has an expiry date on it whence you become native.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Natives owe Johnson an apology

Post by maryjane48 »

nice try but by your logic then how can israel claim the land they do when if you go back far enough there will be a common relitive of arabs and israelis . [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

should african americans rethink slaveryvnow because y your logic it wasnt slavery it was darker family members helping white ones [icon_lol2.gif]
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

zzontar wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-199879-4-.htm#199879

Gov. Gen. David Johnston apologized publicly Monday for referring to Indigenous Peoples as immigrants

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -genetics/

Nearly one-third of Native American genes come from west Eurasian people linked to the Middle East and Europe, rather than entirely from East Asians as previously thought, according to a newly sequenced genome.

I really don't understand why he has to apologize anymore than I understand how by this logic, everyone here in the future will be able to say they are native as their ancestors could also be claimed as originally being from here. I never realized that an immigration background has an expiry date on it whence you become native.

and this is your round about way of saying what? Curious where you hope this thread wanders into.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea zzontar ? what exactly are you saying here? that first nations loaded onto a bout and were allowed in by who ? jesus and the mormons ? a better result is if mr johnson thinks before speaking
Last edited by maryjane48 on Jun 20th, 2017, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

in·dig·e·nous
inˈdijənəs/Submit
adjective
originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native

They didn't originate here or anywhere near here hence they are not indigenous hence no apology should be needed.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

zzontar wrote:
in·dig·e·nous
inˈdijənəs/Submit
adjective
originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native

They didn't originate here or anywhere near here hence they are not indigenous hence no apology should be needed.

Good luck with that.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

zzontar wrote: They didn't originate here or anywhere near here hence they are not indigenous ...

You’re right. After all, First Nations people have only been settled on this continent for more than 10,000 years, but they had to come from somewhere before that (the lengths some people will go to convince themselves they’re not bigoted racists).
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Ka-El wrote:You’re right. After all, First Nations people have only been settled on this continent for more than 10,000 years, but they had to come from somewhere before that (the lengths some people will go to convince themselves they’re not bigoted racists).

So after how many years would you classify everyone else here as being native?
MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

zzontar wrote:
So after how many years would you classify everyone else here as being native?

'bout 10 would suffice
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I definitely live in the past. A lot of people like to cling to a past that they never even knew (mind you, there are economic reasons to do so in some cases).

Return to “Canada”