Government doesn't match Fire Donations

Chyren
Board Meister

Government doesn't match Fire Donations

Post by Chyren »

Notice that the Lib's are not matching donations for the BC fires, yet, Fort Mac was supported.

Thoughts?
LordEd
Guru

Re: Government doesn't match Fire Donations

Post by LordEd »

Um..... Did you miss where the NDP is now the government?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

This would be federal.

Trudeau has refused to help BC fire victims with donation matching.

Prime Minister Harper always matched donations, to help people whose lives are in turmoil and to spur on the generosity of donors.

Perhaps a mod can flip this to the Canada forum.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

LordEd wrote:Um..... Did you miss where the NDP is now the government?

I suspect he/she was referring to the Feds.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LordEd wrote:Um..... Did you miss where the NDP is now the government?

Only JT is only just viewing the fire zones now and there hasn't been time to make an announcement. Are you suggesting the Feds would by-pass matching funds here just because we have an newly appointed NDP government?

Wasn't Notley in power when Ft. Mac burned? :135: Yes she was, NDP in 2015, and Ft. Mac Fire in April 2016, so how is your conclusion supported that JT discriminates in fund matching over the party in power in any particular Province?

You did ask for real facts and figures, correct? :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

The Feds have committed to $900/household affected to date. The province will have to request further assistance from the Feds, from the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA). But the province has to do the paper work first before the Feds determine how much money, if any, they will provide.

Edit: $900/household not quite accurate

The agency is providing $600 to every family displaced, another $600 for those who can't return home for more than two weeks and $300 per family when they can return.
Last edited by GenesisGT on Jul 31st, 2017, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Rwede wrote:
Prime Minister Harper always matched donations, to help people whose lives are in turmoil and to spur on the generosity of donors.

Really? http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau ... -1.4228670

"The federal government has had matching contribution programs for more than a dozen international events since 2004, but it has only ever done it once for a natural disaster in Canada, the massive wildfire in Fort McMurray, Alta. last year."

And yes, I agree that if the feds helped Fort McMurray they should do something for BC.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

GenesisGT wrote:The Feds have committed to $900/household affected to date. The province will have to request further assistance from the Feds, from the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA). But the province has to do the paper work first before the Feds determine how much money, if any, they will provide.

Seems like Horgan should be at home signing forms and getting that money to distressed people who are living an absolute nightmare, instead of shopping for socks with Justin Trudeau and getting laughed at by American trade officials.

I sure hope Horgan doesn't think a complete abdication of governing responsibilities in favour of the talk show circuit, a la Justin Trudeau, is what his short stint in government will consist of.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Wasn't the talk show circuit the Christy Clark method?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Rwede wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:The Feds have committed to $900/household affected to date. The province will have to request further assistance from the Feds, from the Disaster Financial Assistance Arrangements (DFAA). But the province has to do the paper work first before the Feds determine how much money, if any, they will provide.

Seems like Horgan should be at home signing forms and getting that money to distressed people who are living an absolute nightmare, instead of shopping for socks with Justin Trudeau and getting laughed at by American trade officials.

I sure hope Horgan doesn't think a complete abdication of governing responsibilities in favour of the talk show circuit, a la Justin Trudeau, is what his short stint in government will consist of.

Couldn't agree more. Why is that idiot Horgan deserting his province for a glad-handing tour to the US while the province is under a state of emergency and people's homes are being wiped out? British Columbians need to know their leaders are here working hard to help them as much as possible, not playing celebrity like dopey Trudeau.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Premier is not an idiot, he felt it necessary to add presence and weight to BCs interests and I'm glad he went. Did it feel like forever to you? Didn't to me.

What is shocking is how funds are not being matched to the Red Cross and were to AB.

Like he's a parent who knows how to stir strong emotions between jealous siblings.
Pitting BC against AB.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

This could be why the federal government is back to not matching funds donated to support disaster relief in Canada. It seems others complained they didn't get their share of the money, the government should not have given it to the Red Cross.

Okay, social snowflakes, so now the government says "We aren't going through that BS again, let's match funds that the Red Cross spends and not match the funds donated."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/fort-mcmurray-fire-charity-donation-red-cross-1.3571749.

PS: he is an idiot :130:
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I read that article and it comes very close, but not quite committing libel, in saying that the Red Cross tends to keep most of the money, "earmark it for later" and maybe give out a pittance.

Hmmmm, maybe i'm wrong. Maybe JT is right. Maybe he knows that the charity watchdogs are on to something.

But then, give money to the 2 percent and skip the damned Red Cross.

Match their fund raising instead. Do something!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I believe if Christy was still in there would be Federal help. As we are no longer a Liberal province we are S out of luck!

Not sure why people do not see through the smoke on this one. I did have to laugh out loud at stupid as he stumbled and stammered through his presentation.

I still can not believe we have so many Canadians who thought Trudeau was all that and a bag of chips....are you now seeing the light, I sure hope so!
Last edited by Ken7 on Aug 1st, 2017, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

He is giving BC 27 million dollars, just not matching RC donations as he did for Ft. Mac.

However, if the RC hoards the money, maybe he should match what they spend and not what Canadians give.

Or just have his staff skip the RC and go to the overlooked Charities. The front line ones like the Salvation Army.

Return to “Canada”