Liberals Walk Out on Status of Women Committee

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Liberals Walk Out on Status of Women Committee

Post by Glacier »

The Conservative MP nominated to chair the meeting thinks that people who kill a woman 9 months pregnant with a wanted fetus should be punished more than just killing a woman. This is too much for the Liberals.

Interestingly enough, even though the conservatives only garnered 30% of the vote, double that number of Canadians agree with this Conservative MP on abortion, especially among women.

I am an atheist and a humanist. I lean left on most political and fiscal issues. But when Liberal and NDP MPs stormed out of a meeting of the Committee on the Status of Women in protest of the appointment of a pro-life woman as its chair, I was appalled.

It is bad enough that both the Liberal and NDP parties have barred progressive Canadians from running as their candidates if they disagree with the legal status quo of abortion on demand through all nine months. But now the Liberals want to micro-manage even the voices of the Opposition? Parliament’s rules dictate that the chair of this committee be appointed by the leader of the Opposition. That ought to mean at least one voice that the Liberals do not have the right to control.

[...]

Damoff also decried Harder for having asked a question of the Status of Women’s Minister Maryam Monsef that “had to do with abortion.” What Damoff neglected to tell her audience was that the question Harder had asked pertained to gender discrimination, and whether sex-selective targeting of female fetuses (brought to light in a 2012 Canadian Medical Association report) ought to qualify as such. According to a 2011 Environics poll, a whopping 92 per cent of Canadians believe sex-selection abortions should be illegal. Liberal MPs like Pam Damoff and Maryam Monsef are the exception in thinking that a woman’s reproductive choice trumps the rights of fetuses to not be killed just because they are female.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/liberal ... ppositions
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
whitecandle
Board Meister

Re: Liberals Walk Out on Status of Women Committee

Post by whitecandle »

The committee was scheduled to meet Thursday, but the Conservatives asked that the meeting be put off because two of its MPs couldn’t attend. It was rescheduled to next Tuesday.

That meeting is unlikely to go ahead unless the Liberals back down from their opposition to Harder or the Conservatives agree to nominate someone else.

Harder, the Liberals and NDP said, is not qualified to chair the committee because she holds anti-abortion views.

“It’s not that we can’t work with a Conservative as chair of the committee, but the spokesperson for Canadian women should be someone who is representative of the Supreme Court decision that was made in 1988,” said Liberal MP Pam Damoff, who is one of the vice-chairs.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... ittee.html
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

good for them . i would walk out on a mentaly ill woman to that doesnt respect canadas abortion laws and wants to implement christianitys version of sharia law :smt045
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

maryjane48 wrote:good for them . i would walk out on a mentaly ill woman to that doesnt respect canadas abortion laws and wants to implement christianitys version of sharia law :smt045

Abortion is not a religious issue. Did you read the article I posted? The author is not a Christian.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

In this case, I would agree with the Liberals. The chair of such a committee should be representing the Supreme Court views on abortion.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

She doesn't disagree with the Supreme Court. The supreme has not ruled on whether or not it should be illegal to kill a wanted fetus. 75% of women and 69% of men think it should be a crime. And yet the Liberals think the chairperson should be reserved for the 25% of women who think someone who kills a wanted baby.
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

FreeRights wrote:In this case, I would agree with the Liberals. The chair of such a committee should be representing the Supreme Court views on abortion.

I agree. That's why Harder should be the Chair. Shame on the Liberals and NDP. This is why Scheer is going to win in 2019. These people just don't get it. Shout down people who disagree with you equals loss at the ballot box.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

green how do you figure canada will vote for a bigot and anti canadian law . sheer is going to be the biggest downfa of your beloved rightwing party . i havent met anyone that would vote for andrews bible thumping anti canadian values. you might as we voted kelly lietch as leader for a it will matter. one good thng is ndp will have a good chance at beating jt with backwards sheer at helm of cpc :130:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Glacier wrote:She doesn't disagree with the Supreme Court. The supreme has not ruled on whether or not it should be illegal to kill a wanted fetus. 75% of women and 69% of men think it should be a crime. And yet the Liberals think the chairperson should be reserved for the 25% of women who think someone who kills a wanted baby.

Think what specifically should be a crime? Nobody but me gets a say on my reproductive rights. Not you. Not voters. Not the government. Nobody. The only thing we have a say on collectively is making a woman's right to her body safe.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote:green how do you figure canada will vote for a bigot and anti canadian law :

Please stop with this garbage. This is just ridiculous.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

JLives wrote:
Think what specifically should be a crime? Nobody but me gets a say on my reproductive rights. Not you. Not voters. Not the government. Nobody. The only thing we have a say on collectively is making a woman's right to her body safe.

and right now in Canada there is no protection for a fetus even in the 9th month of pregnancy. There's no law at all, because no government has the will to even broach the subject, and as we see in this situation, if anyone in government displays the guts to even talk about it, you have the uber-sanctimonious morons in the Liberal and NDP parties walking out on the discussion, and lunatics ready to insult with idiotic comments about "bigots" and anti-religious slurs. This discussion has to happen. That's great that you want to jump on your high horse here, but there should be something on the books in terms of a law after the baby (yes baby) reaches a certain age in the womb. Would you abort a fetus at 8 and a half months?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

glac if you think 75 percent of the women in canada are against abortion rights then its time to leave the commune.

Nearly four out of five Canadians believe abortion should be legal, a recent survey reveals, and Canadians still tend to have a more favourable attitude toward the procedure than our neighbours to the south.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

maryjane48 wrote:glac if you think 75 percent of the women in canada are against abortion rights then its time to leave the commune.

Nearly four out of five Canadians believe abortion should be legal, a recent survey reveals, and Canadians still tend to have a more favourable attitude toward the procedure than our neighbours to the south.

75% of women are not against abortion. Rather, they think that women's choice/desire should be taken into account. If I punch you in the stomach, and you lose your baby, 75% of women say I should be punished if you were wanting to keep it.
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote:glac if you think 75 percent of the women in canada are against abortion rights .

Glacier doesn't think this. At all.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

maryjane48 wrote:glac if you think 75 percent of the women in canada are against abortion rights then its time to leave the commune.

You don't even know what you are arguing for or against.

Return to “Canada”