Access to information has worsened under Trudeau Government

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Access to information has worsened under Trudeau Government

Post by Merry »

Canada's access-to-information system has only gotten worse under Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government, and a new Liberal bill intended to fix the problems has "worrisome" elements, a new report has found.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/p ... e36407309/

I thought stuff like this was the reason we kicked Harper out; but now we find the Libs are even worse.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Access to information has worsened under Trudeau Governm

Post by rustled »

It's not just the Federal government that's struggling with this. The auditors weren't happy with how long it took BC's previous government, either.

With the advent of social media, everyone with an agenda and a blog site is a reporter with expectations of accessing whatever information they want whenever they want it. Changes to the privacy act mean the government will be sued if they release information that hasn't been properly redacted. It's a perfect storm.

As I see it, we either pony up to hire a lot more paper pushers, or we put some kind of rules into effect around nuisance requests. And that gets dangerous, because at the end of the day, the public does have the right to know. So I see massive bloat to this arm of the public service in our near future, and at every level: federal, provincial and municipal.

No point laying it all at the feet of any one party, though. It's pervasive.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rustled wrote:It's not just the Federal government that's struggling with this. The auditors weren't happy with how long it took BC's previous government, either.

With the advent of social media, everyone's a reporter with the expectations of accessing whatever information they want whenever they want it. Changes to the privacy act mean the government will be sued if they release information that hasn't been properly redacted. It's a perfect storm.

As I see it, we either pony up to hire a lot more paper pushers, or we put some kind of rules into effect around nuisance requests. And that gets dangerous, because at the end of the day, the public does have the right to know. So I see massive bloat to this arm of the public service in our near future, and at every level: federal, provincial and municipal.

No point laying it all at the feet of any one party, though. It's pervasive.
the answer is to follow the law . its simple .
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

IS it just "simple" mj?

Fine as a reported/blogger I now FOI your bank records.....just hand them over now, no thought, consideration, or evaluation of whether that is the right thing or not, let's just say "it's the law" and there it's settled.....

Hmmmmmm

No bank recons in my inbox yet....odd.....maybe it's not just "simple" to process piles of requests most of which are pointless drivel from clueless people and it holds the entire system up.

Return to “Canada”