Multi Million dollar payout to Omar Khadr

What_the
Übergod

Re: Multi Million dollar payout to Omar Khadr

Post by What_the »

Stuphoto and this^^ are the only thing that's not out to lunch in this thread. And there's no chance that a person paradigm of life can be changed by a few words here.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

dogspoiler wrote:I have never been more disgusted by our Govt. and legal system. He has admitted to murdering a soldier and we are rewarding him. That will send a message to our allies of what Canada truly represents.
Sickening.

I don't love the idea of giving 10.5 million bucks to him. But what I like even less is convicting a youth of warcrimes based on his admission of guild while he was being tortured.

If we are to accept an admission of guild during torture, then we're condoning torture.

He was 15 years old. He drank the koolaid and did some terrible things. A US soldier, an adult who signed up for the military and knowingly put his life at risk, died. This is horrible. But it happens all the time. War is awful, and we should stop sending our family members away to return in coffins. When will killing people not be a solution?

My point is not that Omar should be given 10.5 million or 200 trillion or $10. Just that torture is wrong, and we must not allow it. The whole situation is disgusting.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

The kid was in a war zone by no choice of his fighting for his family. As if anyone one of you would do any different.

If he were here in Canada, you wouldn't even let him have a drivers license at that age
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

fvkasm2x wrote:
Of course. To think they didn't do that to captured terrorists during that time frame is naive. The level of torture is debatable, but I am sure it happened.

You are sure it happened eh? Ok, I guess that's good enough for me.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

What_the wrote:The kid was in a war zone by no choice of his fighting for his family. As if anyone one of you would do any different.

I honestly don't know what you are saying here. And he wasn't fighting for his family. He was fighting for radical Islam. The real shame here is that somehow these people were in Canada when they were radicalized. How does this not happen again? I for one am tired of paying terrorist millions of taxpayer dollars because some naïve bleeding hearts think that they were "misunderstood".

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/khadr/
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

What_the wrote:The kid was in a war zone by no choice of his fighting for his family. As if anyone one of you would do any different.

If he were here in Canada, you wouldn't even let him have a drivers license at that age

That's fine, but I wouldn't expect $10 million from a government that had little to do with the situation
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

The Green Barbarian wrote:

I honestly don't know what you are saying here. And he wasn't fighting for his family. He was fighting for radical Islam. The real shame here is that somehow these people were in Canada when they were radicalized. How does this not happen again? I for one am tired of paying terrorist millions of taxpayer dollars because some naïve bleeding hearts think that they were "misunderstood".

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/khadr/

His father took him out of this country and into a war zone. Occupying soldiers enter his village,a fire fight ensues, a young boy watches his neighbours and family get killed. I know which side id be fighting on. If you want to call that naive...be my guest.

and not old or responsible enough for a DL but old enough certainly for you to condemn him for the circumstances above.

Like I said. Out to lunch.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

fvkasm2x wrote:

That's fine, but I wouldn't expect $10 million from a government that had little to do with the situation

Do you mean our current party government? Or the government of Canada that represents us as citizens?

My passport doesn't say the Harper or trudeau government.
It bears the seal of our dominion regardless of party or politics and expect representation in the covenant.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Canada should have done more to protect its Child soldiers citizens as well as citizens suffering torture by foreign powers (USA)
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Just the perfect way to wrap up a Canada Day weekend.

The Khadrs and other people who disdain our Western values should not be allowed to enter Canada at all, much less be allowed to live here and be granted the rights that come with being citizens of our country.

Our "leaders" should be ashamed of themselves.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I clicked on this thread because I wanted to know how the Castanet readers would respond to this story.As usual, we have a few people who understand what really happened to Omar over the years and feel a certain amount of compassion for a young man who was a child soldier and was tortured by the goons in Gitmo until he confessed to a crime he didn't commit. Harper wins the prize as the most cruel, insensitive PM in Canadian history, and it was he who initiated this court case, not Omar Khadr, and certainly not Trudeau.

The blame for the outcome lies squarely on Harper's shoulders. Any sane PM would have rescued this boy from the US right from the get-go. Every other country that had prisoners at Gitmo were able to get their citizens back; why not Canada? I think all of you know the answer to that as well as I do. You just won't admit it because you are dyed-in-the-wool Con voters.

I'm excluding Hassel99, What-the, youjustcomplain, bob vernon, and others who defended Omar on this thread from my 'rant'.
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

So Omar's family and their warped values aren't to blame for his actions, Stephen Harper is. Good to know.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote:
Of course. To think they didn't do that to captured terrorists during that time frame is naive. The level of torture is debatable, but I am sure it happened.

You are sure it happened eh? Ok, I guess that's good enough for me.

I guess you missed all those leaked photos, or bush and Cheney admitting "stress positions" and waterboarding.

Man, to think that torture doesn't happen in war or in the world of espionage or intelligence, well, like you said, naive.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

admission of guild.

lol
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

d0nb wrote:So Omar's family and their warped values aren't to blame for his actions, Stephen Harper is. Good to know.

Typical twist. Harper takes blame for leaving a citizen of Canada hanging in a lawless breeze. His father takes the blame for taking a Canadian citizen out of this country. The kid himself? Did what any one of us would do in that situation, wounded, watched his father gunned down, figured he was dead himself.

Return to “Canada”