U.K. relaxes rules around gay men donating blood as Canada r

Because_They_Lie
Banned

U.K. relaxes rules around gay men donating blood as Canada r

Post by Because_They_Lie »

U.K. relaxes rules around gay men donating blood as Canada reviews policy
By Heather Yourex-West
Health Reporter Global News

Beginning later this year, restrictions around gay men donating blood will be relaxed in Scotland and England.

Right now, gay men can only donate blood if they have not had sex with another man for 12 months, but that period of time will soon be reduced to three months.

“The United Kingdom has done a large amount of research with over 65,000 blood donors,” said Nathan Lachowsky, a researcher with the School of Public Health at the University of Victoria. “And there is also new modelling and other research that has informed what we know about blood-borne infections.”

In Canada, restrictions involving gay men and blood donation have been slowly easing.

A total ban was replaced with a requirement that gay men abstain from sex for five years before donating blood; that waiting period was reduced to one year in August 2016. That still may be much longer than warranted, according to Lachowsky.

“The real risk question is about this period between when someone might have acquired an infection and when our tests can pick that up. The window period for HIV testing is approximately nine days, but can be as early as four to five days after exposure.”

Canadian Blood Services says it’s currently looking at ways to change its policies.

“We are working with the LGBTQ community, patient groups and other stakeholders to determine how to gather the scientific evidence required to determine whether it is possible to reliably identify low-risk, sexually active men who have sex with men,” a spokesperson said in an emailed statement to Global News.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3649377/u-k-relaxes-rules-around-gay-men-donating-blood-as-canada-reviews-policy/

This article brings up a few questions for me...

#1. Do only homosexual men contract HIV and AIDS?
#2. Why are there no restrictions on homosexual females who wish to donate blood, do they not contract HIV and or AIDS?
#3. Why is homosexuality of men considered healthy if can cause terminal disease, wasting away and death?
#4. Would you feel positive if you were given blood from a homosexual male when you required blood after a serious accident?
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Re: U.K. relaxes rules around gay men donating blood as Cana

IS there anyone who can answer my questions? I really am baffled
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't care if I get blood from a homosexual man (or woman for that matter). We're all the same on the inside.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Even Steven wrote:I don't care if I get blood from a homosexual man (or woman for that matter). We're all the same on the inside.

I am not so certain we are anymore.

Thank you for sharing your answer :)

I am extremely curious as to why it seems to be that only homosexual males are prohibited from donating blood during sexually active portions of their life... why is it that homosexual females are not held under the same criteria?

And again, do only homosexual males contract HIV and AIDS as opposed to both homosexual males and females?

What about needle users who have contracted the infection and/or virus... are they allowed to freely give blood?

We are talking in another thread about safe injection sites, the potential of policy being made to give out more free heroin to deal with the supposed fentanyl crisis - not that I could see them donating blood...but if they wanted to....would they be allowed?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Problem with anal sex is it has 18x the chance of transmitting HIV compared to vaginal sex. So statistically, the gay lifestyle is more dangerous and is the reason it spread faster among gays.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

-Doesn't the blood have a long enough shelf life to get tested?
-Is it quicker to clear a blood donation than it is too test an actual person?

If it's tested and deemed safe, what's the source matter - unless this is some "Jesus" thing?

Also a little off topic but what about organ donation?
-Are these tested? cause you can't put a kidney in the fridge for much length of time.

If death is imminent should you care who's organ you get?

Return to “Canada”