Canadians need not apply

jazbeam

Canadians need not apply

Post by jazbeam »

When I first saw this I thought it must be exaggerated, but if you refer to the Government of Canada website it appears to be true. $117.6 million of our hard-earned tax dollars will be invested in scientists. Fantastic! Only problem is, our best and brightest are not eligible unless they are already part of the brain drain.

"Program Details

The Canada 150 Research Chairs Program, announced in Budget 2017, invests $117.6 million to enhance Canada’s reputation as a global centre for science, research and innovation excellence, in celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary.

The program’s key objectives are to:

strengthen Canada’s research capacity through the recruitment and retention of top-tier, internationally based scholars and researchers;
enhance Canada’s reputation as a global centre for science, research and innovation excellence;
improve universities’ capacity to generate and apply new knowledge; and
improve the training and development of highly qualified research personnel."

"Eligibility of nominees

Only researchers who are internationally based at the time of the application (both working and residing outside of Canada), including Canadian expatriates, are eligible to the program. Researchers who are already at a Canadian institution are not eligible."

If you don't believe this staggering exclusion here is the website I found it on: http://www.canada150.chairs-chaires.gc. ... l-eng.aspx Please, someone, please! tell me this is not true!
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Canadians need not apply

Post by jimmy4321 »

Instead of the usual anti Trudeau pile on, I'd be curious as for the REAL reason this is so.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

They are trying to attract researchers TO Canada.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Instead of the usual anti Trudeau pile on, I'd be curious as for the REAL reason this is so.

There is no good explanation for this. Top scientists will come, take our money, create no jobs; once the money is gone, they leave.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

So instead of hearing out a reason you choose that there is no good reason??? Lol
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

jimmy4321 wrote:So instead of hearing out a reason you choose that there is no good reason??? Lol

“I am pleased to announce the Government of Canada’s support for recruiting top talent from the world’s science and technology sector. Attracting international researchers and scholars to Canada is critical for us as a country. These efforts will also ensure the next generation of students learn from the best and brightest talent in the world, seeing what they have to offer so that they are better prepared for the highly skilled jobs of the future.”

– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science

That is the reason we were given. Please tell me how 25 overpaid researchers (not from Canada) will contribute to Canada's future generation. Why not give out scholarship money to deserving kids so they don't need to take out $40,000 in student debt. Money is what keeps many from finishing school, not the fact that there were no geniuses appointed to help the population.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Sparki55 wrote:There is no good explanation for this. Top scientists will come, take our money, create no jobs; once the money is gone, they leave.

the good explanation has been listed multiple times.

Your inability to see the larger picture does not mean the reason and intent is invalid.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Hassel99 wrote:the good explanation has been listed multiple times.

Your inability to see the larger picture does not mean the reason and intent is invalid.

The only explanation given so far is that this money will attract researchers to Canada. I'm not arguing it won't. I'm arguing there is no benefit for Canada to do this. Why $10 of the 14,000,000 working Canadians tax dollars will go to funding overpaid researchers is beyond me. Probably too convoluted for me to understand since I didn't complete the study the government did to see the outcome.

Spending time to voice facts and my own opinions on this forum humor me. I stat my opinion or a fact and someone who disagrees replies to me with something along the same as what you just wrote. Must be my inability, my poor intellect or some other defect of mine that contributes to why I do not see this the same way as they do.
jazbeam

Post by jazbeam »

'Attracting international researchers and scholars to Canada is critical for us as a country. These efforts will also ensure the next generation of students learn from the best and brightest talent in the world"

This article assumes that the best and brightest talent in the world is not our own Canadian talent, and that we are so desperate for talent that. My tax dollars? Meant for Candians, thank you. Invest this money into our Canadian scholars andfund Canadians to enable our Candians to 1)have the time and funding to become the best talent and 2) Ensure that the next generation of students learn from the best and brightest talent in the world and that that talent is Canadian

Provide Candians with this talent by allowing Canadians the funding to read research of others, to attend conferences, to purchase scientific equipment . . but invest our tax dollars in Canadians
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

jazbeam wrote:Provide Candians with this talent by allowing Canadians the funding to read research of others, to attend conferences, to purchase scientific equipment . . but invest our tax dollars in Canadians

:130:
puterbrother
Board Meister

Post by puterbrother »

“I am pleased to announce the Government of Canada’s support for recruiting top talent from the world’s science and technology sector. Attracting international researchers and scholars to Canada is critical for us as a country. These efforts will also ensure the next generation of students learn from the best and brightest talent in the world, seeing what they have to offer so that they are better prepared for the highly skilled jobs of the future.”

– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science.

On the application...
Political view ?
Liberal,,,
NDP...
Conservative...Please press red button.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Science in Canada's elementary and high schools has been strangled to death by the endless cuts to education budgets by the Christy Clarks of the world and giving the money to the 1%ers. Kids with no science and math ability then move on to university and avoid math and science and come out with Communications and Philosophy degrees and we wonder why we import scientists. It all starts in elementary schools. We're soft North Americans and we take the easy way out all the time.
jazbeam

Post by jazbeam »

puterbrother wrote:“I am pleased to announce the Government of Canada’s support for recruiting top talent from the world’s science and technology sector. Attracting international researchers and scholars to Canada is critical for us as a country. These efforts will also ensure the next generation of students learn from the best and brightest talent in the world, seeing what they have to offer so that they are better prepared for the highly skilled jobs of the future.”

– The Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Science.

On the application...
Political view ?
Liberal,,,
NDP...
Conservative...Please press red button.

Our education system MUST do a much better job of teaching critical thinking. This is the kind of hysterical rhetoric that morphs into fact in the mind of those who can be led by empty platitudes and who sign on to smear campaigns without checking facts. Do you support the government that denied funding to volunteer organizations because their beliefs on abortion did not agree with that of the government? Rather than make up questions that do not exist please present us with facts, or at the very least, an educated opinion. Please show us that your tax-payer paid expensive education has taught you to think.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Are there any Government funded programs to kick start scientists or potential scientists on Canadian soil?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

OKkayak wrote:Are there any Government funded programs to kick start scientists or potential scientists on Canadian soil?

:135: like publically funded universities ?

Return to “Canada”