he has me as a vote because the drugs should be legal :130:
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: Singh takes NDP leadership

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

maryjane48 wrote:
all drugs legalized
he has me as a vote because the drugs should be legal :130:

Yes I am quite sure you would like all the drugs you can get. Then we can look forward to all of your posts being totally incoherent.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

um no . i never said i take drugs . i do believe in harm reduction stratagy though with prison for the dealers that dont get the message it isnt needed or wanted. if the govt sells the drugs then its way easier to see who the bad actors are . and being addict shouldnt be a crime when its clearly a medical condition
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

MJ - you are correct in that we need to decriminalize drug addicts. However, that is quite different form legalizing drug use.

Fundamentally, the most logical and cost effective way to solve the opiod crisis is to crack down hard on the pushers, and supply drug addicts with legal and free drugs (excluding fentanyl). Add in a good dose of housing assistance and start bringing those folks back into society.

As it stands, we provide welfare cheques that often go straight into the hands of drug dealers. When that runs out, users are forced into petty crime to get the $$ for their next fix. Then we spend a fortune on policing, courts etc. to chase them around. Makes no sense whatsoever. Does nobody any good.

When I speak of drug pushers, I include the likes of Purdue Pharma, Pfizer et al who continue to push out opiates that are over prescribed. They are really behind a big chunk of the current rash of addiction.

The elephant in the room, however, is sorting out the economic impacts of automation, offshoring, and AI (the real next threat to the average worker). None of the parties has anything close to a platform that will deal with this. When people lose their pride and hope, drugs seem like an easy out.

Mind you, I don't think any government/politicians anywhere has got that techno-economic dilemma figured out. Can't say as I can think of any significant options. AI, in economic terms, could be an economic "atom bomb" for the middle class.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Jlabute wrote:Singh wants to repeal the gay blood ban. So those with a risky lifestyle can have their blood and organ products accepted. He wants all drugs legalized. Wants to cut CO2 emissions by 2/3rds by 2025. What a dork.

“Gay blood” lol. The donor ban on gay people is completely unnecessary. I don’t know if you’ve ever donated blood, but they take a sample bag as well to be tested. These are easily tested for things like HIV. Gay people are hardly the only people to have a risky lifestyle. I say it’s about time this ban be lifted.

Here’s a segment from a parody news show that points out the rediculousness of this ban

Also it’s false that he wants to legalize drugs. He wants to decriminalize. There’s an important distinction. Decriminalizing drugs also paves the way for proper treatment. Currently many people with drug addictions cannot get help to get cleaned up, because they know if they admit to the drugs they could be imprisoned. Indeed other countries which have had drug issues and have decriminalized them have seen a positive result. Portugal for instance.

I’m liking him already.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/jagmeet-singhs-stand-on-trans-mountain-pipeline-alarms-albertandp/article36680926/

"Some New Democrats with ties to the Alberta government say Mr. Singh appears to have decided he can win seats in British Columbia by standing with its NDP Premier John Horgan in opposing pipeline development. Conversely, they say, Mr. Singh has calculated – rightly or wrongly – that it will be difficult for him to make gains in heavily conservative Alberta regardless of what position he takes on the issue. So the political math says side with B.C.

"That's absolutely a calculation that's being made," said one party member who asked not to be named."

I absolutely abhor the situation where politicians make decisions not based on facts, but based on "political calculations".

Singh is showing himself to be just another "pol" by making such "calculations". Mr. Singh and the federal NDP should be basing their approaches on what is good for all Canadians, not crass vote pandering nonsense.

Very disappointing.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

hobbyguy wrote: I absolutely abhor the situation where politicians make decisions not based on facts, but based on "political calculations".

Singh is showing himself to be just another "pol" by making such "calculations". Mr. Singh and the federal NDP should be basing their approaches on what is good for all Canadians, not crass vote pandering nonsense.

Very disappointing.

Ditto that - especially since it is looking like we are desperately going to be looking for some real choices for leadership this next election. How long has it been since we had a leader with real nation-building vision? This country has so much potential.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:he has me as a vote because the drugs should be legal :130:

Let's hope millions of Canadians who voted for Airhead JT feel the same way next election. It's time for the stupidest part of the leftist pie to flock back to the brain dead NDP mother ship.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:
I’m liking him already.

As Mr. Burns would say....exxxxxcelent.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Ka-El wrote:
hobbyguy wrote: I absolutely abhor the situation where politicians make decisions not based on facts, but based on "political calculations".

Very disappointing.

Ditto that - especially since it is looking like we are desperately going to be looking for some real choices for leadership this next election. How long has it been since we had a leader with real nation-building vision? This country has so much potential.

We get the leadership we deserve.

JT is passable. Just.
Sheer leaves me with no clear cut sense of a vision forward - a divider rather than unifier.
Singh is giving me the impression of a political calculator and "protest" type.

The old school country builders seem to be in the past. Pearson. Diefenbaker. Even PET worked toward strengthening the whole country. Now we seem to get politicians who are more concerned about what's happening on Facebook than in doing the right thing.

But the collective "we" are largely responsible for that. "We" tend to vote along party lines somewhat because they are our "team". "We" tend to pay too much attention to public lobbying outfits all the way from the Rebel to the Fraser Institute to the Pembina Institute to LeadNow and the LEAPers. "We" give those people license because we give them much credence than any of them deserve. "We" just don't seem to want to think for ourselves. Too many just go with how many "likes" something gets on a social media platform. Contrary facts become "fake news" and "alternative facts". What a load of crap.

"We" wind up with populism and the spoils of ignorance.

Return to “Canada”