Who are the Proud Boys who disrupted an Indigenous event

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Who are the Proud Boys who disrupted an Indigenous event

Post by Rwede »

If showing up in a public place and asking people what's going on is disruptive and grounds for being fired from your job, then it's time for a rewrite of the Charter.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

jimsenchuk wrote:
techrtr wrote:Looked like a protest, not a "ceremony" from what I saw. If it was an actual sacred ceremony, I would say the guys who interfered were in the wrong. If, however, it was just a few people bitching and complaining about Cornwallis, I think anyone has a right to express their contrary opinion.

Another huge Canadian tempest in a teacup. We sure like to make a big deal aboot nothing.

When you are representing the Canadian Navy and you go and disrupt something like this, it does not look good for the Navy, these hooligans should be given a dishonorable discharge, they do not belong in any of our armed forces.

That's an overreaction.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

f/22 wrote:Ohhh. That Chief . . . Chief Grizzly Mamma . . ..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.4187445

Looks like Ozzy Osbourne circa 1988.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

wow the bigotry is strong in few here . look at the pope . guy in a dress ? hmmmm seems kinda queer to me .. [icon_lol2.gif]
Ccrider

Post by Ccrider »

Another Liberal witch hunt, being fed by the CBC.

These guys were just peacefully protesting against a belligerent anti Canadian protest. I applaud these Canadian servicemen who came to the defence of their country, for their bravery, and their patriotism.

The LIAR Defence Minister Sajjan states that he will see to their punishment. He is the one who should have been punished, after disgraced himself, and his country with his lies of heroism.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Rwede wrote:If showing up in a public place and asking people what's going on is disruptive and grounds for being fired from your job, then it's time for a rewrite of the Charter.

You are correct, although our right to freedom of speech is being limited by Trudeau and his new laws. It will come a day where if you openly offend someone you will be stoned... wait they are legalizing it soon.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I think they were protestors. The Mi'kmaq not the peaceful navy personnel. Now there are threats to tear the statue down. Does not seem very ceremonial to me. But I'm not Mi'kmaq. Oh but wait the leaders of the nation are warning the ceremony people not to tear the statue down. Not that I have any knowledge that the ceremony people are behind the threats. Must be a coincidence.

snip

Savage said any action this weekend to remove the statue "is not condoned by the Nova Scotia Assembly of Mi'kmaq Chiefs, by the bands that have land within HRM."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.4199974
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:wow the bigotry is strong in few here . look at the pope . guy in a dress ? hmmmm seems kinda queer to me .. [icon_lol2.gif]

Bigotry is a two street there sunshine.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Looks like the protesters won - the statue is coming down. I don't know much about Cornwallis or the history of the Miqmaq, but if he did put a bounty on them, that's really sad so I can understand people being upset. There's also a town and of course former Canadian Forces base named after Cornwallis.

Hope there isn't any dirt on Capt. George Vancouver.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

your right dizzy . it does work both ways . and if i see it from anyone i call them out . i have told few first nation idiots to shut up . this isnt one of them . do you even know why they want the statue removed ?
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

maryjane48 wrote:
techrtr wrote:Looks like the protesters won - the statue is coming down. Soon we'll be like the Germans and Japanese - we'll push certain aspects of our history into dark corners and our kids will grow up without knowing about it. Canadian kids will learn a highly biased version of history, where all indigenous people were good, and Europeans were bad. No point in getting mad about it, it is what it is.

so you support killing first nations for bounty ? interesting

Not at all and I changed my comment because I did some research on what happened in Nova Scotia. I'm horrified by what John Gorham and Cornwallis did there. I'm shocked that that actually happened in what would later become a part of Canada.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

techrtr wrote:...
Not at all and I changed my comment because I did some research on what happened in Nova Scotia. I'm horrified by what John Gorham and Cornwallis did there. I'm shocked that that actually happened in what would later become a part of Canada.

It is unfortunate, in the extreme, that Canada's origin came with some rather brutal and vile acts. How do we deal with our more "challenging" history in light of the fact that the descendants of the oppressed and injured people's are still around, and so are those who would place themselves as followers of the oppressors and injurers (the "Proud Boys")?

This is actually a question which Northern Ireland faces, where one side wishes to continue celebrating the violent victories and oppression of the other side by marching through their neighbourhoods and the other side wants to see the removal of all symbols of oppression (in their eyes), including those which currently represent the country of Britain (such as the Queen, Union Jack, statues of Cromwell, etc.). They have been struggling with this for a long time, and they don't seem to have reached a proper solution yet.

The "Proud Boys" remind me of the Orange Order. They may not have quite the same pomp and ceremony, but they are similarly offensive and intentionally so to a large number of people. They're the kind of people who I'd expect to defend it if Germany had statues to Hitler, on the basis that Hitler was somewhat responsible for the likes of the Autobahn, VW Beetle, jet transport, research into hypothermia, etc.

The most laughable aspect of the "Proud Boys" is their claim to "refuse to apologize for creating the modern world", which honestly nobody with any understanding of history would ever accuse them of doing. Firstly, even assuming that their forbears could claim to have done this (which is laughable at best), we are neither guilty of the sins of our fathers nor are we responsible for their efforts either. Secondly, it is certainly not particularly the forbears of the likes of the "Proud Boys" who created the modern world. Each and every group alive today can claim to be descended from those who to some degree created the modern world. The obvious ones are those descended from the Indus, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, etc. all of whom created empires of huge influence and upon which our modern civilisation is built.

The likes of the "Proud Boys" will claim glory they do not deserve, for acts they did not commit in defence of committing acts of which no self respecting person should be proud
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Don't fool yourselves, these Boys were just looking to stir up :cuss: .
Though instead of taking down the statue , why not have some educational material of the facts at the base of the statue for ALL to see like they due at most monuments.
I think this was a missed opportunity for the indigenous people there.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Don't fool yourselves, these Boys were just looking to stir up :cuss: .
Though instead of taking down the statue , why not have some educational material of the facts at the base of the statue for ALL to see like they due at most monuments.
I think this was a missed opportunity for the indigenous people there.

9h i dunno . how many hitler statues does germany have might be a starting point .

Return to “Canada”