Mike Duffy suing Senate, RCMP for $7.8M

whitecandle
Board Meister

Mike Duffy suing Senate, RCMP for $7.8M

Post by whitecandle »

Published Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:05PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:14PM EDT

OTTAWA -- Sen. Mike Duffy is suing the Senate and the RCMP of Canada for nearly $8 million in lost income and general damages after he was suspended during a trial that ultimately found him not guilty of fraud, breach of trust and bribery.

Duffy has hired Ottawa lawyer Lawrence Greenspon to represent him.

Greenspon says the Senate "acted unconstitutionally" and that the RCMP was negligent in its investigation.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mike-duf ... -1.3559826
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Mike Duffy suing Senate, RCMP for $7.8M

Post by gman313 »

going to be expensive for us all

but Mike probably has a point
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just adds to my despising of politicians, bs' ing the taxpayers then turning around and suing them.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm far from a Duffy fan , but to be acquitted of so many charges after what seemed like years of his name being trashed in the media. I never felt like he had :cuss: you money, so i would guess this costs him.
What did we expect?
Swing and a miss.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Write him a 5 mil cheque and save the costs and the balance.

Not guilty means the "Duffy is a thief" crap for years has a penalty. Not a fan but this isn't any kind of surprise. Wonder why he wasn't quietly paid behind the scenes?
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

If nothing else, the Duffy trial put the entire Senate on trial. The reason Duffy got off, was that everything he did was more or less condoned by the Senate. Many other members of the Senate were furious with Duffy -- not because he milked the system like he did, but because he went a bit overboard and got caught, greatly reducing the richness of the 'gravy train' for them all...

Duffy is a deeply flawed person on many levels -- personally and professionally. He once sued 'Frank Magazine' for libel when they made some unkind comments about his weight. I believe the amount he won put that publication out of business shortly afterwards. But he felt it was perfectly okay to publically refer to Elizabeth May as 'Bucky the Beaver'. He wasn't a bad journalist earlier in his career, but towards the end, he was a shameless shill for the Conservative party -- 'paying his dues' for his Senate seat. Everyone knew that's what he wanted -- his nickname around that time was 'The Senator'.

It was a travesty that he got away with what he did, but at least the Senate was forced to tighten its rules, so maybe it won't happen again.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

whitecandle wrote: OTTAWA -- Sen. Mike Duffy is suing the Senate and the RCMP of Canada for nearly $8 million

Who does Duffy think he is? Omar Khadr? :-X
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea exactly why should this greedy buffoon get a penny? he already scammed us once and here he is for round 2 . i guess canadas conservitaves only care about money getting wasted of its to non whites ? nothing else makes sense :admin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And let's be clear as to who was in power all those years and who is going to be responsible for cleaning up Harper's mess.

Ooooppps, I just did. Poor Trudeau, I hope he doesn't get "blamed" for this one too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Watch out what you say about that man... or he might sue you into the poor house.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Queen K wrote:And let's be clear as to who was in power all those years and who is going to be responsible for cleaning up Harper's mess.

Ooooppps, I just did. Poor Trudeau, I hope he doesn't get "blamed" for this one too.

Actually, no. We the Canadian tax payer will be held financially responsible.

He was a lackie reporter soft on the Conservatives and was given a spot at the troff as a reward. Apparently it was not enough to get paid for doing nothing. (These senators get paid extra if they show up for work). He had to scam a living allowance etc.

Having beat the charges, still not good enough, he's now going after the Canadian tax payer.

His good looks are only second to his morality.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Duffy is about as slimy as they come. I hope he doesn't get a penny.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Exonerated or not this man does not deserve to be a Senator and is an embarrassment to all Canadians.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

In that case, Justin will secretly award him $10M just in case he might win.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:In that case, Justin will secretly award him $10M just in case he might win.

mikekadr.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Canada”