Dropping the first Prime Minister Name

Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Dropping the first Prime Minister Name

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Perhaps back in the day people like Macdonald didn't know any better, and unfortunately terrible things were done to indigenous peoples. But we know better now, the truth is coming out, ignorance still abounds, but still the wrongs of the past can only be corrected by our actions today. If there was some good done by leaders of the past, let it be taught. If there were injustices done to certain people simply because of their racial or cultural background, then let that also be taught for what it was, ignorance of days gone by. We cannot as a society move on until the record (good or bad) is acknowledged. So no, we don't want to erase the memory of Macdonald or any other leaders that made whatever decisions they made. We need to remember. Those who refused to acknowledge history are doomed to repeat it.
And as for the religious organizations involved in the abuse, they are just as guilty as the politicians of the day who signed whatever laws were required.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Aug 26th, 2017, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

maryjane48 wrote:no genocide? wheres your proof ? still going to ddmefend a person who treated the first nations same as hitler treated jews or isil treats non isils . you dont know canadian history is the only logical e cuse because anything other than paints a person as not very deserving to be a canadian .

You are more of an Off topic than i thought you were comparing Sir John A. as Hitler. That is an insult to all Canadians.
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 26th, 2017, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

maryjane48 wrote:no genocide? wheres your proof ? still going to ddmefend a person who treated the first nations same as hitler treated jews or isil treats non isils . you dont know canadian history is the only logical e cuse because anything other than paints a person as not very deserving to be a canadian .

Again, although new here, I noticed the time of this post. A little later in the day. Different if I may say, than ones earlier in the day..
Her post is out of line. Canada was guilty of cultural genocide not genocide that I understand.
Canada's government recognizes 5 genocides over the years, Armenian, Holocaust, Rwanda, Ukrainian famine and genocide, and the Bosnian genocide.
Yes there are many others we know but this is what Canadian governments recognize.

MJ, take a look at the definition of genocide(the deliberate killing of people, especially those of a particular ethnicity or nation) before comparing genocide as we know it to the cultural genocide ( I agree) to the first nations. Have there been moments where natives have been targeted, yes, but really...the entire native population of Canada was NEVER targeted.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I've seen a few online polls on this subject over the past few days and in each the overwhelming majority say no way to dropping the name of Sir John A. Macdonald from buildings. If I were an Ontario teacher I wouldn't be very happy with my union for suggesting such a preposterous idea.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

This article in the Sun would sure get some members on here in a tizzy

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/08/27/if ... rudeau-too
spooker

Post by spooker »

fvkasm2x wrote:This article in the Sun would sure get some members on here in a tizzy

But again the author starts out provocative and makes it sound like history is being erased ... extreme articles don't get me into a tizzy ... they just make me sad in that they're trying to "sell" the idea they're being so extreme about ...

While I've posted here before that I'd agree with removing the names I'm alright with the idea of keeping the names just making a more balanced report of the actual person front-and-centre so someone who doesn't know the whole story isn't given the wrong impression ...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

fvkasm2x wrote:This article in the Sun would sure get some members on here in a tizzy

Yeah, Trudeau was a card carrying, draft dodging communist and admired Hitler, Mao, etc. If Justin is anything like Pierre, he is only pretending to be liberal, while seeking power and communism.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/socio ... nwo154.htm
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Have we run out of things in the present day to be offended by that we now have to go through history to find things to whine about? Good grief!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

ya'll realize this is a non-issue right? useless banter

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin- ... -1.4265561

No plans to remove John A. Macdonald's name from federal properties, Trudeau says
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:I've seen a few online polls on this subject over the past few days and in each the overwhelming majority say no way to dropping the name of Sir John A. Macdonald from buildings. If I were an Ontario teacher I wouldn't be very happy with my union for suggesting such a preposterous idea.

exactly. These teacher "unions" aren't unions at all, they have morphed into evil leftist political organizations who suck money from poor teachers and embarrass them with idiotic crap like this at every turn. These unions are a joke and should all be disbanded. The union industrial model does not work in public education.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

These folks in favor of getting rid of Sir John A's name from schools and removal of his statue from it's location in Victoria ought consider a few other Canadian leaders of the past. I mean why pick on one person, when there are others out there who were our leaders when decisions were made that they would likely not be made today. How about William Lyon MacKenzie King? He was the Prime Minister during WWII, when all of the Japanese Canadians were rounded up and sent off to internment camps. Their livelihood were destroyed... their fishing boats and gear dispersed to non- Japanese fishermen, etc. The William Lyon MacKenzie Collegiate Institute in Toronto is named after this Prime Minister!!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly,were does it end --now---the far left has completely lost it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Treblehook wrote:These folks in favor of getting rid of Sir John A's name from schools and removal of his statue from it's location in Victoria ought consider a few other Canadian leaders of the past. I mean why pick on one person, when there are others out there who were our leaders when decisions were made that they would likely not be made today. How about William Lyon MacKenzie King? He was the Prime Minister during WWII, when all of the Japanese Canadians were rounded up and sent off to internment camps. Their livelihood were destroyed... their fishing boats and gear dispersed to non- Japanese fishermen, etc. The William Lyon MacKenzie Collegiate Institute in Toronto is named after this Prime Minister!!

I was just going to say that !

Don't forget their homes, anything they couldn't take, along with their kids, to internment camps. When I looked up the topic of Japanese internment, I was surprized to learn that they were kept interned until 4 years AFTER the war !!!!!!!! *bleep* ??

I'm really sick of our spineless government wanting to go along with whichever group whines about an issue.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

history is full of good and evil, it is what it is history leave it in the past ,but do not forget it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ken tukee

Post by ken tukee »

the truth wrote:exactly,were does it end --now---the far left has completely lost it

you demonstrate a lack of fundamental understanding of events. This has nothing to do with the left, and everything to do your ability to read and research, aka "google"

Return to “Canada”