Multi Million dollar payout to Omar Khadr

What_the
Übergod

Re: Multi Million dollar payout to Omar Khadr

Post by What_the »

Jx3 wrote:
FreeRights wrote:He is a Canadian citizen and has the same rights as you or I

You sure hear a lot of talk about "rights". Shame you don't hear as much talk about "responsibilities".

Well, just what exactly were you guys fighting for if not our rights?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

fvkasm2x wrote:
FreeRights wrote:Easy. He wasn't given the opportunity to be tried fairly and his confession under duress was accepted by our governments. He is a Canadian citizen and has the same rights as you or I, but was not given them.

Not easy.

He was captured by another country, in another country and tried in another country.

By your explanation, every single person apprehended for any crime in any other country can sue Canada because they weren't given a trial here. What about the pastor being held in North Korea right now? Should he sue when/if he is free because Canada didn't try to get him back? He sure as hell didn't kill anyone and isn't a terrorist, but "we" are allowing North Korea to put him in work camps and imprison him...

If I recall correctly, Guantanamo isn't exactly a country, rather a lawless grey area. Specifically out of the jurisdiction of the judicial arm of the US, and Canadian and allies, for the purpose of indefinite detention and coerced information and confession.

That, is not what Canada stands for..

Perhaps for a few of you?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

the truth wrote:
fall wrote:Only in Canada.

yup , we can thank the left wing nutjobs for this :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

We can thank the right wing nut jobs for getting us there in the first place.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

the truth wrote:
FreeRights[quote="the truth wrote:and your way of thinking and the way people like you think is why everything is so f up, , as an ex member of the canadian armed forces i am disgusted by are govt over this , they send us young men to fight overseas and then pay a terrorist 10 million :-X :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Also as an ex CF member, I wholly disagree with you as I believe that the Canadian values that you and I fought for should be upheld for all Canadians.

if true, good chance you were a pencil pusher, not a combat trade were the real work gets done[/quote]

I'm actually very curious about when and where you served. No disrespect in this question, honest question. I gather from your young men comment that you're under thirty?

No need to display. A pm would be cool. You'll remember my notch up comment in some thread. I no longer have a desire to spar, just understand :130:
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

FreeRights wrote:You missed the part that he was sent to prison in Canada after being brought back based on a trial in another country where he was found guilty after he confessed under duress.

1. That was done as a favor TO HIM so he didn't continue to suffer where he was. That was part of the agreement made to help him.

2. If he wanted to recant, then he should have applied for a retrial or explored other avenues.

People who admit guilt in other courts and then change their mind don't just walk free and get a payout. They have to go through trial again.

What_the wrote:If I recall correctly, Guantanamo isn't exactly a country, rather a lawless grey area. Specifically out of the jurisdiction of the judicial arm of the US, and Canadian and allies, for the purpose of indefinite detention and coerced information and confession.

Yep. Fine by me. Do you think those IED"s he made exploded with glitter and Skittles? I'm willing to bet they killed people and I'm willing to bed he had info on Al Qaeda, so lock him up and start coercing
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Terrorism. In this context I think it's intended outcome is for "civilians" to put pressure on government to act in a certain way- the innocent pay the price for policy.
Also in this context, what outcome would derive from "blowing up" a night club achieve?

Conversely, economic sanctions against a nation only affects "civilians" and not the ruling party. To what gain? To submit pressure from the innocents to the ruling party.

Personally, I think many people are clueless and submit to the emotional us vs them rather than seeing what's actually going on driven by the rulers.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

fvkasm2x wrote:
FreeRights wrote:You missed the part that he was sent to prison in Canada after being brought back based on a trial in another country where he was found guilty after he confessed under duress.

1. That was done as a favor TO HIM so he didn't continue to suffer where he was. That was part of the agreement made to help him.

2. If he wanted to recant, then he should have applied for a retrial or explored other avenues.

People who admit guilt in other courts and then change their mind don't just walk free and get a payout. They have to go through trial again.

What_the wrote:If I recall correctly, Guantanamo isn't exactly a country, rather a lawless grey area. Specifically out of the jurisdiction of the judicial arm of the US, and Canadian and allies, for the purpose of indefinite detention and coerced information and confession.

Yep. Fine by me. Do you think those IED"s he made exploded with glitter and Skittles? I'm willing to bet they killed people and I'm willing to bed he had info on Al Qaeda, so lock him up and start coercing

So to be clear, you don't care about your rights or those of others?

Surely you know confessions made under duress are inadmissable in Canadian law.
That matters not to you?
It sounds like you want the law of man but expect the law of the jungle.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

He was convicted. He was given this settlement because apparently his "rights" weren't protected.

So, some child molester or other criminal who gets beaten up in prison should be able to sue the government too for not protecting their rights. Should be interesting.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lets not over think this people omar khadr is a muslim terrorist ,and are f :cuss: govt gave him $ 10 million this is a slap in the face to everyone that has served this country and died serving it
Last edited by the truth on Jul 14th, 2017, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

techrtr wrote:He was convicted. He was given this settlement because apparently his "rights" weren't protected.

So, some child molester or other criminal who gets beaten up in prison should be able to sue the government too for not protecting their rights. Should be interesting.

correct are govt and soft on crime terrorist lovers opened up pandoras box on this one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

You have to remember, Tru-doh is trying to be the hip PM. He'll do anything, no matter how ridiculous, to look like the Ultra Liberal Superhero. Perhaps he should pay the $10 million out of his trust fund.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

techrtr wrote:He was convicted. He was given this settlement because apparently his "rights" weren't protected.

You've read nothing or considered nothing, have you?

Canadian law dictates that a confession under duress is inadmissible. Therefore worthless.

can you, or cannot not understand this?

I've read your posts about the law of the land.

Is it your law? Or the law of the land?

If one is in prison, 2 years or more, which is prison in Canada, means one has been convicted and sentenced to more than 2 years less a day. Prison. Not detained indefinitely.
Your molester nonsense is emotional diatribe.

The laws of Canada.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

techrtr wrote:You have to remember, Tru-doh is trying to be the hip PM. He'll do anything, no matter how ridiculous, to look like the Ultra Liberal Superhero. Perhaps he should pay the $10 million out of his trust fund.

You've sealed your deal with this garbage. Unable to be objective in the face of our codified laws, which you purport to uphold.

Eta- anyone that disparages a surname is juvenile. I will also add, undermines any credibility
Last edited by What_the on Jul 13th, 2017, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

the truth wrote:correct are govt and soft on crime terrorist lovers opened up pandoras box on this one

War in this area for 40 years is soft? I agree there's a Pandoras box, but really?

Please explain?

And in all honesty, I'd love that pm if you're inclined :130:
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

When (previous) governments ignore our laws and betray the rights of Canadian citizens we all pay. Trudeau saved taxpayers an estimated 30 million by settling on a legal battle pretty much all legal experts said could not be won.

Return to “Canada”