First Nations should give up Status Cards

Chyren
Board Meister

Re: First Nations should give up Status Cards

Post by Chyren »

Its 2017 and we're still having this stupid argument.

How exactly does the "status card" have anything to do with our lives on a daily basis?

How about we support our fellow Canadians and just stop another stupid "bash the natives" rant and work together to get the issues solved.

While places in the world like Syria are facing incredible struggles, we as Canadians are seemingly arguing about native status cards...

What a great country we live in eh?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I'm still trying to understand the sales tax exemptions that status card holders get.

If we buy a new truck, we'll pay anywhere from 12 - 15% sales tax on it. With the price of a new 4x4 hovering around $75,000 these days, that's an extra 10 grand or so out of our pocket.

If a status card is flashed when the car salesman "delivers" the new pickup to the reserve, no sales tax is paid whatsoever.

How come? Why shouldn't a person who drives on the same roads as I, sends his kids to the same school as I, and goes to the same hospital as I when we're both sick, not contribute to the cost of those services via sales tax?

I don't really care what outdated words were uttered by someone in the 1800s, when there were no taxes of any kind.

I want to know why there's no logical connection to payment for the same services by all people driving pickup trucks.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Conservative Sen. Lynn Beyak has been removed from all Senate committees, a week after a series of controversial remarks about First Nations people came to light.

the bigot has been removed from all commities but we the taxpayer have to pay her wages . :swear:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:

the bigot has been removed from all commities but we the taxpayer have to pay her wages . :swear:

The biggest bigots are those who are continually demanding special treatment from another race simply because of what happened to people they don't know by people they don't know, well over a century ago :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Chyren wrote:
While places in the world like Syria are facing incredible struggles, we as Canadians are seemingly arguing about native status cards...

Well, yeah, seeing that we live in Canada and not Syria, or any where else for that matter. Sure, other countries have there struggles and conflicts, and on a Global scale, they're much worse off - but fact is we live in Canada, and we have our own issues that need to be discussed :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Dizzy1 wrote: The biggest bigots are those who are continually demanding special treatment from another race simply because of what happened to people they don't know by people they don't know, well over a century ago

The last residential school in BC was closed in 1996. The Indian Act is still in effect. Our provincial government didn’t even start negotiating treaties with the First Nations Bands in BC until the 1990s. It's funny how people with the least knowledge of an issue often have the strongest opinions on it.

The sad thing is there is no excuse for such ignorance in this day and age of internet access. I am grateful that our First Nations history and current issues are going to be taught in our high schools so our next generation is not as naive. Typically, the more educated a person is the less likely they will have racist ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74088
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Ka-El wrote: Typically, the more educated a person is the less likely they will have racist ideas.

So why does the left flash the race card, rousing up their divisive, bigoted sentiment, in every other thread on this forum?

You're inferring that those leftists are less educated than those who strive for equality and fair treatment for all?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:
Ka-El wrote: Typically, the more educated a person is the less likely they will have racist ideas.

So why does the left flash the race card, rousing up their divisive, bigoted sentiment, in every other thread on this forum?

You're inferring that those leftists are less educated than those who strive for equality and fair treatment for all?

o man ka-el , rwede got you on that one [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Ka-El wrote: It's funny how people with the least knowledge of an issue often have the strongest opinions on it.

For example, ...

Rwede wrote: You're inferring that those leftists are less educated than those who strive for equality and fair treatment for all?

The really sad thing is there is no excuse for such ignorance in this day and age of internet access. I am grateful that our First Nations history and current issues are going to be taught in our high schools so our next generation is not as naive. Typically, the more educated a person is the less likely they will have racist ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74088
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Repeat BS over and over again doesn't change the fact that it's still BS, Justin.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Because it was there to remove the Indian from within. To destroy the family unit. To show the true hatred for the indigenous peoples. To satisfy the perverted needs of priests and nuns. is the story of the indian act .

but since our govt made the deal they now have to settle it. bc announced they will attempt 14 settlements in 2 years. i suggest telling the other provinces to follow bc lead and get er done . :130:
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It's sanctioned racism, and it goes two ways. It's legislated and structured inequality no matter which way you slice it dice it, and fry it up in a pan.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Dangler

Post by Dangler »

Yes, let's get rid of status cards, tax exemptions, reserves, funding for human essentials. Great idea.

And then, let's give native people 100% of the tax royalties they would have earned if "we" hadn't taken their land and resources after making a promise to reimburse them. We didn't reimburse them. We stole the land and resources.

Like to guess what the balance owing to native people would be? It would cripple Canada.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Dangler wrote:Yes, let's get rid of status cards, tax exemptions, reserves, funding for human essentials. Great idea.

And then, let's give native people 100% of the tax royalties they would have earned if "we" hadn't taken their land and resources after making a promise to reimburse them. We didn't reimburse them. We stole the land and resources.

Like to guess what the balance owing to native people would be? It would cripple Canada.

"We" didn't steal anything.

Britons don't get royalties from Saxons.

Neither should natives get royalties from Canada that any other citizen is not entitled to get.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Dangler wrote:Yes, let's get rid of status cards, tax exemptions, reserves, funding for human essentials. Great idea.

So, which band do we give this money to? The ones that occupied the lands when the white man came or the original tribes that were conquered by other natives before the white man? This could get messy.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

Return to “Canada”