3/4 of Canadians who get cancer die of cancer

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: 3/4 of Canadians who get cancer die of cancer

Post by kgcayenne »

OldIslander wrote:
Glacier wrote:My question is this: does modern treatment actually cure you, or does it just delay the inevitable?

I know several people (myself included...) who are 5+ year cancer survivors, and are enjoying life immensely -- possibly more than folks who have never been afflicted -- having looked eyeball to eyeball with their own mortality.

Who cares if the inevitable has merely been delayed. For them, the discomfort of the initial treatments was well worth the extra years of good living, seeing grandkids grow up, being with spouses everyday, having mud every week with all your old redneck buddies... That's the kind of stuff that we live for, and the more of it we get, the better....!

Bsuds wrote:My stepmom was diagnosed with throat cancer about 10+ years ago. The survival rate at that time was 3 years.
She is still around and doing fine.

I guess it all depends on how strong your will to live is and how much you want to survive as long as you can.

The last two posts are really important to consider. Were they early diagnoses that resulted in less treatment discomfort?

I still think that maybe some people have underlying circumstances (depression, PTSD, etc) that allow them to embrace their mortality as a relief.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For those who think the Canadian health care system pays for everything:

Our friend has prostrate cancer, metatisized to his bones. The pills they want him to take would cost him $5,000 per month.

Let that sink in.

Why so high? When Big Pharma thinks people will drain every last penny from the family accounts based on "Hope" - Why not?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

kgcayenne wrote: Sep 18th, 2017, 11:20 am 60% five-year rate is not good enough for me. If I'm diagnosed with cancer, no treatment for me, .... I'm not going to spend my last good days being miserable with treatment side effects ...
Bsuds wrote: Sep 19th, 2017, 12:01 pm I guess it all depends on how strong your will to live is and how much you want to survive as long as you can.
Glacier wrote: Sep 19th, 2017, 10:40 am My question is this: does modern treatment actually cure you, or does it just delay the inevitable?
^ That's the biggest question of the century. By now we all know several cancer people who died. Cousins. Friends. Youtube guys. Cancer is huge in Canada. I think the medical industrial system takes about $200,000 for every cancer patient.

So here's what I would say to anyone who has cancer.
- If you're going to give the medical industry $200,000 for treatments that make your hair fall out,
why not travel for two years and enjoy life like crazy, eating 100% organic food, spending time at the beach and spending your money? Why not do that for two years and see what happens?

Gweilo 60's wife died four years after getting the treatments.
He talks about how much money he saved in the first video.
In the second video - his wife is dead - he says he's never coming back to Canada.
Like kgcayenne said - I wouldn't go along with the government's plan. I'd travel and enjoy life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX4riHkuuhU - CANADA SAVED MY WIFE'S LIFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZx0-p1-y2k - MY WORLD SHATTERED
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 9:40 am ...
So here's what I would say to anyone who has cancer.
- If you're going to give the medical industry $200,000 for treatments that make your hair fall out,
why not travel for two years and enjoy life like crazy, eating 100% organic food, spending time at the beach and spending your money? Why not do that for two years and see what happens?....
Why not take a chance of eating well, receive treatment, and survive for another decade at least?

https://cancer.ca/en/research/cancer-st ... t-a-glance

https://cdn.cancer.ca/-/media/files/res ... AwMDcyMzY4

https://cdn.cancer.ca/-/media/files/res ... AwMDcyMzY4
Last edited by Fancy on Nov 15th, 2023, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

couple of things about Cancer

there are many long time survivors- Oliva Newton John -20 yr survivor- Suzanne Sommers-23 yr survivor

no, you do not have to pay for your treatments ( you only pay for a small part of the chemo meds) if you have to travel anywhere for Treatment or surgery, you will get that money back on your income taxes- you do not pay for any meds that keep the Cancer away

Chemo is not as hard as it used to be and if you're strong enough you can do your 6 rounds and be done ( so long as you don't have any set backs) in about 8mths

all chemo treatments are not the same, some cause no hair loss- but if your type does, you can always cold cap to save as much hair as you can

you do not always eat your way into getting cancer, some people have inherited gene mutations- also Cancer has been around for a long, long time way back when people only ate the food that they grew and raised, no additives, no using deadly cleaning products, no cell phones etc etc

some cancers advance very quickly so you might not even survive for those 2 yrs of enjoying life and even if you do , they will not be pleasant

every single day our bodies produce new cells and at any time we can produce a damaged cell that can turn into cancer

and lastly , the advancements we're seeing in killing cancer is amazing !! there will be drugs available that no chemo will be required , you will just take a pill daily that will attack any cancer cells and any cells that want to mutate into cancer
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Patron wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 10:22 am and lastly , the advancements we're seeing in killing cancer is amazing !!

...you will just take a pill
:up: Wow.

But anyway, I know a lot of people who had cancer. Compared to the flu, cancer is a million times bigger deal.
They were told, like Gweilo 60s wife, the cancer treatment is "working." Two years later they were dead.

:chicken:
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm ...
But anyway, I know a lot of people who had cancer. Compared to the flu, cancer is a million times bigger deal.
They were told, like Gweilo 60s wife, the cancer treatment is "working." Two years later they were dead.
It happens. But chances of recovery increases the earlier the diagnosis and more and more people are surviving cancer. Stay on top of health issues.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Thinktank wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 9:40 am - If you're going to give the medical industry $200,000 f or treatments that make your hair fall out,
why not travel for two years and enjoy life like crazy, eating 100% organic food, spending time at the beach and spending your money? Why not do that for two years and see what happens?
Depending on what age I'm at and how far I'm hitting the golf ball, I think for the first time Thinktank has made a point worth considering. If I'm getting on and going to have to dish out $200,000 to delay the inevitable with a questionable quality of life I can think of other things I would rather be doing in my remaining years. Mind you, none of them include eating organic food. More like fatty rib eye steaks, cheese cake and cigars (yes, if I'm dying anyway I'm going to take up smoking cigars again).
spooker

Post by spooker »

Approximately 150 kids get diagnosed with cancer every year in BC ... and the majority of them live ... they go through their hair falling out, horrendous nausea, surgeries of all parts of their bodies, they are amazing ...

No, I won't give in to cancer without a reasonable fight ... I wouldn't recommend that to anyone ... if the kids see adults taking a "vacation" what does that model for them?

But there does come a time to let go, when medicine can't do anything more ... but that's too personal to discuss here ...
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

Thinktank wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 12:02 pm
Patron wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 10:22 am and lastly , the advancements we're seeing in killing cancer is amazing !!

...you will just take a pill
:up: Wow.

:chicken:
that will happen with some Cancers, especially Pancreatic and Lung- but today many Cancers can easily go into remission and NED- many are not curable but treatable which is no different than any other types of diseases -

and I disagree, Dementia and Alzheimers is by far way worse than getting Cancer- you ain't ever coming back from that

and yes, you would be amazed with what's coming up in the next 5-10 yrs some maybe even sooner to treat Cancer now :up: Cancer Research is very much in to finding a treatment that's easy for the body to handle and much cheaper than what the costs are doing chemo-
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

steven lloyd wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 1:08 pm
Thinktank wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 9:40 am - If you're going to give the medical industry $200,000 f or treatments that make your hair fall out,
Depending on what age I'm at and how far I'm hitting the golf ball, I think for the first time Thinktank has made a point worth considering. If I'm getting on and going to have to dish out $200,000 to delay the inevitable with a questionable quality of life I can think of other things I would rather be doing in my remaining years. Mind you, none of them include eating organic food. More like fatty rib eye steaks, cheese cake and cigars (yes, if I'm dying anyway I'm going to take up smoking cigars again).
your a Canadian, you will not dish out $200K , maybe $200 for pre chemo meds if you don't have benefits and maybe $2K if you have to travel for the surgery-
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've known a lot of people that have survived cancer and never had to dish out that kind of money.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

spooker wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 1:11 pm Approximately 150 kids get diagnosed with cancer every year in BC ... and the majority of them live ... they go through their hair falling out, horrendous nausea, surgeries of all parts of their bodies, they are amazing ...

No, I won't give in to cancer without a reasonable fight ... I wouldn't recommend that to anyone ... if the kids see adults taking a "vacation" what does that model for them?

But there does come a time to let go, when medicine can't do anything more ... but that's too personal to discuss here ...
sadly many people do give in by refusing chemo and/or using a "natural" cure- nobody ever lives long if they choose that route- Cancer mutates very quickly , if you don't get the surgery to remove it and the chemo to kill right away, you will most certainly die much faster than you think

but if you are at stage 4 and the beast has taken over , your oncologist will tell you and they will say- best to get your affairs in order and go do whatever the hell you want and when you hit the hospice/coma stage, they will help you rest your soul painlessly and peacefully-
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

Fancy wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 1:22 pm I've known a lot of people that have survived cancer and never had to dish out that kind of money.
:up: this is 100% correct- other Countries are much different than us though- the USA is a great example- you literally have to fight insurance companies to get treatment- pay a large deductible and co pay a large amount for meds to keep fighting it

us Canadians do NOT have to deal with any of that- our Treatments are free, except for a few things and if you financially can't afford to pay anything, our HealthCare system will take care of you- you will never be denied cancer treatment here if your poor
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Patron wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 1:18 pm
steven lloyd wrote: Nov 15th, 2023, 1:08 pm Depending on what age I'm at and how far I'm hitting the golf ball, I think for the first time Thinktank has made a point worth considering. If I'm getting on and going to have to dish out $200,000 to delay the inevitable with a questionable quality of life I can think of other things I would rather be doing in my remaining years. Mind you, none of them include eating organic food. More like fatty rib eye steaks, cheese cake and cigars (yes, if I'm dying anyway I'm going to take up smoking cigars again).
your a Canadian, you will not dish out $200K , maybe $200 for pre chemo meds if you don't have benefits and maybe $2K if you have to travel for the surgery-
Yes, I am a Canadian - but I would have to move back to and live in Canada to be covered. So there would be other considerations. Again, it would depend on a lot of things - my age, proposed treatment, expected duration and quality of life, etc. I'm not concerned with living to 90. When life stops being good I'll be ready.

Return to “Canada”