Really? Canada Isn't Ready For Pot?

Veovis
Guru

Re: Really? Canada Isn't Ready For Pot?

Post by Veovis »

What the impaired measurable roadside amount?

What tools are ready for street implementation for such measurements?

What is the law for possession? Has one even been drafted?

Has that law been created or even drafted for vehicle punishment and fines?

What are the legal routes of sale?

How will the strength and THC levels bee measured for consumption?

etc etc etc.

Try to keep in mind the difference between the general public being ready and willing to accept legal weed and the actual implementation of said policy being ready are two VERY different things. I'm not even remotely surprised the police aren't prepared, how can they be, the government doesn't even have something drafted for them to attempt to prepare for it.

It's going to cause a great number of problems I am sure as everyone thinks our PM is cool "cuz weed dude" but will be less happy when they get arrested because the cool PM didn't bother to actual create any proper guidelines for it's enforcement.

Drunk and disorderly in public, drinking in public are offences you think without guideline a cop won't run you in for "doing drugs in public"?

Personally if you are a fan you need to get up your local MLA's butt about this and get some drafts on paper, deadline is fast approaching and there is little planning in effect.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Pot has been widely available in Canada to date, illegally but this isn't a new issue.

You make some great points but I'm sure if we stick to what we know now with medical marijuana, it will be easy to define strengths and how to sell it etc.

As for roadside limits. Start win 0. What do we currently do for all the illegal users?

The article talks about it like no one has ever seen the drug before.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Sparki55 wrote:Pot has been widely available in Canada to date, illegally but this isn't a new issue.

You make some great points but I'm sure if we stick to what we know now with medical marijuana, it will be easy to define strengths and how to sell it etc.

As for roadside limits. Start win 0. What do we currently do for all the illegal users?

The article talks about it like no one has ever seen the drug before.

It's actually the best place to start for police. Start with blank slate and build proper protocols. The government hasn't provided to tools to do so. I like 0 as a start too. So car smells like weed, 30 day impound like the DUI rules wilth no appeal on the spot.

Sound fair to start? What if the smell was from other people in car? There isn't a viable test yet for them to determine as like all roadside issues "judgement" isn't seemingly allowed anymore.

Even with the machines being built how has testing to show THC strength in the system? If I had 4oz of beer or 4oz of vodka the strength makes a large difference to pass or fail.

I'm not trying to be obtuse on purpose here but it seems like the police will be rather tossed under the bus so to speak for JT to retain to pot vote, and though I support the legalisation, I support it done smartly and I haven't seen this government actually listen, evaluate, consider, write and implement anything to date, just dream and smash through half baked ideas, which will result in bad things happening at enforcement levels.(which sucks for everyone).
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 12th, 2017, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Rwede wrote:
Veovis wrote:I'm not trying to be obtuse on purpose here but it seems like the police will be rather tossed under the bus so to speak for JT to retain to pot vote, and though I support the legalisation, I support it done smartly

*removed*

a promise is a promise. What other business can say, oh wait, we are not ready for regulatory change, can we delay it?

the criminal element is there now that argument is bogus
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

gman313 wrote:
a promise is a promise. What other business can say, oh wait, we are not ready for regulatory change, can we delay it?

the criminal element is there now that argument is bogus

This is the stoner logic that has prevented anything productive from actually occurring. I gave you actual issues your reply was "but DUUUUDE, he PROMISED, like chaaaa"

There are huge hurdles and I hope they get them done by the due date or you will see it just kicked down the road for a bit more, Justin wanted your vote, he could care less about a promise to you, he cared about winning.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Veovis wrote:This is the stoner logic that has prevented anything productive from actually occurring. I gave you actual issues your reply was "but DUUUUDE, he PROMISED, like chaaaa"

There are huge hurdles and I hope they get them done by the due date or you will see it just kicked down the road for a bit more, Justin wanted your vote, he could care less about a promise to you, he cared about winning.

actually, I would say the same of any regulation. Business not being ready for a change is not a reason to delay the change. Every industry I've worked in the government makes a regulation change, suck it up. The RCMP should be held to the same standard. Why is it anyone else's problem they are not ready.

your issues are minimal and easily resolved - not show stoppers
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

To answer VEOVIS

What the impaired measurable roadside amount? - start with 0

What tools are ready for street implementation for such measurements? - none at the moment, plenty being tested. I would counter this technology also does not exist for a host of prescription medications, legally available, that impair you as much or more than pot. We are not increasing or decreasing risk at this point. However risk will be decreased as these tools re developed.

What is the law for possession? Has one even been drafted? - who knows. I believe something like 4 plants per person. Anything under an ounce would be ok for possession.

Has that law been created or even drafted for vehicle punishment and fines? - impaired driving - use those. Same punishments.

What are the legal routes of sale? - we managed with alcohol. At the very least government stores but private stores should be allowed as well.

How will the strength and THC levels bee measured for consumption? - THC concentrations for recreational use. testing is available currently
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Veovis wrote:What the impaired measurable roadside amount?

etc etc etc.

Try to keep in mind the difference between the general public being ready and willing to accept legal weed and the actual implementation of said policy being ready are two VERY different things. I'm not even remotely surprised the police aren't prepared, how can they be, the government doesn't even have something drafted for them to attempt to prepare for it.

It's going to cause a great number of problems I am sure as everyone thinks our PM is cool "cuz weed dude" but will be less happy when they get arrested because the cool PM didn't bother to actual create any proper guidelines for it's enforcement.

Drunk and disorderly in public, drinking in public are offences you think without guideline a cop won't run you in for "doing drugs in public"?

Personally if you are a fan you need to get up your local MLA's butt about this and get some drafts on paper, deadline is fast approaching and there is little planning in effect.

bunch of states and cou tries have already done it. the cops are on drugs if they try and stop this .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://globalnews.ca/news/3378603/marij ... world/amp/

there is no reason not to follow through. . if the libs back track the next fed govt will be the ndp . as it is now the drug stance taken by cpc and lib party is part way there to ndp winning even if they ran a pet rock .
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

So when above 0 roadside = lifetime driving ban, 6 months, 3 years? Police need to enforce that issue, you seem to think Police are a "business" and will catch up somehow. They actually rely on the government themselves to issue the LAWS they need to enforce.

IF walmart lost out on all the dispensary contracts because "they weren't ready" that's a business mistake, if a kid loses his licence 4 3 years because can police will just "figure out new laws as they go" it'll be chaos.

Very different issues at hand.

The debate of allowing home grown is still being debated, I don't think it is preventable, however a measured valued product being the only one legal is likely to be favored by regulatory boards. (much like you can make your own moonshine and wine, but not that many do overall)

Justin said "the budget will balance itself" and 60 some billion in the hole later it isn't even remotely close, but when it comes to allowing police free reign to "police will balance themselves" I think we know what will happen.....nothing good.

The date might have to be pushed back but shame on them for that, but being negligent under the argument of "but he promised" is ridiculous as well. GEt off their *bleep* and actually do something other than selfies, make the legislation and laws needed and provide a framework for the provinces and other agencies to actually implement this.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Veovis wrote:What the impaired measurable roadside amount?

etc etc etc.

Is your Google broke? The government announcement on how they intend to form the legal framework was released 5 months ago. http://globalnews.ca/news/3377577/marij ... nt-canada/ Catch up on the news dude.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Yes they have an idea, not anything set. Saying yes at the top level does not give the street level anything. It's still just a concept not a reality and they need to finalize and then work out the laws BEFORE the date set.

They don't appear anywhere on track.

Why in the world does the concept of police having to much leverage to do as they choose seem like a good plan to the top cop haters on here, is JT love that strong?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 13th, 2017, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: flaming/ baiting

Return to “Canada”