150 asylum requests a day

Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Re: 150 asylum requests a day

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

@Smurf: They aren't arrested, they're detained until they can fill out the paperwork. Some who "may" be deemed suspicious or under immediate investigation "suspect" can be held, but usually they aren't held longer than it takes to process the application.

This is an entirely LEGAL action, and in this country we allow for the process of seeking asylum.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Can you show me where it is legal.

While the RCMP arrests illegal border crossers, how many of them actually go on to lodge asylum claims in Canada is hard to track. Processing asylum claims is the work of the CBSA and the Immigration Department and in their statistics they don’t separate out how an asylum seeker arrives.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e34362204/

Asylum seekers arrested at illegal crossings so far in 2017 nearly half of 2016 total

While the RCMP arrests would-be refugee claimants, how many of them actually go on to lodge asylum claims in Canada is unclear.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... -1.4034597

RCMP caught nearly half as many illegal border crossers this year as in all of 2016

Stephanie Levitz, The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:31PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:06PM EDT
OTTAWA -- Data released Tuesday shows that the RCMP have arrested nearly half as many illegal border crossers in three Canadian provinces this year as they did in all of 2016.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/rcmp-caugh ... -1.3334139

I am not the only one that thinks these border crossings are illegal. These people are not crossing at legal crossings and I believe that makes it illegal. Please show me where myself and the media are wrong.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Didn't think they could ask for asylum from a country other than their country of origin if that country was considered a safe country. Well I guess they could I suppose but Canada had an agreement once upon a time with the States to send them back if they came in from the States to seek asylum and visa versa.
Oh well, a delicate situation and we will see how this plays out if Canada abides by their laws regarding asylum seekers from a "third" country.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

give it up smurf . if we go by your definition then all non first nations should be locked up ? :smt045
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

[Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 4th, 2017, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Earthquakes, endemic political corruption, a U.N.-gifted cholera outbreak, and a perenial target of fake charities and every other fraudulent scheme the Clintons one can imagine, Haitians just can't seem to catch a break.

But, as they are coming from the U.S. (by invitation of the Imperial Airhead) they probably won't qualify as refugees.

On the bright side, as fellow Americans, they pose little danger to our national security.

Georgianne Nienaber penned a good piece about the Haitian dilema.

2294 days ago, the U.N. introduced cholera into Haiti. 862,510 have since taken ill. 10,932 have died.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgiann ... 15586.html
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

You are mistaking this action as "illegal". I agree that the media reports aren't exactly "friendly" to read in that their terminology isn't quite spot on.

People who show up at a land-crossing can go into the office and apply for refugee status (or asylum) and the RCMP are not generally involved. They come through, they file the paperwork, and they leave as long as the CBSA has no "overt" reason to detain them. They are given a temporary status as a refugee claimant and will be processed according to their application and our rule of judiciary law. They are usually then hooked up with organizations who can assist them in the immediate if they require shelter or medical care etc. However plenty of people who will seek shelter here already often have family or a contact here to begin with.

People who show up at unmanned border crossings, or smaller crossing without such specific agents will be picked up by the RCMP and taken to the appropriate facilities where the process will begin, just like what I stated above.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I still have to disagree. I know it is legal to ask for asylum. I said earlier that they can go to a proper crossing and go through the channels. However it is illegal even for them to cross at an illegal crossing. They do it that way because once they are in the country the are not turned back, they get put through without the risk of being turned back at a regular crossing. It is dumb but that is the way it is. Crossing at an illegal crossing is illegal, asylum seeker, refugee, drug dealer, whomever . Your link does not address crossing the border illegally.

I will agree if you can show me where it is legal for them to cross at an illegal crossing as I cannot find it.

MJ If my memory serves me right First nations have special border crossing rules because they are First Nations but do not quote me on that.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

if your band had land that covered both borders your right . like mohawk and sumas bands
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

They can cross wherever they cross. If they are in the USA illegally which is very likely they might avoid a legal border area to avoid the American Border Service which will deport them back to Haiti (or wherever).

Therefore, they may cross the border anywhere, and even some decent size border stations don't always have the level of office needed to make an immigration decision/determination.

You may not like it, but direct from the border services website I gave you the link that says this is a legal opportunity in this country to do so. This doesn't mean they will get to stay, but it does mean they can apply to do so.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Thank you MJ I am sure that is what I am thinking of although I actually thought it was for all First Nations.

Osoyoos_Familyof4 the US border does not stop them. When you come from the US into Canada, you do not even stop at the US side you go straight to the Canadian border. It is Canada who sees them first and deals with them and apparently often sends them back. For some reason which I have not been able to find yet that changes when they actually step on Canadian soil and they are processed not turned back.

Watch the video I have attached where the police officer tells him he will be arrested if he comes any further (about 6:48 minutes into the video). It is illegal to walk into Canada without going through a border and that is for everyone. That is why they keep saying as they do in this report that the news spreads through the immigrant communities that even though it is illegal you will get to stay and be processed not turned back. The police must arrest them and take them to border agents, not turn them back. It is nothing to do with immigration or asylum, it is crossing the border illegally that I am talking about. I will continue to look for something explaining it but we have company and it might take a while if I ever do find it.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1175 ... nPageNum=1

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Remember Osoyoos Familyof4 to separate the two actions we are discussing. It is the action of crossing the border illegally that I am against. It has nothing to do with whether or not they can claim asylum. Although I am against them even being able
to claim asylum when they have "broken the law and actually been arrested" for it according to the police to get in.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Re: 150 asylum requests a da

Let's break it down, and not discuss specifically about the terminology and jargon.

There are many undocumented illegals in USA who are desperately trying to not be deported back to their home country. Some have been in the USA for a short time, some have been there a few years, and some were even born there. These people have established a social and family network in the USA and they may not even really have strong ties anymore to their country or origin. Many of them will have family or a social network here in Canada already established, and it's those Canadian contacts who are presenting to them that Canada is an option if they're concerned about deportation from the USA.

These people I suppose have the option to return back to their country of origin where they don't have a job, and maybe not even a prospect for a job. They may not have close family anymore because so many families in Haiti packed up and moved after the earthquake in 2010. The country was poor, has always been poor, and erupted into total chaos after the 2010 earthquake and never recovered. It is dangerous, and so many NGO's can't even operate there anymore because it's that dangerous. They have nothing to go back to sometimes, nothing, again they may not have even lived in Haiti for years or ever.

How could they not at least try to immigrate to Canada?

Some claimants will come in on a traveller/visitor's visa, and then request a rufugee status when they come in, this can be done anytime in Canada within the period of their visitor's visa. Some will come in through the border crossings, this can be very risky for them because if they're stopped by American border officers they can be detained and deported. And some will walk through the natural boundary and be ceased by our Canadian officers and taken into an immigration centre so they can apply. And others will cross the natural border and make their way to an immigration services office on their own because maybe nobody "caught" them crossing a natural border but they will go on their own anyway because the goal is to stay here legally. And finally there will be some who cross and don't register or report because they are afraid, or they have something to hide like a criminal record, or maybe an illness, or something that they worry will exclude them from entry.

Canada absolutely has a provision (as stated on their website) for people to just "show up" and apply as a refugee. Of course, this isn't Canada's preference, but we do allow for it and we have a process for when this happens.

So, they can return to this dangerous and violent country without a job and maybe even contacts, or they can risk coming here haphazardly and rolling the dice. Even if they come here and fail and get sent back, they are no worse off, so why wouldn't they?

The only reason Canada hasn't really had to deal with thIs problem extensively before is geography. Most developed nations in Europe have had this issue for decades, as has the USA but since Trump the game has changed. It's just the start, wait until all the Mexicans getting deported really start to come, although Mexico is far more stable than Haiti.

Canada will allow them their due process. I know this makes some Canadians very worried, and I accept that and in some cases you are correct, we will get some undesirables. But to send people back to a country with no resources, that is dangerous and where they can't find a job and where they may not even have a support network anymore because they haven't lived there for years is unconscionable.

And yes, thankfully Canada does seem to have a conscience.

Return to “Canada”